Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Must Be Because All The Best Prospects Are in the NFL and NBA!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LeoReyes View Post
    I think that has to do with the average size of Mexicans.

Really though, what is the point in my debating with the "jabs don't count in boxing" guy? You've proven time and time again to be nothing but a troll and an idiotic one who hardly follows the sport at that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_h...ound_the_world

American's aren't that tall on average.

North and East European are taller but a few inches on average.

Comment

• Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_h...ound_the_world

American's aren't that tall on average.

North and East European are taller but a few inches on average.
      They don't have Mexicans lol, I'm Mexican and I'm 6ft tall, I live in one of the most heavily populated areas filled with Mexicans, and I'm almost always the tallest Mexican by far. Most people (grown men) are just 5'6, Asians are even smaller than Mexicans.

The USA is filled with all kinds of people, Asians, Indians, middle eastern etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
        They don't have Mexicans lol, I'm Mexican and I'm 6ft tall, I live in one of the most heavily populated areas filled with Mexicans, and I'm almost always the tallest Mexican by far. Most people (grown men) are just 5'6, Asians are even smaller than Mexicans.

The USA is filled with all kinds of people, Asians, Indians, middle eastern etc.
        Mexico 1.630 m (5 ft 4 in)

You are probably a giant down there.

Indonesia 1.580 m (5 ft 2 in)

Philippines 1.619 m (5 ft 3 1⁄2 in)

Pacquiao is actually a giant in Philippines

Comment

• Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post

But an average for all American would include them too.

Nutrition is very important to height as well. Obviously genetics is the major factor though.

Comment

• Originally posted by D4thincarnation;11713887[I
            ]Don't follow the game,[/I] but power seems favorable to speed.

Does the training consist of more weights or plyometrics ?

then why do you think you are credible?

you freely admit you know nothing about the sport

and here you are, showing us how foolish you can look in one thread

the men in the NFL come in all shapes and sizes above 185-90 lbs or so

their training is widely varied.
            skill players are very well rounded in their training.
            some of them wake up in the morning and run a few miles, just like sombody training to box.

almost any skill player in the NFL is a gifted, all around athlete

to think they would simply gas out in boxing is laughable when you look at the current american crop
            (a bunch of fat bastards)

but you're the guy who doesnt think fast twicthing muscle fibers are involved with basketball and football

and who still considers himself an expert on whether or not the athletes in these sports would make good HW boxers

i found you a hat:

Comment

• Originally posted by LeoReyes View Post
              Here is just a snip of Ray Lewis' workout routine.

That guy is 250 lbs of essentially nothing but fast twitch muscle. I'm fairly certain 99% of the heavyweight division would drop dead from a heart attack from just those exercises listed. 90 minutes of 20 yard sprints in sand while wearing a 45 pound vest...three times a day...
              And yet the argument is that he and his ilk would make great boxers? What, are fights fought over three rounds now? Boxing is primarily an endurance sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                i'd take nadal over thompson any day of the week

walk him into my gym at 12 years old
                and i'll kick every fat **** like thompson and arreola right the **** out of there.

he might not be a HW right away
                but he'll be a better boxer than thompson if he's given the time

tony thompson is slow as mollasses
                he has the talent of a dude walking around on the street
                True. Thompson is a horrible athlete and one of the slowest guys I've ever seen in a boxing ring. Yet he's also determined, disciplined and mentally tough, which have helped him achieve what modicum of success he's had. There are tons of more athletic guys in boxing who haven't achieved what he's achieved because they lack these qualities. Saying that I'm still shocked everytime I see Thompson win a fight, lol.

Would have been interesting to see what sort of HW/CW/whatever Nadal would have made, along with any top athlete in any sport. Ain't going to happen though, unfortunately.

Comment

How is that nationalistic?

I'm not the one making excuses for America decline on the heavyweight scene.

Pro boxing has grown immensely in the world over the last 30 years, but rather than give credit, some want to make excuses why America does not rule the roost anymore.

Which great Ameican heavyweight could have made a good Basketball player or NFL player but some of you seem to think it could go the other way.

Skills in sports are rarely transferable, and even rarer in skilled sports.

And even if some guys that could have made good boxers end up in other sports, you don't think other countries have the same problem.
                  Agree with most of this except the bold. The HW scene has declined in the last decade and stagnated. I don't dispute that. What I do dispute is the reason why that happened. I think the problems are internal, others think it's external. That's my main point of contention.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
                    After reading the last couple pages, I'm siding with D4thin on this. He does bring up really good points.
                    Except for the gaff about NFL not requiring fast twitch muscles I agree.

Comment

I have nothing against America, but I hate people just searching for unfounded excuses.

As boxing grows expect world champions being spread out across more countries.
                      Exactly, yet people have a problem with that for some reason.

Just taking the US HW scene in isolation, big money sports obviously affect the size of the talent pool going into boxing, which like in almost every other country in the world, is a second-tier sport. A shambles of an amateur system, coupled with lack of success at the Olympics level produces less top level talents or those who can be promoted as such. Over-priced PPVs, poor matchmaking, poor promotion and greedy promoters compound the problem in the pros. Lack of interest by HBO and a shift from US to Germany for big fights means fewer Americans are exposed to the top heavyweights.

It's all just a massive clusterfuk, and I could totally sympathise with anyone who feels the same way. I know the HW scene in the US is dire. What I hate is this thinly veiled nationalistic excuse that just blithely ignores all the myriad problems to focus the blame on something which, whilst it definitely has an effect, no one can do anything about. Besides which it's only ever used to poke jabs at this current heavyweight division and its champions, and as wish fulfilment fantasies. And it really doesn't hold water.

Let's go back a bit to Louis's era, when boxing was one of the top sports in America. Where were all these awesome athletes then? Why did the division comprise oafs like Abe Simon and fat barflies like Tony Galento? Why were even top contenders like Max Baer crude, backhanding sluggers? The passage of time and nostalgia has lent a golden sheen to these fellows, but with the exception of Louis and a few others, they were not great athletes.

Now fast forward to the Golden Era. Filled with athletic talent right? Well, aside from Ali and Norton not really. Foreman? Strong but slow as an ox and crude. Shavers? Not unathletic, but hardly a top level athlete either. Frazier? You only have to look at his performance on Superstars to see he was neither fast nor particularly physically strong. As pure athletes, which is what this argument seems to be about, they would not have stood out from the crowd. What they could do, of course, was fight, which is all that matters, and all that has ever mattered, in a boxing ring.

Comment

Working...
                      X