Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am Having My Douts With Lennox Lewis's Greatness...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    Why not? What makes him so unlikeable? I haven't seen much of his career yet.
    Many people who don't like Lewis consider him aloof and very egotistical. They may not be wrong either. But one thing you can say about Lennox is that he has never embarrassed boxing with his out of the ring behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Many people who don't like Lewis consider him aloof and very egotistical. They may not be wrong either. But one thing you can say about Lennox is that he has never embarrassed boxing with his out of the ring behavior.

The only thing that was embarassing was his constant repetition of the word "Absolutely" and his generally bland commentating skills.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
        The only thing that was embarassing was his constant repetition of the word "Absolutely" and his generally bland commentating skills.
        Lewis was awful as a boxing commentator. Definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rado View Post
          Rubbish. When he lost to Kirkland Laing he was 31 and still in his prime. When he was knocked cold in two rounds by Hearns he was 32, and still in his prime.
          Just because you're 31 doesn't mean you're prime. Wilfred Benitez was washed up in his 20s ffs.

Several of his best wins took place after or just before those two losses, including some at higher weights than those fights were at; and he gave Hagler all the trouble he could handle after the Laing defeat and only one fight before the loss to Hearns.
          Several of Ali's best wins came after HE was past-prime. Robinson had some of HIS biggest wins past-prime. Biggest wins does not mean you're in your prime.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Why not? What makes him so unlikeable? I haven't seen much of his career yet.
            Not for what he does in the ring. What he does outside.

Mainly because he talked nonsense most of his career; From his cringeworthy confrontation with Bowe all the way to his recent hour long interview on Ringside.

He never takes responsibility for any of his loss's or bad performances, it's always an excuse. Instead of saying "The better man won tonight, I'll prove myself in the rematch that I'm really the better man" something most of us saw him as very capable of (he later went on to prove he was by beating them) instead he would say "Oh, I was out of shape" "Oh, the ring was too small" etc etc.

Even when he beat Klitschko, he refused to adknowledge he was losing the fight. Who cares if he was losing? He busted his face wide open to the extent it had to be stopped. That is a legit win. Instead of whinging and moaning to Larry Merchant what he should have said was "On my worst day I hit him enough to bust his face up so it had to be stopped". What he did say, I didn't like.

We all know Mike Tyson was an idiot outside the ring and did alot of stupid things, ridiculous things. But you have to respect him for having no excuses when he lost. When he lost to Douglas, he didn't say and still doesn't say " I was out of shape, I wasn't focused on training" etc he simply says "The better man won" For every loss he had expect maybe Holyfield 1. But in recent years he admits Holyfield was simply the better man on the day.

Plus, Lewis is just in love with himself pretty much.

Not taking away nothing from him as a fighter, he's a great fighter.

He's just not a likeable guy, to me.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Not for what he does in the ring. What he does outside.

Mainly because he talked nonsense most of his career; From his cringeworthy confrontation with Bowe all the way to his recent hour long interview on Ringside.

He never takes responsibility for any of his loss's or bad performances, it's always an excuse. Instead of saying "The better man won tonight, I'll prove myself in the rematch that I'm really the better man" something most of us saw him as very capable of (he later went on to prove he was by beating them) instead he would say "Oh, I was out of shape" "Oh, the ring was too small" etc etc.

Even when he beat Klitschko, he refused to adknowledge he was losing the fight. Who cares if he was losing? He busted his face wide open to the extent it had to be stopped. That is a legit win. Instead of whinging and moaning to Larry Merchant what he should have said was "On my worst day I hit him enough to bust his face up so it had to be stopped". What he did say, I didn't like.

We all know Mike Tyson was an idiot outside the ring and did alot of stupid things, ridiculous things. But you have to respect him for having no excuses when he lost. When he lost to Douglas, he didn't say and still doesn't say " I was out of shape, I wasn't focused on training" etc he simply says "The better man won" For every loss he had expect maybe Holyfield 1. But in recent years he admits Holyfield was simply the better man on the day.

Plus, Lewis is just in love with himself pretty much.

Not taking away nothing from him as a fighter, he's a great fighter.

He's just not a likeable guy, to me.
              "I'ma knock you out"
              "Come and knock me out then"
              "I'ma knock you out"

Or something along those lines

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                Just because you're 31 doesn't mean you're prime. Wilfred Benitez was washed up in his 20s ffs.
                Duran was very much still in his prime when he was 31.

Comment

No he wasn't. Nor was he in his prime weight-class.

Poet

Comment

I disagree. Can you elaborate on your idea of prime and also explain when Duran showed that he was still "Very much still prime" at 31?

Comment

Working...
                    X