No announcement yet.

How Great Was Oscar De La Hoya?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoldenGloveLove View Post
    He refused to go anywhere near Winky Wright by offering him his biggest payday and having Wright turn it down? That doesn't make any sense.
    There was never an offer made to Wright to fight Oscar. Arum himself said that there was no money to be made in fighting Winky Wright.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
      He lost to Trinidad, Hopkins, Mosley, Mayweather and Pacquiao, had disputed wins over Ike Quartey, Sweet Pea Whitaker an Felix Sturm and refused to go anywhere near Azuma Nelson or Winky Wright (maybe we can blame this one on his promoter, Bob Arum).

He wasn't great enough to ask the question, "How great was Oscar De La Hoya."
      De La Hoya Is an all time great, there Is simply no dispute. Every loss you mentioned other than Hopkins and Pacquiao was very close on the cards. The guy fought everyone, thats more than we can say about some other fighters.

Comment

There was never an offer made to Wright to fight Oscar. Arum himself said that there was no money to be made in fighting Winky Wright.
        No, you're wrong, bro. Sorry. Wright admitted he was given the offer himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
          Just a hair below good enough to be considered great.
          Spot on imho. I always thought he was really good, maybe even really really good, but never great.

We all know he beat tito, I even think he may have beat shane the 2nd time, give him those and u could make a decent argument that he passes the greatness threshold by a narrow margin, but if we go that route, than there's a couple wins we'd have to take away from odlh.

From a marketing standpoint, HE WAS GREAT, top 10, arguably top 5.

Comment

I have news for you, rookie. Oscar received a gift score in every fight he fought in, even the ones he lost, because he was Oscar De La Hoya. Mayweather won nine rounds of that fight easily, fighting with gloves that Oscar picked for him and at a weight that Oscar chose.

If the Pacquaio/De La Hoya fight had gone 12 rounds,it would have been a split decision victory for Pacquaio because one of the judges would have given seven rounds to Oscar. Very similar to what judges do for Saul Alvarez now.
            I would say this post is a little over the top. He did get some decisions he shouldn't have i.e. the sturm fight in my opinion. but all of those 'disputed' decisions were close. I had the Mayweather fight 8-4 in Mayweather's favour also.

He was also on the wrong end of a few bad decisions i.e. trinidad who I had Oscar a clear 9-3 winner and Mosley which I think he did enough to win.

With regards to Mayweather's gloves and weight. Come on. You sound like a Mayweather fanboy. Oscar was the star and the champ at 154. Mayweather challenged Oscar, not the other way around so it's natural that they'd fight at his weight with his gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              I would say this post is a little over the top. He did get some decisions he shouldn't have i.e. the sturm fight in my opinion. but all of those 'disputed' decisions were close. I had the Mayweather fight 8-4 in Mayweather's favour also.

He was also on the wrong end of a few bad decisions i.e. trinidad who I had Oscar a clear 9-3 winner and Mosley which I think he did enough to win.

With regards to Mayweather's gloves and weight. Come on. You sound like a Mayweather fanboy. Oscar was the star and the champ at 154. Mayweather challenged Oscar, not the other way around so it's natural that they'd fight at his weight with his gloves.
              I think your "Bad decisions" is a good choice of words. People use the robbery word way too freely. His fight with Tito was probably the only robbery, the others were just bad decisions for and against Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhang Yong Jun View Post
                Tito fight was not given away!

But then what can a wise man like me expect from Cotto fanatic! The Cotto fan more delusional than the worst Pacquiao or Mayweather fanatic!
                So True. But I have seen some really delusional pacquiao fans who think the debut Pacquiao beats a Prime Muhammad Ali. You can't get more delusional than that.

Comment

Originally posted by pvj View Post
                  I think your "Bad decisions" is a good choice of words. People use the robbery word way too freely. His fight with Tito was probably the only robbery, the others were just bad decisions for and against Oscar.
                  Yeah or just close decisions that could have gone either way.

People have a guy winning by 1 round and then call it a robbery if he doesn't win.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
                    When hoya was cash cow, we never used the word "duck" or "boring".
                    AMEN. Unlike some Thug criminal(s) out there that only want to fight/beat women.

Comment

Plenty of fighters took late career/past-prime defeats and against much lesser fighters and we don't judge them by it. If we started doing that recently then we need to re-evaluate a whole lot of people

Comment

Working...
                      X