Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do fighters and trainers hide certain aspects of their game?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
    I think for any fan to judge a fighter's plan based off such little video released through media workouts is just dumb. Those videos are at max like what 45 minutes long?

If you think about it they train everyday for at least 2 months, and they probably train a minimum 2 hours each day as well. So there is definitely a lot behind the scenes the fans dont see. I'm sure many coaches that like to think have many unseen talents through their brainstorming. There must be many things Nacho, Roach, Angel/Robert Garcia have not shown us.

Look at Floyd, Floyd does the same mitt work and jump rope every damn media workout so bonehead fans always think its some brand new **** because its so flashy to them. But you can almost guarantee while the cameras aren't there they are putting in real practice and not just the routines for the media.

How else would of Manny evolved from the double jab left hand fighter he used to be? We see the outcomes of these hidden tactics but we as fans rarely get to see the planning in action.
    You're right. But I don't think Manny was hiding anything. I really think that motherfker really didnt know anything else but a straight left. Unless I read the last part of your post wrong.

But how about his current style tho?

Comment

I believe the most skillful out there are able to hide certain parts of their game until its needed. That is the hallmark of skill - have the capability to learn something, perfect it.. and then be able to execute it flawlessly when called upon. Maybe you practice something a million times, but only have the need to use it here or there. bhop was a good example

it doesn't just go for the most skillful, because the sport in general is as much about subterfuge than anything else. Hiding and deceit is a big part. and that's not to mention almost all fighters are evolving and getting better, so who knows what someone can bring to their next fight.

so even for those who are considered less skillful, you might see them hiding and holding back on specific punches, combinations or movement so that they remain unpredictable and keep fighters guessing from minute-to-minute, round-to-round. Salido is someone who comes to mind. very complicated fighter

anyway, I'm not sure what shields and Lara could have up their sleeve

Comment

I think Manny's current style became apparent after the Diaz fight at Lightweight. From there he was just a different fighter, a boxer-puncher instead of a slugger. Roach really developed Manny's right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
          I believe the most skillful out there are able to hide certain parts of their game until its needed. That is the hallmark of skill - have the capability to learn something, perfect it.. and then be able to execute it flawlessly when called upon. Maybe you practice something a million times, but only have the need to use it here or there. bhop was a good example

it doesn't just go for the most skillful, because the sport in general is as much about subterfuge than anything else. Hiding and deceit is a big part. and that's not to mention almost all fighters are evolving and getting better, so who knows what someone can bring to their next fight.

so even for those who are considered less skillful, you might see them hiding and holding back on specific punches, combinations or movement so that they remain unpredictable and keep fighters guessing from minute-to-minute, round-to-round. Salido is someone who comes to mind. very complicated fighter

anyway, I'm not sure what shields and Lara could have up their sleeve
          Good post.

Im guessing body punching and combination punching? Combinations is something people think Lara can't do. Everyone thinks he's a 1-2 fighter? Is he? We'll find out if thats their plan.

Could it be their inside game? Does Lara have an inside game? Or one better than he has shown?

Comment

I'm sure they hide the strategies...but come fight night, some things will work, some won't.

So, you gotta have plan a, plan b...all the way to plan Z.

Also, you have to be able to switch styles if things aren't working.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
              I think Manny's current style became apparent after the Diaz fight at Lightweight. From there he was just a different fighter, a boxer-puncher instead of a slugger. Roach really developed Manny's right hand.
              Roach transformed Manny like no other fighter I have ever seen. Im no old timer either but I havent seen any fighter transform so drastically.

Post KO, would you say he's boxing more now? Or just my imagination?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthpawAli93 View Post
                I'm sure they hide the strategies...but come fight night, some things will work, some won't.

So, you gotta have plan a, plan b...all the way to plan Z.

Also, you have to be able to switch styles if things aren't working.
                Im not just talking about strategy tho. I'm talking about a style of fighting that we have never seen or thought they would be able to implement.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                  Good post.

Im guessing body punching and combination punching? Combinations is something people think Lara can't do. Everyone thinks he's a 1-2 fighter? Is he? We'll find out if thats their plan.

Could it be their inside game? Does Lara have an inside game? Or one better than he has shown?
                  has Lara ever body punched

I don't remember him doing it

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                    Roach transformed Manny like no other fighter I have ever seen. Im no old timer either but I havent seen any fighter transform so drastically.

Post KO, would you say he's boxing more now? Or just my imagination?
                    I would say he boxes more, but he still posses the rapid fire "out of no where" punching ability. Like that one 7-8 punch combo he threw at Bradley while Tim laid on the ropes. Its hard to say hes just a "boxer" style because Manny tends to stay in that "caution" range instead of spending majority of his time in the "safe zone" range of his opponent.

Manny is just always at the right distance to move and punch at the same time so its befuddling to describe his style. Even if he moves he'll still contort his body to land a punch that it makes opponents especially those who haven't fought him once a bit hesitant to punch.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                      has Lara ever body punched

I don't remember him doing it
                      Here and there. Nothing if big significance I think. I guess he's more a no than a yes.

Comment

Working...
                      X