Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amateur boxing suspended indefinitely in California.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ophqui View Post
    so how are amatuers any more at risk because people outside the ring are drinking or gambling? what a bizarre story, they repeatedly say that amatuer boxers are at risk, i was expecting some amatuer margarito type ****, not a man having a beer outside the ring. whats the problem exactly? the only shows i;ve fought at where people werent allowed to drink were championships/tournaments, where theres absolutely no atmosphere at all, all the shows i've boxed on with a good atmosphere and attendance have had alcohol present, i have no idea what their problem is
    Then I guess we should start letting 8, 9 or 10 year old's be allowed in bars then, right? I'm an amateur boxing official, primarily a referee - and this kind of crap is what is killing this sport. If you want to make money - then have a pro show. If you want to do a fundraiser - where ALL of the money goes BACK TO THE CLUB, then host an amateur boxing show. Don't place a veil over one and call it the other. The problem is this is yet another black-eye for the sport and the kids are the one's that are going to be hurt by it. If Noonan thinks he (and the CAC) has the ability to govern the amateur boxing shows in Cali - he's completely out of touch with reality. On the flip side - for USA Boxing to effectively regulate the activities at a show would have to enforce procedures that would likely result in a dramatic decrease in the amount of shows that coaches are able to hold. Again - thanks to jack-offs like Sonny Marson and Santos Soto - the kids are going to be negatively impacted no matter how this turns out.

The Ref

Comment

you guys should still be able to fight, I've fought events they called kickboxing or something so they wouldn't need usa boxing. we were all boxers and we just pretty much boxed with our shoes off. I did it to get some experience without it going on my ametuer record.

Comment

Originally posted by fight game View Post
        you guys should still be able to fight, I've fought events they called kickboxing or something so they wouldn't need usa boxing. we were all boxers and we just pretty much boxed with our shoes off. I did it to get some experience without it going on my ametuer record.
        The "need" for USA Boxing to oversee the LBC that is hosting the show as well as the sanction-holder; is about the safety of the boxers. If you compete in an event that is not held in complete compliance with the guidelines of USA Boxing - and you get hurt - you have no coverage outside of your own private medical insurance. That's the big picture. The other plus is having officials that are competent and well-trained with a wealth of experience.

The Ref

Comment

Originally posted by TheRef View Post
          Then I guess we should start letting 8, 9 or 10 year old's be allowed in bars then, right? I'm an amateur boxing official, primarily a referee - and this kind of crap is what is killing this sport. If you want to make money - then have a pro show. If you want to do a fundraiser - where ALL of the money goes BACK TO THE CLUB, then host an amateur boxing show. Don't place a veil over one and call it the other. The problem is this is yet another black-eye for the sport and the kids are the one's that are going to be hurt by it. If Noonan thinks he (and the CAC) has the ability to govern the amateur boxing shows in Cali - he's completely out of touch with reality. On the flip side - for USA Boxing to effectively regulate the activities at a show would have to enforce procedures that would likely result in a dramatic decrease in the amount of shows that coaches are able to hold. Again - thanks to jack-offs like Sonny Marson and Santos Soto - the kids are going to be negatively impacted no matter how this turns out.

The Ref
          I have attended and competed at the events in question. I really didn't see anything wrong with the scene while I was there. The easy solution is just to not let people compete at the private clubs if they are under 18. Problem solved. Suspending amateur boxing in California for this is like trying to pop a zit with a hand grenade.

The gentleman who died had NOTHING to do with amateur boxing. That happened at a sparring session a long time after he competed in his smoker.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRef View Post

The Ref
            how is amatuer boxing with alcohol present killing the sport? it makes for a better atmosphere and an increased attendance, the crowd enjoys it more, whats the problem?

Thats basically how every show i've ever boxed on has been run (im from england, its obviously very different) and i've never seen any kind of negative impact on juniors boxing on these shows. the 'no parents allowed' thing sounds a bit off though, but i doubt thats a rule at every show, probably just the news station blowing it out of proportion to sensationalise the story a bit
            Last edited by ophqui; 03-24-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mschatz View Post
              I have attended and competed at the events in question. I really didn't see anything wrong with the scene while I was there. The easy solution is just to not let people compete at the private clubs if they are under 18. Problem solved. Suspending amateur boxing in California for this is like trying to pop a zit with a hand grenade.
              well, i think the reason for the actual suspension was that usa boxing ignored subpoenas from the csac.

Comment

Originally posted by Squabbles94806 View Post
                GooD inFo. I box in the Bay Area...makes sense now that i think of it. I"ve seen some *****, but never thought too much about it. I'm only concerned on training and winning.

Boxing's tough. I'll probably have some collateral damage later in my life, but that's why i gotta prepare. The better i prepare and take care of myself, the less risk i'll be in.

it's crazy. I hope this suspension doesn't fcuk up my mission.

I've actually fought in one of those private USA boxing "illegal" boxing matches. How was i supposed to know they were illegal? They were right about the towel thing though. I figured if USA Boxing officials were there, then it's all gravy right?

Fcuk that. i gotta talk to my Coach today, make sure my mission isn't fcuked.

Ay what city you train in? I box in Vallejo. What gym you at? My cousin boxes at Kings gym and my uncle is one of the trainers there.

Comment

If the parents want to buy a ticket to go to the show go ahead buy a ticket. There is no way a person should be allowed in free to a show unless they are an official or a coach or one of the boxers attending.

Man I make my wife buy a ticket to every show she comes with me.

Comment

i think the news station did it because it made for an easy "hard hitting story. just my two cents because i know i'd go after the easy story.

Comment

This is ridiculous. Shutting down an entire sport across the ENTIRE state of California is a perfect example of our [Americans] inability to solve minor problems. Action needs to be taken against the people who neglect to follow the rules, not the enitre boxing community. Sure, 250 pound men in football gear can go and crack helmets every Sunday, but God forbid 100-pound 13 year-olds who couldnt punch their way out of paper sack pop each other on the [headgear-protected] noggin's a few times. Its alarming the lengths the government will go to to try and squash personal responsibility. You are not forced to box. If you dont want to get hit, fine, stay out of the ring.

Comment

Working...
                      X