Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF Floyd ends his career with Canelo/Martinez...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
    Let me reiterate my point. Of course, i realize that 154 is not Floyd's optimal weight, and that he loses many of his best assets, that he possesses at his natural weight class.

I'm just saying that, any die hard boxing fan knows how damn skilled he is. I'm not asking him to dominate/KO, or even beat Sergio.

I'm just asking him to fight him, and show us his full arsenal/skills against someone that's naturally bigger, and almost as skillful as him.

If he doesn't win, who cares. As long as he gives him trouble, and shows off his full, technical brilliance, I'll be completely satisfied as a boxing fan.
    If you are saying "That 154 is not Floyd's optimal weight, and that he loses many of his best assets, that he possesses at his natural weight class." then why are you requesting Mayweather fight Martinez at 160lbs?

Do you hear how absurd you sound? You dont want to see floyd fight at his best, you want him to be at a physical weight disadvantage because in your heart you want to see him fail and lose. Why dont you have this same attitude towards Martinez vs Ward which is a much more balanced fight when it comes to size...
    ""If he doesn't win, who cares. As long as he gives him trouble, and shows off his full, technical brilliance, I'll be completely satisfied as a boxing fan.""

Comment

Originally posted by Architect View Post
      Who climbed 2-3 weight classes to fight Mayweather at any point in his career?? Marquez? Well that could be used had Pac not brought JMM up to 147lbs twice. Why are you trying to mislead the fellow posters? Mayweather has moved up 5 weight classes so how has he made fighters move up 3 weight classes?
      I agree with this, besides calling Manny out on the Marquez fights. They're both fighting, clearly above their best weights.

They both get my full and utmost respect.

Comment

If Mayweather was a natural MW he would dominate Martinez. There is no reason for Mayweather to fight Martinez. I agree with you, Floyd needs to stay at 147lbs and pick all of these guys off.
        true

watching the Macklin-Martinez fight was enough to show me Floyd's style would be effective against Martinez.

Macklin would use that Mayweatheresque style guard to negate Sergio's left hand. It took Martinez a lot of work to get around Macklin's guard.

Macklin kept landing rights to the body against Martinez. Unlike Mayweather, Macklin doesn't have that Black Slickness required to do fancy maneuvers such as the bob and weave after throwing a right to avoid return fire.

Martinez hands down wouldn't do him any favors against Floyd who is a master at throwing short straight shots.

Comment

If Mayweather was a natural MW he would dominate Martinez. There is no reason for Mayweather to fight Martinez. I agree with you, Floyd needs to stay at 147lbs and pick all of these guys off.
          Agree with you. Floyd has no business at 160. He doesn't really belong at 154 either.

I'm just saying that, he's so damn skilled/technical, I think he would give Canelo/Sergio a run for their money.

Again. I'm not even asking him to beat those 2. I'm just asking him to fight them. If he has great succes, then that just adds to his p4p skill status.

Comment

This is where I disagree with many boxing fans. I don't think that JMM's style is remotely similar to Floyd's, and I don't believe in triangle theories.

I think Manny gives Floyd, plenty of trouble. This is not a Floyd Vs. Manny thread, so I will leave it at that.
            I think them both being counterpunchers but mayweather being much larger and more skillfully defensive would pose pac trouble. I agree this isnt a floyd vs Pac thread but I will say this, I dont think that Manny is smart enough to outthink Mayweather, once Mayweathers adjust to Pac after the 2nd or 3rd, Pac wouldnt be able to adjust to Floyd, I think Floyd always controls his fights, he's never out of the fight and dictates what happens most of the time. It needs to happen so everyones questions can be answered. I would not discredit either fighter regardless of the outcome even if its a few years late.

Comment

If you are saying "That 154 is not Floyd's optimal weight, and that he loses many of his best assets, that he possesses at his natural weight class." then why are you requesting Mayweather fight Martinez at 160lbs?

Do you hear how absurd you sound? You dont want to see floyd fight at his best, you want him to be at a physical weight disadvantage because in your heart you want to see him fail and lose. Why dont you have this same attitude towards Martinez vs Ward which is a much more balanced fight when it comes to size...
              ""If he doesn't win, who cares. As long as he gives him trouble, and shows off his full, technical brilliance, I'll be completely satisfied as a boxing fan.""
              SMDH. I never even said, I want him to fight Sergio at MW. I said 154. The reason why I want him to fight Sergio and Canelo at 154, is because he obviously schools any WW, besides Pacman/JMM.

trust me. Any die hard boxing fan, that'S been following boxing deeply, knows damn well that NO ONE at WW, besides Pac, and JMM pose a threat to him.

Me, myself, and I will not hold it against him, for not fighting the "TOP" WW's.

I want to see his skills against naturally larger fighters. Not because I want to see him lose or get KO'd, but because I think he's too good for fighters in his natural weight class.
              Last edited by Scarcaztic; 12-12-2012, 11:45 PM.

Comment

I agree with this, besides calling Manny out on the Marquez fights. They're both fighting, clearly above their best weights.

They both get my full and utmost respect.
                Maybe JMM is because he isnt as athletically gifted as Mayweather and Manny but Pac has had 8 fights at WW and has only lost 2 of them.

Comment

I think them both being counterpunchers but mayweather being much larger and more skillfully defensive would pose pac trouble. I agree this isnt a floyd vs Pac thread but I will say this, I dont think that Manny is smart enough to outthink Mayweather, once Mayweathers adjust to Pac after the 2nd or 3rd, Pac wouldnt be able to adjust to Floyd, I think Floyd always controls his fights, he's never out of the fight and dictates what happens most of the time. It needs to happen so everyones questions can be answered. I would not discredit either fighter regardless of the outcome even if its a few years late.
                  I could see that happening as well. I'm not saying, Pacquiao, for sure wins. I'm just saying, you can't compare Marquez to Floyd.

Agree. All credit to, all 3 fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                    true

watching the Macklin-Martinez fight was enough to show me Floyd's style would be effective against Martinez.

Macklin would use that Mayweatheresque style guard to negate Sergio's left hand. It took Martinez a lot of work to get around Macklin's guard.

Macklin kept landing rights to the body against Martinez. Unlike Mayweather, Macklin doesn't have that Black Slickness required to do fancy maneuvers such as the bob and weave after throwing a right to avoid return fire.

Martinez hands down wouldn't do him any favors against Floyd who is a master at throwing short straight shots.
                    Same thing I was thinking while watching that fight. I mean asking Floyd to fight Martinez is like asking Martinez to jump to 175lbs and fight Hopkins

Comment

Agree with you. Floyd has no business at 160. He doesn't really belong at 154 either.

I'm just saying that, he's so damn skilled/technical, I think he would give Canelo/Sergio a run for their money.

Again. I'm not even asking him to beat those 2. I'm just asking him to fight them. If he has great succes, then that just adds to his p4p skill status.
                      I agree with you here

I think that Mayweather if he moved up could give Martinez a run for his money but I really havent seen enough of Mayweather even at 154lbs to suggest he would be effective at 160.

I think he would beat Canelo but I need to see Canelo vs Cotto to get a proper assessment of where canelo is at in his career. Just to validate the potential Mayweather fight

Comment

Working...
                      X