No announcement yet.

Ricky Hatton: Honest Analysis Please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Felixion View Post
    I've followed Ricky Hatton's career for many years and attended a number of his fights, including those two which he lost. Both in fairly dominating fashion.

What confuses me though, is why so many in the community write him off as a "bum" or "shot" because of two losses. Not only are there only TWO losses, but they were both to fighters who at the time of the fight were considered the best in the world.

So what we can deduce from that is "Ok, he's not the best in the world", but there are many fighters, Luis Collazo, Miguel Cotto, Joshua Clottey, Juan Diaz, Sergio Martinez, Winky Wright, I could go on for days that ARE NOT and WILL NEVER BE the best in the world. Despite this many people support them, and very FEW people are going off about how they're shot.

Why is it Ricky can't just be a good fighter who isn't quite great enough to fight the best? Why is he "SHOT" and a "BUM" because he can't beat the p4p kings? It makes no sense.
    In most cases they don't hate on him I believe... most here bring him up in conversations about Mayweather or Pacquiao... and will say to each other that he was a bum and not a real challenge...

Ricky Hatton was an good fighter... I also think many put a little hate on him because he can laugh about himself... most seem to think that a boxer has to be all business and stuff... and if a crazy Brit comes around... who walks around in a fat-suit and call himself Ricky Fatton... they don't know how to handle it...

I enjoyed Hatton... I only wished that he would not have hold so much on the inside and throw more punches at times... he just met two boxers who were simply to good for him... no blame for that I mean you could go on and list the fighters who lost to May and Pac... it's no shame

Comment

At his best he was better than your average world champion, but just short of a pound 4 pound guy, that is my assesment. He was stuck between those levels, though, on any given night he was capable of beating a p4p guy basically because of his will to win and had a hard style to deal with, fast feet, fast hands, got his shots off and didn't allow the other guy to put together any shots. But on a bad night he was also capable of losing to an average world champion.

In terms of him returning I think he probably still has his physical tools, power speed, but the punch resistance is gone, and I think mentally he will be shot after that pac loss, if he comes back to championship level which I have no doubt he will, he will most likely be knocked out again. He could beat paulie, kotelnik, but the belt holders will knock him out, and I think marquez would too though I give him a chance to win a decision in that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
        I think Hatton gets the "bum & shot" thing alot because of the way he blows up in between fights, he doesn't have alot of big names on his resume - Castillo, Tsyu, Mayweather, Manny, Mallinaggi.

he's lost 2 of those, recently, and hasn't looked as good as he did pre-floyd since.

Hatton is my favorite fighter, i don't think he's a bum, i hope he's not shot, but his lifestyle may have caught up to him.

I do think he's underskilled to fight the p4p kings, but what he lacks in skill he makes up for in heart and bully. (but p4p skill beats heart)

I think if Hatton needs to hit more people in the nuts in early rounds, all his great fights and upsets, usually involve him retaliating and hitting someone in the nuts... he's embarassing defeats... no nut punching.... coincidence? You decide
        Comedian in the house! hahhahaha

Comment

Interesting.

It always just pisses me off when there's talk of his comeback and people roll their eyes like "Oh god Hatton can't fight ANYONE". Give the guy some respect. World champion. Many fights, good career. He can still tangle with a lot of guys in WW and LWW.

Comment

I've followed Ricky Hatton's career for many years and attended a number of his fights, including those two which he lost. Both in fairly dominating fashion.

What confuses me though, is why so many in the community write him off as a "bum" or "shot" because of two losses. Not only are there only TWO losses, but they were both to fighters who at the time of the fight were considered the best in the world.

So what we can deduce from that is "Ok, he's not the best in the world", but there are many fighters, Luis Collazo, Miguel Cotto, Joshua Clottey, Juan Diaz, Sergio Martinez, Winky Wright, I could go on for days that ARE NOT and WILL NEVER BE the best in the world. Despite this many people support them, and very FEW people are going off about how they're shot.

Why is it Ricky can't just be a good fighter who isn't quite great enough to fight the best? Why is he "SHOT" and a "BUM" because he can't beat the p4p kings? It makes no sense.
            Because he got knocked out in TWO if the most embarassing knockouts of recent memory.

Comment

Originally posted by vanillacoke View Post
              Hatton was a decent fighter and beat some good fighters like Kostya Tszyu, Jose Luis Castillo, Paulie Malignaggi and Luis Collazo, and ad to that he has a fan friendly style and always wanted to fight the best. Sadly though he is even more hated by the Americans than a proven cheater Antonio Margarito, which is strange to say the least. I'm mean look around this place and you'll notice that Margacheato is way more respected than Hatton is by the Americans. The Americans claim Hatton is an overhyped bum yada yada yada... a bum doesn't become a lineal champion and two weight world champion... his two losses came against two all time greats. Ricky Hatton was a good fighter who always fought the best, and nobody is saying that he is anything more than that.
              Hatton was a decent fighter but I dont see how people think he had a crowd pleasing style.

TBH the reason I dont like him is because of his fans. I saw the Hatton/Castillo fight in Vegas and the Brits booed during the US and Mexican National anthems. I thought that was in very poor taste and showed no class at all. Its no wonder Americans dont like him(as you guys are saying) after dispays like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Xcusemymood View Post
                Hatton was a decent fighter but I dont see how people think he had a crowd pleasing style.

TBH the reason I dont like him is because of his fans. I saw the Hatton/Castillo fight in Vegas and the Brits booed during the US and Mexican National anthems. I thought that was in very poor taste and showed no class at all. Its no wonder Americans dont like him(as you guys are saying) after dispays like that.
                I don't like him because he does NOT have a 'crowd pleasing' style, because he hugs, wrestles and fights dirty, he makes nonstop excuses for losses and poor performances and finally because he weakly ceded defeat to Pacquiao by explaining, 'he's not that much better than me.' I saw a video of Junior Witter boldly challenging him and he seemed, to me at least, to be diffident and evasive about accepting it...something about Witter needing more high profile fights and entertaining performances. It seemed like smoke and mirrors to me.

Comment

Rickey was a semi high level fighter with one hell of a fan following that never really matched his boxing skillset.

Comment

Ricky won fights with his heart and his chin. He was able to walk through punches and fight on the inside. He is an underated body puncher and has some decent boxing skills. His first instinct how ever is to brawl. His defense or there lack of is what got him into trouble with Mayweather and Pacquiao. The fact that he is personable outside the ring has a poormans mentality and hangs out in pubs does wonders for him inbetween fights. The fluctuation of his weight has been down played by him giving himself the nick name Ricky Fatton.

All that aside to me Ricky is a likeable guy with a crowd pleaseing style. His face first brawling technic combined with his inside fighting skills and body work took him along way. The fact that fans are calling him shot to me is not due to a lack of what he is now compared to what he used to be more than his mental state and the quality of opponents he is now facing. To me Ricky is not a shot fighter nor is he or was he ever a bum. He dramatically stepped up the level of competition and fought two of the best at their peaks. No shame in trying to be the best and failing. He can always claim he was one of the best of him time at 140lbs.....Lefty

Comment

Originally posted by Xcusemymood View Post
                      Because he got knocked out in TWO if the most embarassing knockouts of recent memory.
                      Lets not forget that Thomas Hearns got knocked out by Hagler in 3 rounds.....nobody said he was shot, just when you get two offensive fighters in the ring together...people get knocked out.

Doesnt mean hes shot, i just question whether his desire is really there anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X