Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alvarez needs to stop ducking the entire 154 pounds division.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chucky4u6 View Post
    Angulo
    Kirkland
    Lara
    Vanes
    Serg
    Golovkin
    Trout
    Cotto
    Thurman
    154 is packed with talent
    Yeah, but again which name there on that list keeps GBP and Showtime PPV happy with the choice?

A business now a days.

Comment

gingerboy shouldn't even be fighting on ppv yet

Comment

Canelo is the 2nd best Irish fighter in the history of Ireland.
        Behind Tyson Fury.

I think he's better than Micky Ward. Not sure yet.

Comment

Originally posted by fceeviper View Post
          Yeah, but again which name there on that list keeps GBP and Showtime PPV happy with the choice?

A business now a days.
          All of them...imagine canelo for first time against a top 10 JMW..will be awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by FightScorer View Post
            Canelo is the 2nd best Irish fighter in the history of Ireland.
            Behind Tyson Fury.

I think he's better than Micky Ward. Not sure yet.
            You stupid bastrd he's Mexican

Comment

Originally posted by fceeviper View Post

A business now a days.
              What big draws has Alvarez been fighting besides these guys? Since that's apparently what people are arguing he's been doing, now.

What a terrible argument. Golden Boy is doing what's good for business, but don't pretend that "good for business" means anything other than "keeping him away from anyone that's a risk."

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                This may be true, but we as fans will always address the fighter, not the promoter. It's like if a fighter gets robbed (decision) in Vegas, the fans don't go after Jerry Roth or whoever the judge was; normally they go after the promotion company, promoter (Arum) or use "they" as a reference.

But back to the matter at hand, off the top of my head I've seen several interviews from boxingscene where Richard Schaeffer gave an interview saying they would ask Canelo who he wanted his next opponent to be.

Last time I read an interview like this given by Schaeffer, somehow Canelo ended up fighting Lopez

The very last time I read an interview, the fighters Canelo mentioned were Mayweather, Cotto and Martinez.

So we'll see what happens this time around.

But based on the interviews given by boxingscene in the last few years, the balls been in Canelo's court this entire time.
                Originally posted by Angry Cuban View Post
                That's bs ..he could said to his promoter that he is a JMW and he want to fight JMW like everybody else..but he prefer the old and small guys...he said that josesito lopez was a good fight for him...this kid is not good for the sport..
                I don't want to pull the "I'm in the fight biz" card but I am in the fight biz. I been a trainer now for over a decade and I can tell you that only the top, elite fighters truly have a say so in who they fight. Guys like Mayweather for example can reject or go after a certain fighter but for the rest of the fighting world, it's the promoters that make fights.

I think Canelo is open to anyone, the thing is he's a money making machine so they want to make shows where maximum profit is made. So while I would love to see a fight between him and Trout, it wouldn't be worthy of a PPV and at this stage they want him only fighting on PPV like Pac and Mayweather do.

I know you guys don't want to hear this, but boxing is a business first and foremost. It's about making money and putting butts in the seats. We as fans can want certain fights but they won't happen unless fans are willing topay for them. We can fault ourselves for that because we are quick to want to see a certain fight but aren't willing to pay for it.

I don't think Canelo is scared to fight anyone at 154 or even 160, it's his promoters that will set up the fights and dictate what is best for his career. Calling him a ducker or scared is ignorant and shows that you don't understand the business side of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  I don't want to pull the "I'm in the fight biz" card but I am in the fight biz. I been a trainer now for over a decade and I can tell you that only the top, elite fighters truly have a say so in who they fight. Guys like Mayweather for example can reject or go after a certain fighter but for the rest of the fighting world, it's the promoters that make fights.

I think Canelo is open to anyone, the thing is he's a money making machine so they want to make shows where maximum profit is made. So while I would love to see a fight between him and Trout, it wouldn't be worthy of a PPV and at this stage they want him only fighting on PPV like Pac and Mayweather do.

I know you guys don't want to hear this, but boxing is a business first and foremost. It's about making money and putting butts in the seats. We as fans can want certain fights but they won't happen unless fans are willing topay for them. We can fault ourselves for that because we are quick to want to see a certain fight but aren't willing to pay for it.

I don't think Canelo is scared to fight anyone at 154 or even 160, it's his promoters that will set up the fights and dictate what is best for his career. Calling him a ducker or scared is ignorant and shows that you don't understand the business side of boxing.

I hear what you're saying about boxing being a business, but even from a business standpoint, Canelo's last 6 opponents or so haven't even made business sense.

For instance, Alphonzo Gomez, Ortiz, Kermit Cintron, Josesito Lopez, Matthew Hatton, Baldomir, ect aren't bringing in anymore money than Vanes, Lara, Molina (even though I hate him), Trout, Angulo, Healthy Kirkland with schit together, ect....

In other words, let's play devil's advocate. Even from a business standpoint, none of Canelo's opponents haven't made anymore sense than what can be provided at 154.

And before anyone says "he's been to young all this time until now", that's not true. Because how can you be ready for P4P the best fighter in the world (i.e Mayweather), but not be ready for Trout, Lara, Vanes, Kirkland after he beat Angulo before the Molina fight, ect....

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                    I hear what you're saying about boxing being a business, but even from a business standpoint, Canelo's last 6 opponents or so haven't even made business sense.

For instance, Alphonzo Gomez, Ortiz, Kermit Cintron, Josesito Lopez, Matthew Hatton, Baldomir, ect aren't bringing in anymore money than Vanes, Lara, Molina (even though I hate him), Trout, Angulo, Healthy Kirkland with schit together, ect....

In other words, let's play devil's advocate. Even from a business standpoint, none of Canelo's opponents haven't made anymore sense than what can be provided at 154.

And before anyone says "he's been to young all this time until now", that's not true. Because how can you be ready for P4P the best fighter in the world (i.e Mayweather), but not be ready for Trout, Lara, Vanes, Kirkland after he beat Angulo before the Molina fight, ect....
                    Those are two different things you are talking about now. There's a difference between managing a fighter properly and avoiding or ducking opponents. Whether you like this excuse or not, Canelo was too young at 20 yrs old to be thrown in there with the best of the division.

We talk all the time at how guys like Fernando Vargas was thrown in too early vs Trinidad and it ruined his career. They don't want to do that with Canelo. Now you make some good points in that he should now be fighting the best, I agree. Let's not forget he was scheduled to fight Victor Ortiz (a fighter Mayweather fought) Kirkland, Paul Williams and Cotto. All of those fell through because of losses or injury so I don't know how anyone can accuse Canelo of ducking anyone.

He is at the point now where he is looking for the big payday, as a fighter you might get one in your lifetime if you are lucky. It's just like an NFL player going to another team for a big contract, your 1 injury away from not getting that money so you need to be real careful and make sure you get it while you can.

Again, I see your point but with all due respect, being in the boxing biz for over a decade, I have seen an underside to the sport that isn't pretty but it's the way it is for a reason. I think Canelo was going to make some big fights this year but injury and losses have changed that.

Comment

• Every fighter wants a nice pay-day, but what has Canelo accomplished to warrant a fight with Mayweather? It's not like he cleaned out the division (or even attempted to), he doesn't even have one note-worthy LMW on his resume after 10 fights at the weight-class. All I hear is, "well he tried to make fights with P.Will and Kirkland..." as if it's the equivalent to actually fighting them.

Comment

Working...
                      X