Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roach Says Pacquiao will KO Cotto/The WBO wants to force Cotto to defend the Title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roach Says Pacquiao will KO Cotto/The WBO wants to force Cotto to defend the Title

Roach: "We are going to Ko Cotto"

Wednesday, 22 July 2009
    Carlos González / Primera Hora

The trainer Freddie Roach is an avowed fan of Miguel Cotto. However, he hoped that his fighter Manny Pacquiao will KO the Puerto Rican boxer when confronted on November 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

"I have nothing bad to say about Cotto. I think he is an excellent athlete who is always well prepared for his fights, but I trust in the abilities of Manny and understand that we will KO Cotto, "Roach said yesterday during a telephone interview with Primera Hora from the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles , California.

Roah also said that it will be an exciting fight.

"No doubt there will be a war. Manny and Miguel are have many similarities in their styles of fighting, but the speed of Manny will be too much for Miguel, "said Roach, who has twice been awarded the prize of Trainer of the Year by the Boxing Writers Association of United States .

Regarding the agreed weight of 145 pounds, Roach did not show concern.

"That will not be a problem. For me it's the same at 143 or 145 pounds. Both boxers will come to fight, they are at their best times of their careers and will be an unforgettable night, "he said.

Roach part of the promotional tour with stops in Los Angeles, New York and San Juan.

WBO wants to cash in

The president of the World Boxing Organization (WBO), Francisco "Paco" Valcarcel, said yesterday that it still is not ruled out the chance that Cotto's WBO Welter Weight belt (147 pounds) will bet at satkes against filipino Pacquiao.

"Wait and see," only said Valcárcel when asked about the consequences of the agreement he signed for his scepter Cotto is not at stake.

"They will see the light at the end of the road. All I can say is that we must assume that the fight will be for the title, "he insisted.

However, Gabriel Peñagarícano, legal adviser of the Criollo boxer said "I will not enter into a debate with the WBO or any other body. There is an agreement between the promoter (Bob Arum) and fighters. "

When asked if Cotto would give up his title, his counsel replied that he "has not been referred to" the possibility.

http://www.primerahora.com/diario/no...a_cotto/317683
    Last edited by Ch@mpBox@PR; 07-22-2009, 02:08 AM.

3 things I get from this.

1.Even though Roach said they will KO Cotto he doesnt sound to confident about it.

2. We still dont know whats up with the belt. As of now is not as stake because is a stipulation on the contract. I dont know how the WBO will have a ay on the matter other than stripping Miguel!!!

3. The WBO even though not as bad a organization as the WBA or IBF they still are a bunch of greedy bastards. they want to cash in on the fight!!!!!!
    Last edited by Ch@mpBox@PR; 07-22-2009, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post
      · things I get from this.

1.Even though Roach said they will KO Cotto he doesnt sound to confident about it.

2. We still dont know whats up with the belt. As of now is not as stake because is a stipulation on the contract. I dont know how the WBO will have a ay on the matter other than stripping Miguel!!!

3. The WBO even though not as bad a organization as the WBA or IBF they still are a bunch of greedy bastards. they want to cash in on the fight!!!!!!
      great....if cotto loses he still a champ?......aint that a *****.....oh well....it was a vacated belt anyways so who the **** cares about that belt?....he can have that.....lol

Comment

Roach should STFU. The last time he made a prediction about Cotto he was wrong. Cotto will beat Pacquiao by KO!

The WBO should also STFU. They won't get a peny from Cotto so they can ***** all they want. Cotto ain't paying no fee.

Comment

Of course Roac says Pac will KO him. What else would he say? Fight is still a WW fight, so it might as well be for the belt. And anytime a sanctioning body can grab a fee they're damn well gonna do it. I'd be surprised as hell if they didn't approve the strap bein at stake.

Comment

Pac hasnt taken ONE flush punch to the head or body in over 3 fights.

I think Ill go with Miguel in this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post
              3 things I get from this.

i think freddy is just being humble. its like what he said in the article, he likes miguel. so there is no need for trash talk. unless cotto hires pbf sr out of the blue then the smack talk is on

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
                Of course Roac says Pac will KO him. What else would he say? Fight is still a WW fight, so it might as well be for the belt. And anytime a sanctioning body can grab a fee they're damn well gonna do it. I'd be surprised as hell if they didn't approve the strap bein at stake.
                The contract already done and is not for the WBO title. The only thing they can do is strip Cotto because he won't pay fee.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
                  Thing is theres a stipulation that the belt wont be at stakes.

Its in the contract so the WBO can ***** and whin all they want, they wont get a peny from this fight.

They will stripp Cotto for sure!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Animalistic View Post
                    The contract already done and is not for thw WBO title. The only thing they can do is strip Cotto.
                    Shockin if that's fact, but **** it then. Cotto don't need the belt. He's ranked #2 at WW with or without it. Takes the luster off Pac's end of this, so it's just a suicide mission for $. Still a gr8 win for him if he somehow got it, but I wonder if his team knew ahead of time it wouldn't be for his 7th title.

Comment

Working...
                    X