No announcement yet.

Chicanos, Mexican American, Mexican, Hispanic, Latino...etc

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    I just got my dual citizenship a while back. I went to the Mexican embassy and they looked at my crazy when I was there to become a citizen of Mexico, not the other way around...hahah
    This is funny.
    "Rather than fearing death, a Mexican ' chases after it, mocks it, courts it, embraces it, sleeps with it; it is his favorite plaything and most lasting love."

Guerrero vs Yordan

Rubio vs Pavlik

De la Hoya vs Pac

Ortiz vs Maidona

Angulo vs Lara

Chavez Sr. Vs Hoya

Comment

Originally posted by IdNod4u2 View Post
      This is funny.
      "Rather than fearing death, a Mexican ' chases after it, mocks it, courts it, embraces it, sleeps with it; it is his favorite plaything and most lasting love."

Guerrero vs Yordan

Rubio vs Pavlik

De la Hoya vs Pac

Ortiz vs Maidona

Angulo vs Lara

Chavez Sr. Vs Hoya
      Oh look at this troll in the red...hahaha

I love the fact I piss so many people off, they come after me in droves.

Comment

Originally posted by IdNod4u2 View Post
        This is funny.

Guerrero vs Yordan

Rubio vs Pavlik

De la Hoya vs Pac

Ortiz vs Maidona

Angulo vs Lara

Chavez Sr. Vs Hoya
        The troll cAme out of his cave..

Comment

Oh look at this troll in the red...hahaha

I love the fact I piss so many people off, they come after me in droves.
          Originally posted by RIZO24 View Post
          The troll cAme out of his cave..
          Whodat??? and why he bustin Cuauh's chops???

Comment

anybody remember that fool iwatchboxing?

Comment

That's because the answers he gave weren't really as good as you are making them out to be.

His definition of Chicano is way off and to be honest, an insult to the people who carried that title. Chicano very much comes from Mexican blood. As a matter of fact, the history of that term can be traced to Mexico and not the U.S. It was used as a derogatory term for Mexicans by Mexicans and Americans alike and to think someone who is not of Mexican blood carrying that term is un heard of.

It would be like someone who is not black referring to themselves as Mandingo or Zulu.

To take on the term Chicano and not be of Mexican blood is disrespectful and not accurate. It's a mind set yes, but it's also a cultural identity that stems from the struggles our people's have had in America during the turn of the century.

It became a term of pride, as the same people who were being insulted by the term, used it as a positive term during the Chicano movement of the 1960's. It's a shame most of us don't know the real history of this word and what it meant to many of us growing up in those times.

As far as the term "Latino" you need to understand the history of this word as well. If you think you are Latino because you come from what is known as Latin America, then you are allowing yourself to be named by Europeans and white Americans who have placed that label on you.

It wasn't introduced until 2000 in the U.S Census and it's a term given to us because of the conquest of our lands by Spanish speaking Europeans.

So if you want to be labeled a Latino because your white masters named you that, then go ahead. I'm not a Latino, I don't speak Latin and even though I'm sure some of my ancestors came from Latin speaking part of the world, I don't identify with that in the least.

I am a Mexican, a Chicano or a Hispanic. I speak Spanish because of my culture, I am Mexican because of my blood and I am also Chicano because of the pride I carry for the people that have struggled in the U.S against discrimination even though we help build this great country into what it is today.
              The purpose of this thread is to give your opinion on what these said terms mean to YOU. I know the history of the term Chicano, I gave my interpretation of what a Chicano means to me though. And to me its more than just having Mexican blood. Chicano is an entirely unique culture with it's own unique dress, speech (Kalo), and attitude. You say your sad that many Mexican Americans don't know the history behind the word chicano but it's origins are disputed anyway. Meaning your definition of Chicano would also be rejected by Chicano studies laureates and scholars.

If you are going to tell me that I am bowing down to white slave masters for using the term 'Latino' you are actually bowing down further by using the term Hispanic. Hispanic means you have a direct connection to the people's of Spain. Hispanic derives from 'Hispania' another word for Espana/Spain, the sphere of the Spanish dialect. Latino on the other hand is more of a shortened phrase for Latino Americano, or Latin American. Eitherway, both of these phrases indicate a European presence, that is inescapable.

Incidentally I don't really mind being called any of those terms although I do prefer Latino over Hispanic.

Hey Cuahutemoc, off topic but, are you a member of the Mexica movement?

