No announcement yet.

Personal Favorites That Might Not Be All-Time Greats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
    Martinez is a considerable distance away. His two wins would have to be vs. Mayweather at 154 and Ward at 168 for him even to be considered. Other than that, he has a few decent wins but they definitely do not stand up against the test of time.

Gamboa is 31 and has no big wins of note. None. He'd have to fight and beat 7 or 8 world class fighters from here on in to even have a shot at being thought of as an ATG, and that's not going to happen.

Your standards must be very low if you think either fighter is close to even being HOF worthy, nevermind being ranked as one of the greatest fighters of all-time.
    I'm pretty confident that Martinez will end up in the HOF, assuming he doesn't fall apart before he retires. Less worthy fighters than him are already there. ATG is another story of course.

Comment

For me, Martinez would have to take out Geale and Golovkin plus the winner of Froch-Kessler, / or plus Ward and probably a name like Mayweather and/or maybe Canelo in a couple years if he moves up to 160, to be considered for ATG status.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        and who is "Micky" hatton?
        Micky is Ricky when I started to say Micky Ward and switched to Ricky Hatton while forgetting to correct the first name.

Comment

Favorites

Ray Boom Boom Mancini - was fun to watch
          Gene Hatcher - Tough Guy
          Howard Davis Jr. - Just had no power at all
          James Buster Douglas - You had to love his win over Tyson
          Arturo Gatti - He looked paid off against Mayweather, heck he never even tried to throw good punches, the fight was a joke.
          Lupe Pintor - Always fought his heart out & a tough guy
          Rocky Lockridge - Love representing his country & another tough, but nice guy who always gave his all.
          Iran Barkley - another nice guy that gave his all & had some great wars

Comment

Trevor Berbick
            Ernie Terrell
            Earnie Shavers

Comment

Michael Nunn

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Okay, so I was just wondering which boxers you guys like that are personal favorites of yours that you always enjoyed watching, but aren't or might not be considered all-time greats, but maybe greats or pretty good during their era....
                So who do you guys like that either aren't talked about much here or that might not be considered all-time greats or that might be considered good in their era but not all-time?

I have three favorites who I most enjoy watching, and they might be All-Time Greats. I am not sure if people talk about them here.

The Master of Aggression

Freddie "The Tacoma Assassin" Steele
                Fantastic footwork with blistering left hook attacks, often with knockdowns as a result. His right cross against the body was debilitating, and his right hook against the head was extraordinary. His combinations against the body were not the fastest or the best, but they were still effective. Just a delight to watch his explosive attacks. Unfortunately, he suffered a cracked breastbone when only 24 years old, an injury that wouldn’t heal. He fought a few times with the injury before retiring only 25 years old.

The Master of Combinations

Walker “Ray Robinsson” Smith Jr
                Great at adapting to his opponents different styles. Excellent footwork and a devastating uppercut. Intense and fast combinations, an effective jab and a very good right hook and cross. A joy to watch the diversity of his craft.

The Master of Defence

Charley Burley
                An extremely defensive fighter who managed to tame his opponents’ aggression with his fine defensive techniques. Just a pleasure to watch such artistic, innovative and ingenious defence. However, one of his fights was stopped in the tenth round by the referee because of inactivity, and the match was claimed a Non Contest Fight, so his terrific craft wasn’t appreciated by everyone.

Last edited by Philantro; 06-15-2013, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X