No announcement yet.

Austin Trout: "If we want too we can push this litle dude around"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DAN916 View Post
    This fight pisses me off. It could have been a great fight. Delvin waited until the 11th and 12th to let his hands go.

A few things I noticed, and I'd have to go back to other Trout fights:

1). He's open to right hands. Not Cotto's strongest suit, but he's been using it lately, since the shoulder surgery. I think he's going to rely on it.

2). Delvin did find success throughout the fight with lead left hooks, Cotto doesn't have the height and reach so I doubt he'll implement, but it's there for perhaps someone else to exploit.

3). Trout keeps his right elbow firmly tight and keeps it consistently there, Cotto won't have his left hook to the body there from the open, he'll have to sneak it in, in extremely close quarters

4). His right elbow is tucked tight, but in his guard, he keeps his elbows wide apart, exposing his midsection. Maybe because Delvin has a lanky frame that he didn't expose it too much, but I think there is an opening to do alot of damage that'll free up say the left hook to the liver.

So saying all that, I think Cotto's key to success is a left jab into the midsection followed up by a right hand up top.

For Trout, I think if he goes backwards, he's letting Cotto have his way. I also think Cotto will bring that good defense he had in the Floyd fight, with a little more refinement, so Trout is going to have to bring that overhand right on fight night and make Cotto step back. The one punch that has always hurt Cotto in his career is the left uppercut and Trout has a good left uppercut, doesn't always use it, but now doesn't seem like a bad time to use it more. He's going to have to throw them overhand rights to open up the guard and sneak them in

I still see his about a 7-5 fight for Cotto

Comment

Trout's advantages are height, size, and youth. Translated he should be stronger, out of range, and have better stamina. Here's the problem: Trout has the laziest jab this side of Dawson so I don't see him keeping Cotto so far that Cotto won't land his heavy lead jab. Secondly Trout simply doesn't have KO power which for me along with speed is what you need for Cotto to respect you in the ring. Thirdly youth, Trout's work rate is atrocious which is the single most important thing you need to beat Cotto. At his age he should be throwing 75-85 punches a round, he doesn't. We all know he'll be gassed by the 10th round because he ain't no spring chicken. Trout has all the tools but its simply not a good matchup. He needs a dude that is a plodder and less skilled. Both of which Cotto is neither. Diaz has made Cotto a counter puncher and much more technical as well as improved his balance. This fight might be so tactical that it becomes boring. I know I know Cotto isn't ever really in boring fights... But this one has the potential to be.

I like Trout but the gap between he and Cotto is a canyon. Won't even be close.
      Last edited by MikeRo1972; 10-03-2012, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X