No announcement yet.

Full contact sparring for the first time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full contact sparring for the first time

I went back home and joined a real gym temporarily just to keep my skills sharp, but the coach won't teach me anything specifically since I told him I'm leaving in a few weeks.

So I sparred for my first time with one of the amateur fighters there. I probably got caught with L-R hooks at least a dozen times over three rounds.

My question is, how beat up do you get when you first start sparring? I'm got a bunch of good jabs in, but I think I might stick to defense while I'm here. Sucks to feel like you suck.

Its normal. Got plenty of bloody noses and headaches just keep going. Take some time off and see a doctor if you get concussed.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

In the beginning everything happens so fast, and you pretty much completely forget your technique, its even common to forget to breath at times. So yeah, it's tough early on.

But as far as how much you should be getting best up.

It shouldn't be too bad, its just sparring and your a newbie, you shouldn't be getting destroyed, your opponent and the trainer should know to hold back.

Sparring is to learn, not to "win". Go to the wrong gym, and you'll see guys leaving sparring sessions like they fought a 10 rnd fight for half a million $. it's completely pointless.

Comment

My first time sparring at a real gym was versus a professional fighter. He beat my ass but I exposed his flaw (Right Uppercut - Southpaw Stance) so I was content. Guy was going hard as hell on noobies during sparring, he lost his following fight. Not that I'm happy he lost, just karma I guess for being a prick. He backed me into the ropes with the first round, landed 20+ clean uppercuts on him throughout the 3 rounds I lasted, but the guy was an animal and kept coming. He hit me with a hard liver shot (I'm southpaw, was 130 lbs, he was 140+) I didn't fall but had to pause for a second to recup. People were telling him he's an ******* after he landed that liver shot. Oh well, lesson learned. Talk with those guys first, tell them you are a noob and to go light so you can get comfortable

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
          In the beginning everything happens so fast, and you pretty much completely forget your technique, its even common to forget to breath at times. So yeah, it's tough early on.

But as far as how much you should be getting best up.

It shouldn't be too bad, its just sparring and your a newbie, you shouldn't be getting destroyed, your opponent and the trainer should know to hold back.

Sparring is to learn, not to "win". Go to the wrong gym, and you'll see guys leaving sparring sessions like they fought a 10 rnd fight for half a million $. it's completely pointless.
          Truer words haven't been spoken.

I'll go much further though, if you end up with a guy much more experienced who is landing a lot of punches on you, especially when you get tired, don't try to be too brave and take a knee, this is not a fight, you're not getting paid. If you were to fight in your first fight you won't fight somebody with so much experience or much heavier. It's not wort it, don't feel bad.

If guys like Rigo and Floyd get torn a new one by average fighters when they haven't been training for a while, what's left for a newbie to boxing. In other words, don't feel too bad if you're doing bad cause it's normal and if you're getting hit too much you need to protect yourself, running, holding or even taking a knee and let them know that you're there to learn and not to get hurt.

Comment

My first sparring session was with a 190+ lb puncher.

I got hit a max of 7 times. 4 in the exact same spot, right on the edge of the left eyebrow. I'll always remember it because I just can't forget thinking to myself "why does he hit so hard?" when I covered up and backed into the ropes.

It's funny now that i think about it but the dude honestly could not touch me over 3 rounds. To the point that he actually laughed because he couldn't hit me, when we were in the ring.

I was good though. I took very little damage. I kept calm and just worked the jab. Towards the end of the 3rd, I got comfortable and had him timed perfectly. I countered his left hook with a hard overhead-right, like 3 seconds before the last buzzer.

If we continued, no doubt I'd just keep countering the sht out of him on his hook.

I make it sound easy but I'll be completely honest. I wanted no part in getting hit by him. I'm really hard to hit but I stayed in his face the whole time. I'd avoid getting hit but then come right back into punch distance, so he had no time to breath but neither did I really. The difference was, I threw very little punches. Like 6 or so a round and landed 5 of those 6. Whereas he threw 10+ a round and landed 2 a round. So he was worn but I was still good. But when he did connect, I was like, what the ****.

That's my experience. It was fun. Tiring because I was on edge the whole time. Super focused but I still feel good about that first time.

Comment

Originally posted by xophe View Post
              I went back home and joined a real gym temporarily just to keep my skills sharp, but the coach won't teach me anything specifically since I told him I'm leaving in a few weeks.

So I sparred for my first time with one of the amateur fighters there. I probably got caught with L-R hooks at least a dozen times over three rounds.

My question is, how beat up do you get when you first start sparring? I'm got a bunch of good jabs in, but I think I might stick to defense while I'm here. Sucks to feel like you suck.
              Hmmm...so you joined a gym temporarily just to keep you skills sharp...but you never sparred before. Maybe your skills are not that sharp.

It sounds like you sparred without a coach in your corner...so not only were you at a disadvantage in sparring with someone with amateur experience...but you were at an even bigger disadvantage in not having someone in your corner to tell you what you needed to be doing and be able to discuss it with you afterwards and make it a learning experience. In a situation like that you are always going to get beat up. Find someone who will work with you and don't get into situations that are over your head. You need to be brought along at your pace...or a pace that you are ready for.

People train in the gym and hit the bags and pads without ever sparring...but once you start getting hit you quickly understand what the sport is really about and whether it's for you or not. It's hard to think when you get hurt but you can still hear so having someone in your corner to guide you is very important.
              Last edited by jaded; 12-27-2014, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Professional boxers are getting blasted repeatedly by straight noobs with zero ring experience in this thread. Noobz are exposing flaws in pro fighters games with their slick noob handiwork. Is this how I put the gumshield in? OK coach, put me in with the champeen!

People totally new to sparring are doing heroic, skilful things to much bigger much more seasoned fighters with hundreds if not thousands of hours in the ring. This is truly amazing stuff fellas please tell us more.

Comment

Originally posted by Soju View Post
                  Professional boxers are getting blasted repeatedly by straight noobs with zero ring experience in this thread. Noobz are exposing flaws in pro fighters games with their slick noob handiwork. Is this how I put the gumshield in? OK coach, put me in with the champeen!

People totally new to sparring are doing heroic, skilful things to much bigger much more seasoned fighters with hundreds if not thousands of hours in the ring. This is truly amazing stuff fellas please tell us more.

lmao.......

Comment

Originally posted by Soju View Post

Haha, my thoughts exactly!

Comment

Working...
                    X