No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ricky Burns To Face Liam Walsh on Dec. 15

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ricky Burns To Face Liam Walsh on Dec. 15

By Jake Donovan - Ricky Burns now has an opponent for what will most likely serve as the final big fight card of 2012 in the United Kingdom. The streaking lightweight titlist will face unbeaten Liam Walsh on December 15 atop a huge card at the ExCel Arena in London.

"Nothing stirs the sports fans like a good English-Scottish showdown just like my fight against (Kevin) Mitchell did," states Burns, who scored a 4th round knockout of Mitchell last month in Scotland. "[T]he fans are in for a real treat before Christmas with this one." [Click Here To Read More]

Walsh is a bit green of an opponent in my opinion, but I gotta admit, I'm interested to see it.

Comment

Ricky Burns is fast becoming one of my favourite fighters to watch...but seriously, stop fighting these British dudes and get your ass over to 'merica.

Comment

Originally posted by ddangerous View Post
        Walsh is a bit green of an opponent in my opinion, but I gotta admit, I'm interested to see it.
        I have no interest whatsoever in watching a world champion defend agaisnt a domestic level fighter. He's beaten the best domestic rival this is a step backwards and pointless.

Comment

Not happy with this fight at all. Walsh is a good, talented prospect but definately needs more time before stepping up a level like this. Suppose its his reward for agreeing to fight on the Luxembourg licensed Haye/Chisora card when nobody else would, so can't blame him for taking it and the experience will only do him good. This fight won't build momentum for Burns or help with regards to fighting the top guys, a wasted fight date where he could have been building his top level experience.

Comment

Originally posted by rampant View Post
            I have no interest whatsoever in watching a world champion defend agaisnt a domestic level fighter. He's beaten the best domestic rival this is a step backwards and pointless.
            I see where you are coming from, and I personally wish he'd come fight in the States, I just like this fight better than an old tomato can. Lesser of two evils I guess.
            Last edited by ddangerous; 10-23-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Ehhhhh I guess they don't want to risk a possible loss before a Broner fight next spring???

Rees or Murray would have been better than this.

Comment

So here's me thinking that a Mitchell level type of opponent (Murray, Rees etc) would be the worst possible choice and Warren would at least go for a gatekeeper...

Then he goes and picks a Super-featherweight who's fought once in the last 13 months, looking incredibly rusty and severely lacklustre, to fight Warren's #1 fighter (Walsh is also promoted by Warren). What? He's trying to build Burns up to fight the other champions against the likes of Liam Walsh?

It's not a ' stay busy ' fight, he spent 4 rounds in the ring with Mitchell a month ago and is fit enough and good enough to take a fight against a durable but beatable opponent who has a good ranking.

Comment

is Warren and Arum long lost brothers. They are exactly the same!!

Comment

pointless fight. no one wants it

Comment

Working...
                    X