Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: 30 Day Weights: Gennady Golovkin 165, Kell Brook 176!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JRB123 View Post
    I like how you used that Mayweather-Canelo fight as a point of reference....you're missing a key thing there.

Why do you think I posted that pic to begin with?

Golovkin and his team made an excuse to not fight Ward...they are some of the most contradictory people in the sport.
    I don't get what you are trying to say. I see the picture. Yes - he didn't want to fight Ward at 168. And K2 never said he would. They said they would fight any fighter between 154 and 168. They never specified at what weight they would fight Ward. Not wanting to give all advantage to top three p4p is natural. Canelo was never rated as highly as Ward. Not to say he wasn't rated as good, he was. But Mayweather was not going to fight him at 154. My point is that when you move out of your weight class you assess the danger and plan [agree terms] accordingly. Ward's best win is Froch. Golovkin was willing to fight him at 168. Froch declined. Golovkin showed willingness and Froch saw danger.

Comment

• I'll keep saying it. Weight will not be that big of a factor. Yes, Golovkin is bigger and yes Brook is a HUGE WW (should be fighting at 154). The biggest factor is that Brook has never fought at 160 before. He's never been hit by a MW, he's never been under pressure for 12 rounds from a MW, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Kewl Hair View Post
        Brook probably needed to take a **** the size of a football
        Reality is he likely ate a big meal on purpose. Needs to sell the fight. The downer on this fight is his smaller size. So he had a new version greasy salty meal with a bunch of water. Now we're are talking about the fight when I wasn't even thinking about it. He still gets waxed off.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveM View Post
          I don't get what you are trying to say. I see the picture. Yes - he didn't want to fight Ward at 168. And K2 never said he would. They said they would fight any fighter between 154 and 168. They never specified at what weight they would fight Ward. Not wanting to give all advantage to top three p4p is natural. Canelo was never rated as highly as Ward. Not to say he wasn't rated as good, he was. But Mayweather was not going to fight him at 154. My point is that when you move out of your weight class you assess the danger and plan [agree terms] accordingly. Ward's best win is Froch. Golovkin was willing to fight him at 168. Froch declined. Golovkin showed willingness and Froch saw danger.
          So if that's the case, then Golovkin saw danger if he fought Ward at 168. Therefore the 164 catchweight came up...either he saw the danger, or he thought that he was the A side.

Mayweather was the A side in the matchup against Canelo, so Canelo made the concession to go two pounds under the 154 limit. Hopkins went down a couple of pounds to meet the demands of Oscar De La Hoya, when Oscar had only the WBO belt and Hopkins defended his belts multiple times and took out Felix Trinidad.

Golovkin thought that Ward would make a concession when he hadn't done anything in that weight class to even make that claim when it came to Ward

Comment

• most of which is fat and water

so yes he is too small

ggg is all muscle

brook eating big meals and drinking tons of water just to make this mismatch seem legit

Comment

• Originally posted by JRB123 View Post
              So if that's the case, then Golovkin saw danger if he fought Ward at 168. Therefore the 164 catchweight came up...either he saw the danger, or he thought that he was the A side.

Mayweather was the A side in the matchup against Canelo, so Canelo made the concession to go two pounds under the 154 limit. Hopkins went down a couple of pounds to meet the demands of Oscar De La Hoya, when Oscar had only the WBO belt and Hopkins defended his belts multiple times and took out Felix Trinidad.

Golovkin thought that Ward would make a concession when he hadn't done anything in that weight class to even make that claim when it came to Ward
              Of course he saw danger to fight Ward at 168 with no tune ups. Which recent MW wouldn't? Compared to Ward he is the A side in box office terms. Not record though - but A side is determined by drawing power. Not to say GGG is a huge A side and Ward is nothing - that aint true either. But the biggest thing was the danger - and plus he is more of a draw so that kind of negates your points about the other match-ups. K2 said he would go down to 156 or an agreed weight to fight Canelo.
              I don't think K2 thought Ward would make a concession. It was an un-make-able fight by 2015. Ward maybe couldn't even make 168 anymore and Golovkin was not giving everything up to fight him at 168 or above. Back in 2013 when they first made that claim it wasn't really recognized that Ward was struggling to make 168 - maybe he could have made 164 in 2013 but by the time he got himself sorted out legally things moved on including his ability to make weight. That is what inactivity will do for you and that is why Golovkin tries to stay more active than the average fighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by SugarRaRobinson View Post
                GGG's words to Ward :

