Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar Ray Robinson, Charles, Greb and Armstrong have the best resumes of all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
    Over Greb?
    IMO, yeah.

Obviously it's very debatable.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      IMO, yeah.

Obviously it's very debatable.
      Obviously it's debatable, but I think Greb has the more outstanding wins. His win over Gene Tunney has got to go down as one of the best wins of all times. Mickey Walker as well.

I'm also positive he was undefeated against 40+ heavyweights or something?

Obviously both guys resume's are filled with quality right the way through, but Greb just edges it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
        Honestly I would put Ali's against Greb no problem dude. Ali beat multiple ATGs himself; Frazier, Foreman, Liston, Patterson. Dude ducked nobody. Beating Frazier Foreman and Liston the way he did warrants high P4P rating.
        I wouldn't.

Obviously Ali's resume is stacked with great opposition, but because he started off a rather dull period of heavies in the 60s, the guys he beat didn't really have a quality resume. As in anywhere near ATG resumes.

Obviously Frazier (twice), Foreman and Liston(twice) are great names and ATGs of the sport, but the likes of Patterson, Lyle, Shavers etc don't compare to the guys on Greb's resume like Walker, Tunney, Rosenbloom, Loughran, Flowers etc who are all more or less shoe-ins for a place in the top 20 of all times! That's an insane record to have.

Greb was (to my knowledge) never beaten at heavyweight for 40+ fights, despite being a middleweight and also (apparently) slapped the hell out of Jack Dempsey in sparring. <- not like today's sparring, their sessions were witnessed by thousands of people.

Comment

Obviously it's debatable, but I think Greb has the more outstanding wins. His win over Gene Tunney has got to go down as one of the best wins of all times. Mickey Walker as well.

Obviously both guys resume's are filled with quality right the way through, but Greb just edges it for me.
          Yeah but then Charles has 3 wins over Moore which I think is better than any win Greb has.

Both have very deep and impressive resumes I don't think you can go wrong picking either one.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Yeah but then Charles has 3 wins over Moore which I think is better than any win Greb has.

Both have very deep and impressive resumes I don't think you can go wrong picking either one.
            No way Greb is below Charles.

Comment

I wouldn't.

Obviously Ali's resume is stacked with great opposition, but because he started off a rather dull period of heavies in the 60s, the guys he beat didn't really have a quality resume. As in anywhere near ATG resumes.

Obviously Frazier (twice), Foreman and Liston(twice) are great names and ATGs of the sport, but the likes of Patterson, Lyle, Shavers etc don't compare to the guys on Greb's resume like Walker, Tunney, Rosenbloom, Loughran, Flowers etc who are all more or less shoe-ins for a place in the top 20 of all times! That's an insane record to have.
              Those guys can't compare to Frazier, Foreman and Liston imo and he whooped them all. Patterson is still an ATG and Ali beat him twice. Lyle and Shavers are solid names that add to Ali's overall resume.

Comment

Therefore Greb's win over Tunney makes him so big?

... While, as everybody knows, Greb's record with Tunney is one win, one draw, one loss...

... Well, Greb was the smaller guy...

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
                  Those guys can't compare to Frazier, Foreman and Liston imo and he whooped them all. Patterson is still an ATG and Ali beat him twice. Lyle and Shavers are solid names that add to Ali's overall resume.
                  Why not? Just because they're not heavyweights? They have better resume's than those three for sure.

Patterson is by no means an ATG.

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                  Therefore Greb's win over Tunney makes him so big?

... While, as everybody knows, Greb's record with Tunney is one win, one draw, one loss...

... Well, Greb was the smaller guy...
                  Not only that - As I mentioned, Greb's resume is stacked with quality. He has 4-5 names on his resume that would be sad to miss out on most people's top 20 of all times.

I think he has 2 losses to Tunney actually although I could be mistaken. But one of those losses was highly debatable. Fact is that no one beat Tunney before or after and he was seen as being absolutely invincible.

Comment

Why not? Just because they're not heavyweights? They have better resume's than those three for sure.

Patterson is by no means an ATG.

Not only that - As I mentioned, Greb's resume is stacked with quality. He has 4-5 names on his resume that would be sad to miss out on most people's top 20 of all times.

I think he has 2 losses to Tunney actually although I could be mistaken. But one of those losses was highly debatable. Fact is that no one beat Tunney before or after and he was seen as being absolutely invincible.
                    Pretty sure Greb won 2 Tunney scraps and was robbed in one of them

Comment

Originally posted by Holywarrior View Post
                      Pretty sure Greb won 2 Tunney scraps and was robbed in one of them
                      I don't know about robberies, but Tunney retired with a 65-1 record.

Comment

Working...
                      X