No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Please, God, Not Dawson-Ward: Review, Ratings Update

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Please, God, Not Dawson-Ward: Review, Ratings Update

They are the two best fighters in their divisions, 168 and 175 lbs. respectively. They are also the reigning lineal World Champions of those domains. Saturday night, after finishing his business with Bernard Hopkins and winning the World Light Heavyweight Championship, the larger man, Dawson, suggested he’d love a showdown with Super Middleweight king Andre Ward.

[Click Here To Read More]

Mr Rold is off basae here. Yes, Ward-Dawson potentially is potentially a stinker. But, its a very meaningful fight that probably mean a lot more than we realize when it was going on. Jones-Hopkins (I won't label it with a 1 because the first is the only one that matters) was a stinker that was buried on a Riddick Bowe undercard. Who would have ever guessed then that it was a match-up of the best two fighters of that era and woud be the most historically relevant fight of that time? Not every fight is gonna be Corrales-Castillo I, nor should it be. The stinkers are what makes the great fights GREAT FIGHTS. In the end, Ward and Dawson are the best two fighters in that weight range. And IMO, anyone not wanting to see that fight isn't a true fight fan.

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
      Mr Rold is off basae here. Yes, Ward-Dawson potentially is potentially a stinker. But, its a very meaningful fight that probably mean a lot more than we realize when it was going on. Jones-Hopkins (I won't label it with a 1 because the first is the only one that matters) was a stinker that was buried on a Riddick Bowe undercard. Who would have ever guessed then that it was a match-up of the best two fighters of that era and woud be the most historically relevant fight of that time? Not every fight is gonna be Corrales-Castillo I, nor should it be. The stinkers are what makes the great fights GREAT FIGHTS. In the end, Ward and Dawson are the best two fighters in that weight range. And IMO, anyone not wanting to see that fight isn't a true fight fan.

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
        You should have read the piece instead of just the headline. Also, no one thought Hopkins-Jones I would suck when it happened and it isn't that historically significant. It's more of a 'here's two great fighters facing off before they quite emerged' type thing.

Dawson-Ward is fine...later. At least a couple fights later than now.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
          You should have read the piece instead of just the headline. Also, no one thought Hopkins-Jones I would suck when it happened and it isn't that historically significant. It's more of a 'here's two great fighters facing off before they quite emerged' type thing.

I agree. Both fighters need some serious exposure first or else this would be Bradley/Alexander all over again.

Comment

Ward doesn't fight that badly, come on. He actually does something other than lower his head like a rhino.

I'd love to see Dawson-Ward. Honestly, as long as Dawson fights someone relevant I don't care who, because he's spent too much of his career fighting rematches or no one.

Comment

I think it's a fight we need to wait a year or even two for. I know so many fights have been spoiled by waiting and one guy losing before it could happen but this fight between the second and third best Americans needs time.

Comment

I dont think Dawson will ever really be as popular as Ward is. The bay area has good sports fans similar to st. Louis in thay regard.

I would like to see Dawson avenge his loss to Pascal first but he seems to be tied up. Maybe a fight with Kessler is an option.

Comment

I disagree with the writer. Ward -Dawson would be a great fight between 2 fighters in their prime who are both complete boxers. It would be the technical fight we've seen in a while. But I wanna see Ward-Bootay first....and Dawson-Pascal or Cloud.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post

I read the piece brother. I simply disagreed with it. You seem to not be interested in the fight based on it potenitally being a bad match-up. You also seem to want to let the fight build. I disagree with both points. Every fight isn't gonna be Gatti-Ward. And not every fight is gonna maximize its earning potential. Mr Arum sat around and waited for Gamboa-Juanma to build. Now its nothing. And there's examples of that throughout the history of boxing. If these boys wanna fight nown, it should be praised, not criticized.

BTW, when the two best fighters of an era share a ring, its doesn't get any more historically relevant than that. Just because it doesn't have a near half decade worth of pointless soap opera BS doesn't make it any less significant.

Comment

Working...
                    X