No announcement yet.

Ufc 197!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
    If true, than this is what a fighter is. Doesn't duck anyone. Fights the best fighters. While we have are big stars waiting to marinate fights and looking for how to have a advantage over a fighter.
    Yup. I can totally understand the logic of "marinating" a fight from a greedy promoter's standpoint. I can even understand it from a fighter's standpoint if his primary motivation is money and not legacy.
    What I can not understand is the fans of the sport cheering this mentality. I read it on NSB all the time. Arum & TMT certainly aren't solely responsible for it. The "fans" have played a massive role in it as well by paying for bull **** PPVs just to see their favorite fighters in person.
    This upcoming UFC fight is the real deal.

It'd be like Canelo/GGG at 160 for MW crown, and a stacked undercard.

And that's what I hope comes from this. Boxing will start to get penis envy as a UFC star transcends the sport a la Tiger Woods, Floyd, Pac, Jordan.

Boxing will need to compete at casuals switch focus. And this includes chicks bc Conor is now being sold by Rolling Stone as "sexiest" and blah, blah. But that's how Oscar got to be so massive. He had women going ape ****, in addition to guys showing up to see him fight.
    NSB'ers don't want to hear it, but casuals (the people who truly make a PPV huge) don't give a **** if it's boxing or MMA. They're turning up to see a big event--to be a part of a cultural phenomenon.

War Conor, War RDA!
    Last edited by nveleven; 01-08-2016, 10:44 AM.

Comment

They should of made Edgar vs McGregor instead. Had the winner fight Dos Anjos at UFC 200. McGregor has balls but Dos Anjos is just a whole other animal right now.

Glad Holms gets to stay busy. Tate will be tough no doubt about it. Holms is the better striker but Tate can shoot a double unlike Ronda. Tate can scrap in the clinch but Holms bullied Ronda there so I wouldn't take my chances there. Tates best bet is too be aggressive with boxing and mix in takedowns. Rinse and repeat and hope she grinded out 3 rounds. I got Holms 4th round TKO though but I wouldn't be surprised if Tate went the distance and made it a close fight.

Comment

Originally posted by $BloodyNate$ View Post
        They should of made Edgar vs McGregor instead. Had the winner fight Dos Anjos at UFC 200. McGregor has balls but Dos Anjos is just a whole other animal right now.

Glad Holms gets to stay busy. Tate will be tough no doubt about it. Holms is the better striker but Tate can shoot a double unlike Ronda. Tate can scrap in the clinch but Holms bullied Ronda there so I wouldn't take my chances there. Tates best bet is too be aggressive with boxing and mix in takedowns. Rinse and repeat and hope she grinded out 3 rounds. I got Holms 4th round TKO though but I wouldn't be surprised if Tate went the distance and made it a close fight.
        I hear you, but you gotta hand it to Conor. He was very clear and vocal about beating Aldo, immediately moving up to take the lightweight crown, and then going back and forth between divisions to hold two titles simultaneously.
        Incredibly ambitious (esp the massive weight drain as he nears 30), but it just shows where his heart is. Dude believes in himself. Could be a victim of believing his own hype OR could be the move that sets him apart.
        Either way, Edgar will certainly get his shot in 2016 if Conor takes out RDA.

Comment

Might be the greatest fight poster ever.

Last edited by Eastcoast; 01-08-2016, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I'm going to try to get tickets. Awesome card. Hopefully there are no injuries in any camp leading up.

Comment

I would have rather seen Connor vs Pettis. RDA mauls him.

Comment

Originally posted by $BloodyNate$ View Post

Yeah I agree, Miesha's best bet is to use boxing and mix in her wrestling to keep busy and land strikes on the ground. I could also see her getting takedowns and keeping her down to try to grind out a win, as that's what she's done to win her last 4 fights. I like both of them. I'm kind of pulling for Miesha, but won't feel too bad if Holly wins, as she's also likable.

Comment

On the surface, yeah, he should get props for taking this fight, but let's be real. The guys really a LW, and should've and would've made his UFC debut at LW, but Dana wanted him to fight at FW to make the division interesting. McGregor said he wanted to make his debut at LW.

And RDA's gonna beat his ass.

And I think Holly's gonna destroy Miesha worse than Ronda. Miesha plays into Holly's hand even more than Ronda. She comes in swinging like a wild, and sloppy brawler, and while she utilizes TD's, and not upper body judo throws, she's not explosive or as strong as Ronda. I think Holly's gonna river dance all over her, and catch her clean, right off the bat.

Also, I think Holly's confidence is through the roof, and since she knows she can beat the crap out of the best fighter in the division, she's gonna start stepping into her punches now, and really commiting. I don't think she's gonna fear anyone's grappling anymore, unless it's a Sara McMann type, because she attacks your lower body with TD attempts, and not upper body, which is easier for a defensive grappler.
                  Last edited by CatchAndShoot; 01-10-2016, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Respect to McGregor for even wanting to fight RDA. Thats about the riskiest fight out there for him. And super respect to McGregor if beats him cuz I think there are a lot of cats expecting RDA to f#ck his **** up, myself being one of them.

The weird thing is gonna be if McGregor loses to RDA then the Aldo W is gonna be discounted or seen as a fluke by some people cuz I don't think RDA gets nearly the respect he deserves.

Comment

Btw cool of the UFC to throw Holm on this card to try to build her up to keep the womans divisions alive post-Rousey. They coulda easily put Holm on Demetrious Johnson duty for this fight & thrown it wherever.

Also anyone like Cruz over Dillashaw coming up? Cruz been like humpty dumpty with his ass falling apart for the last 5 years or whatever at this point, but he looked like a f#cking beast after his previous layoff. Any chance that he goes beast mode vs TJ or just too much to ask of him after all his injuries vs a higher caliber cat?

Comment

Working...
                      X