"At our meeting with HBO they asked both of us whether or not we are ready to fight. You remember our answers........I said 'yes' and you said 'no.' Something about your shoulder or promoter. I am not interested in your reasons, I only heard your 'no.' But you remember HBO made it clear back then that this fight needs a lot of time to build up. Then why are you talking **** about excuses?"

This is equivalent to someone asking me to fight when I'm in a cast, then when the cast comes off and I'm ready, the so called bully has nothing but excuses . It's sickening, but like Ward said "If his fans are ok with the level of opposition he's fighting then it just is what it is"
                Except ward's injury was in 2013 and he had fought before this happened in 2014, but hey I got to give it to you, the effort was there.

Ward said no. Then came back and wanted GGG to drop everything to fight him, right. Nope.

He wanted GGG to drop everything so he could have GGG wait another year or so.

And as we can see with Kov and Ward, dealing with Ward is a pain. K2 wasn't about to drop their goals so they can maybe fight Ward after a year or so of crappy non-fight building tune ups.

Ward tried to screw k2/GGG over and they laughed for 36 minutes and then told him to kick rocks, come back when you got something for real.

As for level of opposition, ha, Ward just fought a 39 year old dude from the division below. GGG is about to fight a top WW. Ward v Brand 85-1, GGG v Brook 6-1.

Oh wait, but but Kovelev, Ward, fight, right. Ok, we'll see. Ward is a diva, it may happen if Kov agrees to travel to Oakland.
                Last edited by Progrssive_Jedi; 08-10-2016, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• Brook going to make thos a lot more competitive than most think,,, he will still lose, but this will be a good fight

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveM View Post
                    Of course he saw danger to fight Ward at 168 with no tune ups. Which recent MW wouldn't? Compared to Ward he is the A side in box office terms. Not record though - but A side is determined by drawing power. Not to say GGG is a huge A side and Ward is nothing - that aint true either. But the biggest thing was the danger - and plus he is more of a draw so that kind of negates your points about the other match-ups. K2 said he would go down to 156 or an agreed weight to fight Canelo.
                    I don't think K2 thought Ward would make a concession. It was an un-make-able fight by 2015. Ward maybe couldn't even make 168 anymore and Golovkin was not giving everything up to fight him at 168 or above. Back in 2013 when they first made that claim it wasn't really recognized that Ward was struggling to make 168 - maybe he could have made 164 in 2013 but by the time he got himself sorted out legally things moved on including his ability to make weight. That is what inactivity will do for you and that is why Golovkin tries to stay more active than the average fighter.
                    Wad had said he could make 160 for Floyd. People act like meeting in the middle would have been insane.

It's only came to light recently that Ward is having issues making 175, or it's not easy. If it's not easy to make 175 now, the Ward wasn't gonna make 168 comfortably in 2016. Remember, the Ward offer would have been for right about now. Ward had just fought at 172.

And he's fought mostly SMW at LHW since coming back.

I don't think Ward was ever serious. Roc had to know k2 wasn't gonna drop the possibility of three unification fights to fight Ward. The plan was to get Lee before he lost to Suanders. They had Cotto/Canelo on deck, and just signed to fight Lemieux.

Everyone knew this was going down, no way roc didn't.

They sent that email knowing damn well they were not going to get GGG in 2016. And when k2 said they'd talk early 2017, Ward was unwilling to wait an extra five months.

Comment

• Brook is obviously a boiler who shrinks to make 147. I'm not crazy about this fight but it seems like Brook is fighting closer to where he actually should be.

Comment

Working...
                      X