Collapse
No announcement yet.

NSB'S ALL TIME Heavyweight Tourney.#3 Mike Tyson vs #14 Rocky Marciano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyson just didn't have the mind to lose... He became too frustrated with Holyfield and in my view Marciano had a better chin and more power. The man could be losing as fight and have the composure to fight on... tyson did not. I would go with Marciano by late KO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Tyson, 5' 10" 218lbs (best weight)
      Marciano, 5'11" 191lbs (best weight)

Great match up both have a two handed attack but they have very different approaches to move in. Tyson is a side to side waist mover (ala Cus's style) and throws punches (mostly hooks) off that movement!
      Marciano is a bend at the knees and slightly forward at the waist and throws more looping shots and employs a right cross that very few heavies ever used.
      Tyson was more fleet a foot and had more hand speed but Rocky had a better judgment in distance and more ring generalship.

Mike Tyson , 50W 44KO wins-6losses KO'd 5 times! 76% ko rate
      Rocky Marciano , 49W 43KO wins ) No losses never stopped! 88% ko rate

I believe each man could win however I'll take Marciano because of his willingness to win. Tyson has shown some fragility over his career and I personally know its there. Anyone who knows him well will attest to that!

Everyone would certainly pay to see that matchup and as far as a modern day ppv it would break all records!

Ray.
      Excellent post.

We know that later on in his career it would have posed problems but Tyson as happy fighter, under D'Amato's tutelage. I'd be interested on your take on Tyson's ability to withstand Marciano's will under those circumstances. Were the cracks deep enough to be prised open even then?

Comment

The Rock wins by late KO, too much heart and his relentless punching would break Tyson. Mike was at his best when the opponents were shivering with fear and half beat before the first bell, Marciano was scared of no man and just liked to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid - View Post
          Excellent post.

We know that later on in his career it would have posed problems but Tyson as happy fighter, under D'Amato's tutelage. I'd be interested on your take on Tyson's ability to withstand Marciano's will under those circumstances. Were the cracks deep enough to be prised open even then?
          I think Tyson's willpower was very underrated. He showed incredible character against Ruddock in both fights. He was taking some brutal bombs from Ruddock and refused to fold. His heart only really started to go after prison.

Comment

I thought Mike was better at his young age, more explosive and got into the flow faster. Under Cus he had Teddy Atlas training and I know there was a good chemistry there until Mike screwed up.
            When Kevin Rooney took over he and Mike worked well because they all were under the guide of Cus. Both Kevin & Teddy fought for Cus in their past so there was no conflict from Methods & Technique adjustments.
            I think Mike at 212-218 and prior to King taking the reins was a much better fighter because he just had to fight. With King then the "wife" he was getting torn apart and started loosing his Method.
            I knew this guy pretty well from 14 till he was 20, I worked his corner at Regional & National Touneys with Teddy in the J.O. and watched him grow during that time. He was and is a fragile young man who has a lot of unanswered questions and that will bother anyone.
            People here think I don't like Mike, well I don't but I love Sunny that's my name for him. He reminded me of Liston except his smile was genuine and I could make him smile.

Tyson without his original team was 70% of what his best would have been.
            Granted most fighters can develop on their skills and talents alone once the basic's are in place but MOST fighters have an insecurity about something and their team fills that void. That's where the great trainers separate themselves from the good ones.
            Ray.

Comment

Very surprising it's this close.

Comment

IMO Tyson murks him based simply on power and speed. If somehow Rocky can last past 5 then I'll give him the nod

Comment

Originally posted by BigNuts View Post
                  Why do people keep regarding marciano as some sort of mythical destroyer?

He was 180 freakin pounds for christs sake.

Great for his time, yes. But he'd get waxed by any slightly above average heavyweight in the modern era.
                  Normally I would agree but Tyson wasn't very big either.

Staying out of this one.

Comment

Originally posted by TotalStud View Post
                    Normally I would agree but Tyson wasn't very big either.

Staying out of this one.
                    Tyson was much bigger than Marciano though and is actually a bulky Heavyweight even by the 90's and today's standards. The guy fought at 220+ and could still be fairly effective at 230. He was build like a tank and could go toe to toe against anyone(with the exception of maybe Prime Vitali due to Vitali's chin and Prime Foreman due to Foreman's pure power).

If Marciano goes toe to toe against Tyson, Marciano is getting knocked out.

Comment

Marciano is going to get hit a lot. It doesn't matter how tough you are if you keep getting hit clean by Tyson you're getting knocked out quickly.

Comment

Working...
                      X