Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Oscar and Arum realize that none of the PBC/Haymon guys WANT to go back to them?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
    Meh - its as if there is this belief that all these great fights have been made prior to PBC

I'm indifferent - the TR/GBP cold war and various promoters with their own agenda did the sport no favors, never mind the sanctioning bodies and their own agendas that may either be aligned with a specific promoter/programmer or what have you. Never mind each state's "governing" board

Boxing is a helluva mess - I'd like to see the whole industry blown up and reconstituted much like PBC is attempting to do. If their success means the end of the WBC/WBA/WBO and all promoters - I say, lets hope for their success.

All these dudes for GENERATIONS have been mucking up the sport for so long - I mean, its a familiar trope/cliche that's been accepted, where even in movies its common place like its no big deal - I want the whole thing blown up. So lets go PBC, whenever a movement takes place, the loudest voices are always those with much to lose in the wave of progressive change - so let them - boxing doesn't need anymore toxicity that it already has.
    So why support PBC/Haymon ? He's doing what other promoters are doing. Yeah its on free TV, and I support that in principle. Other than that, what's so different?

Comment

free boxing it's not a bad idea at all, but so far, they have put bad fights except for danny/peterson and broner/porter, also thurman/guerrero. also, what mathed said is right, he has a lot of boxers, how is he gonna keep them fighting?

Comment

I am convinced this guy is on Al's payroll.

He does take his red k like a man and soldiers on!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich2123 View Post
          It's only going to get more interesting from here. So many questions.

Can Haymon keep 200+ fighters happy?
          Impossible to keep 200+ of anything happen. When Matthysse & Dirrell wanted to try other options they were given that ability which suggest if Haymon can't they should be able to walk fairly easily if these first two guys are any indication of things to come.

Will they ever be able to put one of the fights that absolutely need to happen (say, Kovalev-Stephenson) together?
          In house fights? Sure. Dealing with others? Probably not. I mean ultimately Mayweather is a "Haymon" fighter like these other 200+ guys & they dealt with TR & HBO to make that happen, but obviously that was the biggest fight in boxing history. I think as or if PBC gains more power I think more people will be open to dealing with them, but when you got the 3 biggest power brokers in the sport (HBO, TR & GBP) suing you or have you banned from their channel I can't see anything happen in the near future.

What if the PBC folds? Where will those 200+ guys go?
          I'd assume if PBC folds the fighters are still signed with Haymon. Thus Haymon just deals them out to various promoters again or probably better yet he's got a huge critical mass of fighters that can put HBO, TR, GBP, Showtime or whoever in play for the top spot in the sport.

What if HBO decided boxing is more trouble than it's worth?
          I think this happens sooner or later. HBO has been giving HBO boxing a smaller & smaller budget over the last decade or so. They got a great history in the sport, but everything ends eventually & all signs point to HBO isn't as impactful as they used to be with boxing despite being the #1 game in town still. I foresee them switching over to UFC (in 2018? when the Fox deal is over) or Bellator fights.

The business of boxing is going to be pretty interesting the next few years.
          100% agree. Just what Haymon is doing as an advisor right now should prove to be interesting in the future if more people jump on that model instead of the promoter model which has been a mainstay in the sport forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
            he has a lot of boxers, how is he gonna keep them fighting?
            If you every look at PBC cards you'll typically see between 10-20 PBC fighters on those cards in my estimation. Thats between 5-10% of his 200ish boxer roster & he's basically averaging a show a week over the course of this year so guys should be able to be as active as they choose to be. Even the 6 fight card today has 8 Haymon fighters on it.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
              How does that benefit the fans?

Haymon has created a boxng environment where no one fights each other. Where its impossible to build stars, and where what the fans want is he last thing anyone cares About.

The way you guys dick ride this dude is ridiculus. Yes, the fufhters love Haymon, they make lots of money fighting nobodies, who gives a ****? Why would you be happy about this?

Name one other sport where this **** happens, and fans are cool about it, imagine if the NFL didn't have the playoffs or a superbowl, and instead let the top team play the worst team for a championship.

You got to be the dumbest ratchet kid on the block to think this is a good thing. Look at the PBC schedule, there is one fight in over 2 months of fights than fans actually sled for.

The rest is trash, just like yur blind love for mister black master, al Haymon.
              I agree strongly with the bold. These Haymon fighters are happy because they're making big money to fight easier opponents. We're supposed to be boxing fans not promoters. Why should we care what they make if their not putting together good match ups to entertain us.

Comment

Good boxers fighting insurance salesmen, cab drivers & people ranked 77th in 2 weight classes below them & getting paid good money to do so...Why would such boxers wanna go back to GBP/TR where competitive fights happen?

Comment

People like to look at the past with rose colored glasses. There have always been promoter issues, Lennox-Tyson was about 5 years too late as well.

The only thing I worry about with Haymond is him becoming a complete monopoly on the sport.... with Arum like 82 years old, when he dies, Haymond will be looking to take even more from the TR stable. Then you dont have any competition in the promoter relm, so everyone has to deal with whatever haymond gives us.

I dont buy all of this speculation that he will run out of money though, there is no way to know where he stands without seeing all of his raw numbers. The guy knows what he is doing and he aint in this for charity. Like I said before, look at PBC and Mayweather's 6 fight showtime deal.... Haymond placed the financial risk on others and not himself. Haymond will profit whether or not showtime and the PBC investors profit.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                    People like to look at the past with rose colored glasses. There have always been promoter issues, Lennox-Tyson was about 5 years too late as well.
                    100%. To hear some people talk about boxing pre-Haymon you'd think white unicorns & white doves walked fighters into the ring.

The only thing I worry about with Haymond is him becoming a complete monopoly on the sport.... with Arum like 82 years old, when he dies, Haymond will be looking to take even more from the TR stable. Then you dont have any competition in the promoter relm, so everyone has to deal with whatever haymond gives us.
                    I hope Haymon's end goal is to be the NBA, MLB, UFC, NFL, NHL or World Cup of boxing & be what people keep defining as a monopoly, but is more like being Walmart or Amazon in the retail world.

If thats not his goal ultimately he's just a newer version of the old staple & nothing will change in boxing. It'll just be a new manager/advisor/investor type power structure instead of the current promoter driven power structure.

I dont buy all of this speculation that he will run out of money though, there is no way to know where he stands without seeing all of his raw numbers. The guy knows what he is doing and he aint in this for charity. Like I said before, look at PBC and Mayweather's 6 fight showtime deal.... Haymond placed the financial risk on others and not himself. Haymond will profit whether or not showtime and the PBC investors profit.
                    100%. I'm sure PBC spent a pretty penny to start off, but thats not unusual. I think people are severely overestimating whats being spent & underestimating whats coming in. From hearing most people talk about PBC cards they are paying 100% of TV production, paying $6M in purses for every card, letting everyone in for free & not taking in a penny for sponsors.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post

Haymon will not personally run out of money, he will clean up and is running to the bank with his percentage after every card. But he is not investing any of his own money in PBC and when the investor money runs out, PBC will fold. At the rate they are losing on every card, this should take about two years, roughly the duration of the time buy they made.

So far, Haymon has not made one star. In fact, UFC has more known stars than there are in Haymon's stable. Actually... UFC RING GIRLS are better known than ANY PBC boxer. UFC knows how to make money. I do not know how recent it is, but I noticed a few cards ago, and I am watching UFC Fight Night on Fox right now which reminds me, that all the UFC fighters now wear the same Reebok trunks and t-shirts with their names and UFC written on them. That sponsorship deal alone probably brings in more money to UFC than ALL the sponsors of PBC bring in combined.

Comment

Working...
                      X