No announcement yet.

Victor Ortiz Punch Mitt Routine Is Different

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victor Ortiz Punch Mitt Routine Is Different

Anyone notice he has a different style of mitt workout? Everyone hits the mitts straight forward like eye level, he shoots his punches up like he is fighting a 7 foot guy. What is the purpose of him doing that when his opponent isn't taller? Is this so he gets full extension on his punches by having him shoot them up high instead of at face level?

So he can punch faster..

Comment

Last time it was brought up It was stated that some trainers like to have their fighters jab high because as fatigue sets in, a fighter jabs tend to get lazy and go lower and lower. But who the hell knows to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by dabezt3 View Post
        Last time it was brought up It was stated that some trainers like to have their fighters jab high because as fatigue sets in, a fighter jabs tend to get lazy and go lower and lower. But who the hell knows to be honest.
        Makes sense, but I never seen any other boxer who shadow boxs and hits the mitts that high unless they are fighting a tall ass opponent.

Its very weird how he shadow boxers too he just shoots his left so high not even aiming for the face but like he is aiming at a 7 foot opponent.

Comment

chavez Jr. and Bhop shadow box high

Comment

Originally posted by Unknown Champ View Post
            chavez Jr. and Bhop shadow box high
            so only the greats do it? makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by dabezt3 View Post
              I would assume this would be the answer to your question. Kind of stupid in my opinion. They should work on stamina and being precise instead of thinking about just throwing punches upwards to develop stamina. Yeah you will keep your punches up but if you aren't accurate then what? It sounds like a good idea but I personally disagree with it.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                Anyone notice he has a different style of mitt workout? Everyone hits the mitts straight forward like eye level, he shoots his punches up like he is fighting a 7 foot guy. What is the purpose of him doing that when his opponent isn't taller? Is this so he gets full extension on his punches by having him shoot them up high instead of at face level?

If you had any boxing knowledge you would know that alot of trainers including myself will teach this what that does is it teaches a fighter to have his shoulder cover his chin while he's punching try it and look at your self on the mirror from a side postion and you will see your shoulder covering your chin. Full exention is taught by the trainer not hitting the boxer glove like a slap Maywether 's slap back which is not the proper way to teach a beginer. They do the patty cake cause it looks flashy i don't think Floyd needs roger or his dad to train their just dead weight. Just let the punch come to the focus pad with out hitting it back this will teach full extention

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                  If you had any boxing knowledge you would know that alot of trainers including myself will teach this what that does is it teaches a fighter to have his shoulder cover his chin while he's punching try it and look at your self on the mirror from a side postion and you will see your shoulder covering your chin. Full exention is taught by the trainer not hitting the boxer glove like a slap Maywether 's slap back which is not the proper way to teach a beginer. They do the patty cake cause it looks flashy i don't think Floyd needs roger or his dad to train their just dead weight. Just let the punch come to the focus pad with out hitting it back this will teach full extention
                  I notice that too and If you really look at it its uncle roger that is doing all the work not Floyd. It doesnt impress me at all but its obviously working well for them

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
                    I notice that too and If you really look at it its uncle roger that is doing all the work not Floyd. It doesnt impress me at all but its obviously working well for them
                    its to work on his timing

Comment

Working...
                    X