Shane Mosley's prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shane Mosley's prime

I hear a lot about Shane Mosley's "prime"

I have to ask. When was this "prime"? When he was beating B level fighters at one of the worst lightweight divisions in boxing history and being fully overrated for his accomplishments against the formidable Philip Holidays of the scene? When he was taking EPO and steroids in the early 2000's to beat Oscar De La Hoya and fellow steroid user Fernando Vargas?

I guess that everyone has a prime, but I wonder exactly how good Mosley ever really was and what he's ever really done legitimately to deserve the respect he's gotten. He fights everyone, sure, but when he fought everyone was he fighting them because he knew he had the special pills and shots to beat them? He certainly wasn't fighting everyone at lightweight, not that there were many to fight.

Mosley's best performance was against Margarito. That was his last hurrah, and who knows, he may have been using EPO then too considering how poor his stamina looks now in comparison.

Originally posted by Tomislav III View Post

I have to ask. When was this "prime"? When he was beating B level fighters at one of the worst lightweight divisions in boxing history and being fully overrated for his accomplishments against the formidable Philip Holidays of the scene? When he was taking EPO and steroids in the early 2000's to beat Oscar De La Hoya and fellow steroid user Fernando Vargas?

I guess that everyone has a prime, but I wonder exactly how good Mosley ever really was and what he's ever really done legitimately to deserve the respect he's gotten. He fights everyone, sure, but when he fought everyone was he fighting them because he knew he had the special pills and shots to beat them? He certainly wasn't fighting everyone at lightweight, not that there were many to fight.

Mosley's best performance was against Margarito. That was his last hurrah, and who knows, he may have been using EPO then too considering how poor his stamina looks now in comparison.
    his best performance was against Oscar

he jumped from lightweight to fight the champion at 147

Comment

About 10 years ago when he was the P4P King

People forget how bad he had looked in fights before Marg.

Comment

97/98 to 02.

His best performance was against DLH in 00'. People often say he was best at lightweight, but I thought much of that simply had to deal with weaker opposition. He looked really good in all of his first 5 WW fights with the exception of the Rivera fight. He looked great in the DLH fight at 147.

Comment

go research they man. He was a beast.

Comment

Mosley has been shot since the second Vernon Forrest fight

Comment

Definitely his last days at lightweight and the fights before losing to Forrest. If Vernon Forrest, who had Shane's number, isn't around, Mosley might have been p4p #1 for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomislav III View Post

His stamina is gone because hes damn near 40. Not everyone is a Hopkins, he has the legs and stamina at this point similiar to Roy Jones, but Mosley still has a fantastic chin left though. Still has fast hands compared to other fighters in his weight class but his real problem is his workrate and he paws with the damn jab rather than snapping it. He has the "cant pull the trigger" syndrome which affects his accuracy. In his prime though he was the man. He had something like a 85% KO ratio after 35 or 36 fights if im not mistaken. Even with the PED's I still think De La Hoya would the first fight and the second I would still probably give Mosley even though it was close. Hes a hall of famer though no doubt.

Comment

Exactly man.

The Oscar fight was his prime. After that, it was all downhill. He got exposed against Forrest and was never the same.

If you watch everyone of his fights after that you see just how much he labored in every fight.

Watch the Estrada, Cruz, Mayorga, Wright, Cotto, Mora, Mayweather, Collazo fights.

He wins some of those but looks awful doing it and the ones he loses are embarrassingly bad.

He is one of the most overrated one dimensional brawlers of all time. He gets a lot of respect mostly cuz' he's a nice likeable guy.
                  MikeyMike100 MikeyMike100 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Subtraction View Post
                    Exactly man.

The Oscar fight was his prime. After that, it was all downhill. He got exposed against Forrest and was never the same.

If you watch everyone of his fights after that you see just how much he labored in every fight.

Watch the Estrada, Cruz, Mayorga, Wright, Cotto, Mora, Mayweather, Collazo fights.

He wins some of those but looks awful doing it and the ones he loses are embarrassingly bad.

He is one of the most overrated one dimensional brawlers of all time. He gets a lot of respect mostly cuz' he's a nice likeable guy.
                    I agree with that entire quote. Also, if he didnt have such a great chin, he would have 10 or 11 losses instead of 6

Comment

Working...
                    X