No announcement yet.

Pope meets with Fidel Castro

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pope meets with Fidel Castro

Pope Benedict met with Fidel Castro in Cuba on Wednesday — but not before preaching against “fanaticism.”

The island nation’s Communist leaders were in the front row as the pontiff called for more religious freedom.

“It must be said with joy that in Cuba steps have been taken to enable the church to carry out her essential mission of expressing her faith openly and publicly,” Benedict told the crowd of 300,000.

“Nonetheless, this must continue forward.”

He quoted a Bible passage about men persecuted by a king choosing a fiery death over betraying their conscience.

“There are those who wrongly interpret this search for the truth, leading them to irrationality and fanaticism,” he added.

“They close themselves up in their truth and try to impose it on others.”

Vatican watchers said the remark was an obvious slam of Cuba’s treatment of dissidents. The pope has expressed support for them during his three-day visit.

After the homily at Revolution Plaza, the pope met Castro, his wife and two children.

The 85-year-old ex-president, who was wearing a warm-up jacket, grilled Benedict about changes in church liturgy and joked about their advanced age.

“Yes, I’m old, but I can still do my job,” the 84-year-old pope said, according to Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi.

Lombardi described the visit as “a cordial reception although less expansive or enthusiastic than the one he received in Mexico,” where the pope stopped before coming to Cuba.

“This doesn’t mean there was less sincerity and perhaps underlines the fact that this is an event that’s even more rare for the Cuban people than it is for Mexicans.”

With News Wire Services

Finally the Nazis and the commies make friends.

Comment

I thought Fidel was dead.

Comment

Castro looks like that old man from Game of Thrones

Comment

Originally posted by piojo del norte View Post
          I thought Fidel was dead.
          Nah, he just stepped down in favour of his brother Raoul.

Comment

Fidel needs all the help he can get, his days are numbered.

Comment

Working...
            X