No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis vs. Evander Holyfield 1996

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lennox Lewis vs. Evander Holyfield 1996

Who would have won if the two had fought back in 1996? Would the result be any different?

Not really. Holyfield was physically overmatched. He had a hard enough time staying with Bowe.

Of course, much depends on how cagey Lennox decided to play. Which means either he loses on points in a dour affair - or he's blasted out (see Michael Grant, Shannon Briggs etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
      Who would have won if the two had fought back in 1996? Would the result be any different?
      I'd predict another points win for Lewis in a competitive fight. They were both a little better in 1996 than 1999.

To convincingly beat Lewis, Holyfield would have to be at his absolute best. I think I'd fancy the chances of the Holyfield who turned up for either Bowe 1 or 2 over any version of Lewis. But I'm aware that this is a controversial opinion.

The early 90s Holyfield was so fast, his combinations so crisp. He had a terrific workrate and brilliant punch resistance. Very hard to decision over 12 rounds, very hard to KO!

Comment

Lennox would always be a nightmare for evander... That long jab, skill level, power and size would be tough for evander..

I imagine The 1990-92 evander would beat a 1996 Lennox though it's not a certainty.. I think their fight would look like the bowe-holy fights but just replace Bowes great inside game with lennox's great jab.. Those would be the difference makers in the fights..

1996 lennox Lewis was the best heavyweight in the world.. He beats the 1996 versions of everyone
        Tyson
        Holyfield
        Foreman
        Moorer
        Bowe
        Golata

1996 Holyfield would have little to no chance vs Lennox IMO

Comment

Working...
        X