No announcement yet.

atg's that bent the rules?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
    His accomplishments while young are impressive, I guess it's more so where as an ATG you would rank him, when I think of atg's I think of top ten at that weight and mike doesn't fall in that top ten for me
    he isnt on the level of ali or louis,, but he should be on the bottom half of a top ten list,,
    Tyson 86-89, there isnt alot of heavyweights i would say could beat him,, and just using a top ten in a weight class is not a good way to determine ATG rankings, because heavyweight as tons of depth to it,, Morales and Barrera might not be top 10 featherweights but they are considered ATGs

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      It's arguable, sure. He beat some great fighters. I wouldn't say so though myself, HOF worthy of course but I don't think I'd consider him an ATG. Borderline perhaps?

Definitely don't agree that he has one of the deepest resume's in history though. unless you're including his loss's?
      Yes, wins, losses and draws. One helluva resume!

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
        He said all time greats. Tyson doesn't apply
        Yeah he does, he's an ATG heavyweight.

Comment

Oh yeah and what about Wilie Pep? Or did he only foul Saddler because Saddler was fouling him? And why would the ref allow so much fouling? Was he incompetent or corrupt?

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
            Yes, wins, losses and draws. One helluva resume!
            Oh well if you include loss's then yeah he's got one hell a resume but I don't include them myself.

I consider close loss's like the Lamotta series for example but clear loss's I don't include.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Oh well if you include loss's then yeah he's got one hell a resume but I don't include them myself.

I consider close loss's like the Lamotta series for example but clear loss's I don't include.
              Most of his defeats, came during the dawn, and the twilight of his career.
              And nearly all of them, were close. He was only ever stopped 4 times in 232 bouts..
              Won and lost against Armstrong and Burley, stopping Henry in the process. Who else did that!.. May not be an atg ww champ, but he's definitely an atg fighter, who gave em all hell

Comment

Michael Carbajal went after the nuts like they were punch mitts

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Oh yeah and what about Wilie Pep? Or did he only foul Saddler because Saddler was fouling him? And why would the ref allow so much fouling? Was he incompetent or corrupt?
                  Waiting for someone to say Pep
                  The way he talks about the fight he didnt seem to have any problems with fouling a bit to get the W

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                    Harry Greb and my favorite fighter Roberto Duran come to mind are there others.
                    Every fighter bends the rules, something as simple and common and holding a fighters arm in a clinch so that he can't use it is illegal but every single fighter on the planet does it. Amateurs do it lol

But famous fighters who often got away with a few sneaky shots here and there include Greb, Ali, Hopkins, Hearns, Duran, Hagler, Floyd, and many many more.

Comment

Incredible that Eusebio Pedroza hasn't been mentioned yet. He was a frequent user of both elbows and low-blows. To be honest with you, he was simply a dirty bastard.

Wilfredo Gomez was another one that often was brutally dirty.
                      Last edited by greeh; 12-02-2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X