No announcement yet.

Forget body punches. Leg punches are a *****

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forget body punches. Leg punches are a *****

Anyone else been accidently punched on the leg in a bout or in sparring? I never realised how much they effect your mobility until the other day. I got hit in the leg and it was sore for like 3 days. I was stomping around like a dinosaur in the ring lol. Now I know how Lucas felt vs DSG.

there are many nerves in the legs that will debilitate a non conditioned person who does not take leg kicks.....don't feel bad Tyson once entered a MMa gym and was hit in the leg by a little guy and buckled to,dont know the guys name I remember Tyson saying he almost broke his leg when he kicked him back....lol

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
      there are many nerves in the legs that will debilitate a non conditioned person who does not take leg kicks.....don't feel bad Tyson once entered a MMa gym and was hit in the leg by a little guy and buckled to,dont know the guys name I remember Tyson saying he almost broke his leg when he kicked him back....lol
      Really interesting, I will green k as soon ad I can again.

Comment

Now you know why kickboxers always do leg kicks.

Comment

When you gain enough experience, you can get away with something like a hip shot which is pretty crippling.

Sometimes you become aware of the refs positioning and you go for a body shot on the ref's blind side and land it on the hip. A couple of hard hip shots will take a leg away.

I know it's dirty but not every fight is clean.

Comment

Originally posted by -Johannes- View Post
            When you gain enough experience, you can get away with something like a hip shot which is pretty crippling.

Sometimes you become aware of the refs positioning and you go for a body shot on the ref's blind side and land it on the hip. A couple of hard hip shots will take a leg away.

One of my gym buddies was telling me something about that earlier. When he first started sparring he wore a cup protector that didn't cover the hips. His sparring partners would pound hooks right around the cup protector and hit the back part of his hips. He said he'd be thinking like "Whatever this ain't shyt" and then as he went to squat down he'd feel heavier and heavier on his feet. Those hip shots are killer man.

Comment

I was been trained by this ex journeyman before,and he knew lots of dirty tricks,1 being the hip shot, and my god that would buckle you worse than any punch in the face,get the ref on the blind side early hit that shot,and you nulify your oppenents movement........just seen as i was typing this that a few other people have mentioned it ha sorry

Comment

Hopkins has this down to an art form.

I used to train with a guy at an MMA class who would throw hip shots on a regular basis. He was also fond of slipping the jab or straight right then thundering an uppercut into the armpit.

I was chatting to him once after we'd spared and he'd caught me under the right arm (the shot made my right hand go numb). He said he'd looked for the shot 'cause he knew I was carrying an injury to the right side of my neck and figured my shoulder and the muscles on the underside of my arm would be tight!

Real sneaky ****er . . . . He went on to say that he'd watch people warming up and stretching at the beginning of sessions 'cause over time he'd figure out where they weren't supple and target that area, hence his fondness for hip shots.

He really opened my eyes to targeting areas that I wouldn't have thought about previously. I started to practice hitting opponents in the small of the shoulder just underneath the collar bone after that.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid - View Post
                  Hopkins has this down to an art form.

I used to train with a guy at an MMA class who would throw hip shots on a regular basis. He was also fond of slipping the jab or straight right then thundering an uppercut into the armpit.

I was chatting to him once after we'd spared and he'd caught me under the right arm (the shot made my right hand go numb). He said he'd looked for the shot 'cause he knew I was carrying an injury to the right side of my neck and figured my shoulder and the muscles on the underside of my arm would be tight!

Real sneaky ****er . . . . He went on to say that he'd watch people warming up and stretching at the beginning of sessions 'cause over time he'd figure out where they weren't supple and target that area, hence his fondness for hip shots.

He really opened my eyes to targeting areas that I wouldn't have thought about previously. I started to practice hitting opponents in the small of the shoulder just underneath the collar bone after that.
                  It's funny you mention the shoulder punches and Hopkins, if you notice on some of his fights before he lands a straight right he purposely throws a hard jab to the shoulder not to hurt the guy but to forcefully position him or line him up to the straight right. The guy is full of tricks like those.

There are also some things you do that don't require hitting to get the guy tired. Like strong neck hold on clinches. Pressing your opponents face with the palm side of the glove after an exchange that results in a clinch. Those are also pretty infuriating and can throw a guy out his game.

Comment

It's funny you mention the shoulder punches and Hopkins, if you notice on some of his fights before he lands a straight right he purposely throws a hard jab to the shoulder not to hurt the guy but to forcefully position him or line him up to the straight right. The guy is full of tricks like those.

There are also some things you do that don't require hitting to get the guy tired. Like strong neck hold on clinches. Pressing your opponents face with the palm side of the glove after an exchange that results in a clinch. Those are also pretty infuriating and can throw a guy out his game.
                    Oh man, that's just taken me back to one particularly filthy manoeuvre that I was very very fond of. I'd often angle my arms to block body shots and uppercuts with the points of my elbows. I got so much satisfaction from doing it but it was pure filth! . . . You can really damage your opponents hands but it almost always looks like they're at fault or it was an accident. Occasionally it would back fire and I'd burn my funny bone.

Comment

Working...
                    X