Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Kelly Pavlik step all the way up to heavyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Kelly Pavlik step all the way up to heavyweight?

Recently there has been a lot of hype about Pavlik stepping up to super middleweight, but is there really any point? I think there is no reason for him to stay at middleweight any longer. With no real fights out there for him in the division it's time he steps up.

After he disposes of Lockett, where next is it for Kelly?

The fight most people want to see if Pavlik vs Calzaghe, however this does not seem to be a fight that is ever going to happen. Joe Calzaghe is too busy hunting down the big legend names to add to his CV, Bernard Hopkins, Roy Jones Jr, possibly Antonio Tarver, these are fighters past their prime who have established themselves already and frankly do not pose TOO much of a threat to Joe (not at this stage of their careers).

The other fight that could happen and seems popular is Froch vs Pavlik, again this however doesn't seem like it could happen since Cobra Carl is very focused on Joe Calzaghe, getting that fight, it's the fight he desperately wants (hopefully it won't turn into a Witter style obsession), besides Froch has not proven himself at a world level yet (Denis Inkin would have been his chance, but since no top 10 fighters wanted to face him he got stuck with Rybacki) so the fight isn't really in Pavlik's interest.

So where could he go? With no real fights at super middleweight, not that many options at light heavyweight (since big names like Tarver and Jones are after Calzaghe) and the only other fighter in the division now worth going after being Dawson (who isn't a huge draw), my question is this...

Could Kelly Pavlik step all the way up to heavyweight?

I'm not saying he should jump straight up there by any means, but he could take a few tune up fights on the way possibly (Dawson at light heavy for example). At 6'2" Pavlik is a very tall middleweight, he's got the hand speed, power and skills, and if he can bring some of that with him I think he could stand a decent chance in such a lacklustre division. Roy Jones Jr is only 5'11" and he fights at light heavy and has fought (for a world title) at heavy, Tyson only 5'9", even Haye is just 6'2" so Pavlik wouldn't be at a huge disadvantage physically if he could put on the weight.

He's still a young fighter with plenty of time left in him, is now the time for Pavlik to take the risk? Take a big step up in weight? And challenge some of the bigger fighters? or do you think that would be a step too far?

I'd be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this.

I can't see any reason for him to go above lt heavy. He would be fat and second rate at heavy

Roy Jones main assets were speed/reflexes which apply at higher weights. Pavliks assets, besides his endurance, are power and toughness which wouldn't be there at higher weights.

Comment

He can't move up to heavyweight and fight effectively.

He's not the fastest guy by any means at 160, moving up would make him slower and there's no guarantee that his power will carry up with him to 168 much less heavyweight. He's not a 1 punch knockout fighter at 160 anyway because he mainly wears his opponents down and then knocks them out.

Different people are built differently, Tyson and Haye are built differently from Pavlik. Pavlik bulking up would make him slower.

And Jones' main assets were his speed and reflexes which helped him when he moved up to heavyweight, Pavlik isn't that kind of fighter.
      Last edited by Silencers; 05-14-2008, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Dude View Post
        I can't see any reason for him to go above lt heavy. He would be fat and second rate at heavy

Roy Jones main assets were speed/reflexes which apply at higher weights. Pavliks assets, besides his endurance, are power and toughness which wouldn't be there at higher weights.
        Exactly fighters who box and have fast hands/reflexes are the ones with the most success moving up in weight. Kelly is a power puncher. That just doesn't translate at higher weight classes. At the most I'd say he can go is Lt. Heavy but even that is a bit of a stretch IMO. His body type to me doesn't seem fit for it.

Comment

Thats ridiculous, he probably can't even beat some of the best cruiserweights like Steve Cunningham, Tomaz Adamek, or David Haye. He certainly can't take on the best heavyweights, I doubt he can even beat Eddie Chambers. I don't even think Pavlik can beat some of the top light-heavyweights like Chad Dawson or Glen Johnson. The main asset for Pavlik is his size and power. Pavlik would lose a lot of size if he moved up to cruiserweight let alone heavyweight.
          Last edited by Boxingwizard; 05-15-2008, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingwizard View Post
            Thats ridiculous, he probably can't even beat some of the best cruiserweights like Steve Cunningham, Tomaz Adamek, or David Haye. He certainly can't take on the best heavyweights, I doubt he can even beat Eddie Chambers. I don't even think Pavlik can beat some of the top light-heavyweights like Chad Dawson or Glen Johnson. The main asset for Pavlik is his size and power. Pavlik would lose a lot of size if he moved up to cruiserweight let alone heavyweight.
            Chad Dawson,Glen Johnson,and Adamek would beat Pavlik? Really man? Cmon that's crazy talk.

Comment

Eights years later and Pavlik achieves his dream.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
                Chad Dawson,Glen Johnson,and Adamek would beat Pavlik? Really man? Cmon that's crazy talk.
                When Pavlik was active he would have lost to all three them and he never fought above 170. And what does it matter anyway, Pavlik is retired.
                Last edited by Boxingwizard; 06-02-2016, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingwizard View Post
                  When Pavlik was active he would have lost to all three them and he never fought above 170. And what does it matter anyway, Pavlik is retired.
                  It matters to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
                    It matters to me.
                    He'd beat Johnson (who was never really that good, just a solid competitor) but he'd have lost to Dawson. Adamek would have beaten him as well unless he was super drained. Adamek was a natural cruiser and had good power at that weight.

Comment

Working...
                    X