Comment

Originally posted by EdWins View Post
                The purpose of this thread is to give your opinion on what these said terms mean to YOU. I know the history of the term Chicano, I gave my interpretation of what a Chicano means to me though. And to me its more than just having Mexican blood. Chicano is an entirely unique culture with it's own unique dress, speech (Kalo), and attitude. You say your sad that many Mexican Americans don't know the history behind the word chicano but it's origins are disputed anyway. Meaning your definition of Chicano would also be rejected by Chicano studies laureates and scholars.

If you are going to tell me that I am bowing down to white slave masters for using the term 'Latino' you are actually bowing down further by using the term Hispanic. Hispanic means you have a direct connection to the people's of Spain. Hispanic derives from 'Hispania' another word for Espana/Spain, the sphere of the Spanish dialect. Latino on the other hand is more of a shortened phrase for Latino Americano, or Latin American. Eitherway, both of these phrases indicate a European presence, that is inescapable.

Incidentally I don't really mind being called any of those terms although I do prefer Latino over Hispanic.

Hey Cuahutemoc, off topic but, are you a member of the Mexica movement?
                I'm not trying to disrespect you brother, I just think it's necessary that we tell the truth here. It's fine if you think that Chicano is more a mindset than what it really is. I get that but there's been too much discrimination and suffering to just throw that term around so easily.

I know the history of the term is disputed, what is not disputed is who these people were that were referred to as Chicanos and why they were called that.

I agree with you about the terms Latino and Hispanic, but the actual dictionary definition of Hispanic is people who speak Spanish. So technically all you have to do is learn the language and you are Hispanic.

As far as Latino, it was given to us and wasn't even represented until 2000 in the U.S Census. It makes a direct claim of origin and we are NOT LATINOS. We have roots in Europe, but culturally we are not them. Mexico, like Bolivia, Peru and a few other countries are some of the few that don't identify with their European ancestors. Sure we carry some of the culture because it was forced on us, but the flag has an image of Mexica legend, not of some European ideal.

I have been part of the Chicano movement, and La Raza. I don't agree with the Mexica movement totally because I think the thought of reclaiming our lands is just not realistic. I also don't hate white people or Europeans, especially their descendants who have nothing to do with what happened in the past.

I do think that learning our history is important though and we should never forget where we come from, and that will help us in understanding where we are going.

Comment

I have been part of the Chicano movement, and La Raza. I don't agree with the Mexica movement totally because I think the thought of reclaiming our lands is just not realistic. I also don't hate white people or Europeans, especially their descendants who have nothing to do with what happened in the past.
                  The Mexica movement also encourages the changing of your name all together and replace it with a name in Nahuatl, which is in an effort to wipe out any European ties and to preserve your native heritage, a bit extreme if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by EdWins View Post
                    The Mexica movement also encourages the changing of your name all together and replace it with a name in Nahuatl, which is in an effort to wipe out any European ties and to preserve your native heritage, a bit extreme if you ask me.
                    I wouldn't say that's extreme. A lot of people ask why black people have such crazy names. The main reason for that is because they are trying to get there own cultural identity.

Being named Jackson, Jefferson isn't really flattering to a people who's ancestors were slaves. It's the same with us, why name ourselves Spanish names, when that's not our history. Nothing wrong with Spain, but we are not Spanish, we are Mexican and have our own history and culture.

Comment

I wouldn't say that's extreme. A lot of people ask why black people have such crazy names. The main reason for that is because they are trying to get there own cultural identity.

Being named Jackson, Jefferson isn't really flattering to a people who's ancestors were slaves. It's the same with us, why name ourselves Spanish names, when that's not our history. Nothing wrong with Spain, but we are not Spanish, we are Mexican and have our own history and culture.
                      True and I can accept Mexican parents deciding to name their children names in Nahuatl, but if you grew up as a Ramirez, Sanchez, Diaz, Perez, Gutierrez, etc. etc. and then suddenly have your name legally changed to Huemac, Malinalxochitl, Xipilli, Yayauhqui, Achcauhtli, etc. etc. wouldn't this be more damaging to one's sense of identity?

I intend to name my sons and daughters in Nahuatl, their middle names at least, perhaps even a first name in Nahuatl, but I would never encourage them to denounce their HISPANIC heritage. As proud as we are of our roots, I am also proud of the Spanish side as well and we cannot erase that side of our history by changing our names.

Comment

Working...
                      X