Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is boxing referred to as the SWEET SCIENCE?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is boxing referred to as the SWEET SCIENCE?

can someone give me a detailed answer?

Originally posted by Zab Super Judah
    Because of all the Bruthas that call themselves "Sugar"

Comment

Originally posted by The Devil
      Because of all the Bruthas that call themselves "Sugar"
      good one..but no real answers?

Comment

As Budd Schulberg once said, "Like a chess match . . . with blood." It is not a raw brawl it sometimes seems to be to the uninformed. Rage must be controlled. As far as the "sweet" part, that's sports writer alliteration.

Comment

What seriously? I would think its because thats the most positive spin you can put on the sport (as opposed to say...legalized assault) And it makes sense when you look at people like mayweather,its not easy to be that good,Its crazy how skilled and accurate some of these guys can be,its something complicated they make look easy,they have robot accuracy,and theyve learned the sport to the point where its become a....SWEET SCIENCE,or something like that

Comment

I think AJ Liebling coined the phrase "The Sweet Science", or at least popularized it. He had a book by that title.

I think its apparent why boxing is given such a name. The boxing ring is the lab and the match is the experiment. All kinds of variables. What type of style does each fighter have? Who is younger? Who wants it more? Etc. But still, boxing is unpredictable. Fighters adapt. Survival of the fittest, etc. Sweet has multiple meanings. One is ironic. At times, boxing is anything but sweet. When your fighter wins and gets his formulas working correctly, really there is nothing sweeter than your favorite fighter beating his opposition.

Take last week. Mayweather vs. Gatti. Mayweather was the skilled technician. Gatti was the rough heavyhitter. This wasn't a street fight, with no skill involved. This was boxing, which requires technique. Mayweather was the sweetest Scientist. For me, it was great. One of my favorite fighters beat one of my most hated fighters. Dominated. Both physically and mentally, Mayweather imposed his will over Gatti. And that was one of the best displays of Sweet Science seen in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by masterdirector
              And that was one of the best displays of Sweet Science seen in recent years.
              meh, watching a great boxer pick apart a class B fighter is not a great display of the sweet science.

Hopkins/DLH was one of the best displays the Sweet Science has seen in recent years.

mayweather is great and all but he takes way more punches than bernard, i mean gatti landed 42 power punches on mayweather, b-hop never gets hit flush. and when he does it's only 2-3 times in a fight. b-hop is the best boxer alive right now.

Comment

Try 10 power punches. And 31 jabs, supposedly. But seriously, go back and watch the fight. See if you can see 41 punches (not 42) landed by Gatti. I sure as hell can't.

Mayweather's style is different than Hopkins'. Hopkins circles more and flicks out that jab. Mayweather stays in the pocket with those guys. A lot of those supposedly landed shots are landing on his arms and gloves.

Comment

I don't know why either.

Comment

Originally posted by masterdirector
                    Try 10 power punches. And 31 jabs, supposedly. But seriously, go back and watch the fight. See if you can see 41 punches (not 42) landed by Gatti. I sure as hell can't.

Mayweather's style is different than Hopkins'. Hopkins circles more and flicks out that jab. Mayweather stays in the pocket with those guys. A lot of those supposedly landed shots are landing on his arms and gloves.
                    it was on tonights fnf about the 40+ power punches by gatti

Comment

Working...
                    X