Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Buster Douglas KO Mike Tyson boxing's biggest upset ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Buster Douglas KO Mike Tyson boxing's biggest upset ever?

Douglas was what, about a 40-1 underdog lol.
    Yes
    83.93%
    No
    7.14%
    Maybe
    8.93%

it may not be the biggest upset as far as two fighters skill set goes, but as far as casual fans and the public are concerned DEFINETLY

Comment

Cassius Clay over Sonny Liston 1 was another huge upset.

Comment

In a word....yes.

Comment

far and away the biggest upset in boxing...top 3 biggest upsets in SPORTS, period.

Turpin over SRR and Rahman over Lewis were pretty big upsets too

Comment

Originally posted by FootWork777 View Post
            Douglas was what, about a 40-1 underdog lol.
            42.5 to 1. I think it was the biggest upset of modern times, ranking with James Corbett over John L. Sullivan.

Comment

At that point....no one thought Tyson could ever lose. He was seen by many as the most dominating fighter to ever hit the scene. It certainly was a shock to people all over the world because of the aura of invincibility Tyson had. Biggest upset in boxing history regardless of the odds. Most people didn't think he could ever get knocked out or lose to a great let alone a Buster Douglas.

Buster stood up to him...most importantly went toe to toe with him punch for punch & showed him who was boss. I believe Evander would've done the same thing to Tyson as he did in years later but Mike WOULD've been more up to fight Evander & would not have been taken offguard like he was by Buster's bravado. Out of the 3 beatdowns he received by Buster,, Holyfield & Lewis.. I rate Buster's as the most heroic.... Holyfield's as the most improbable & Lewis' as the most devestating..each opponent faced a less formidable Tyson tHAN the one before.

What I find funny now WHEN looking back at Holy vs Tyson is that you had 2 alltime greats in the ring facing each other..yet some were predicting a knockout by murder scenario..... so I think Holyfield's destruction of Mike Tyson was the most impressive as there was hoopla & buildup surrounding it where the whole world bought Mike's aura of invincibility once again & chalked up the Douglas loss to an aberration & or one night stand.

Douglass fight was under the radar in Japan WAS LESS viewed & there were no expectations. Holyfield had to overcome the bigger odds considering peeps thought he was shot even back then & let's face it most suspected that Tyson was going to tear him up 5 or 6 years earlier when they would have met as undefeateds. The legend of Evander Holyfield was born that night IMO.

Comment

I also think ALI vs Foreman was very similar to Holyfield vs Tyson as Foreman was SEEN as invincible & Ali was seen by many as way past his best. What Ali & Holyfield did on those nights were equally shocking as they both slayed the dragon so to speak when everyone was fearing for their health. Those fights alone is why they are ranked HIGHER respectively than the 2 opponents they beat as if they would've lost to them..they'd be considered the lesser fighters by historians.

Comment

Louis vs. Schmeling I was a huge upset. Pretty much on the same level as Tyson vs. Douglas.

Comment

I watched all Tyson's fights. But that night I had a party and was getting tired of all the 1st round KO's.....

I couldn't believe when I heard the outcome.

Comment

Working...
                    X