Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please explain in detail how Cotto is a top 5 ATG of this generation??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think it's really debatable that the top 5 of this generation are....

Tie 1. Pac
    Tie 1. Floyd
    3. Hopkins
    4. Marquez
    5. Cotto

Kessler is Froch best win and Froch is one of the very few British fighters I actually like. Bute was the most overrated fighter in the last 10 years IMO. Groves is domestic and not all that great. He barely beat Degale and his biggest accomplishment is knocking Froch down. Jermain Taylor was a decent win at the time I guess, Abraham is decent too.

Bradley is not better then Cotto. Cotto would beat him at any stage. Alexander was hot when he KO'D Urango who was never elite and after that his career has been extremely disappointing. Holt is Holt for god sake, Witter again is a good domestic fighter, decent win but never elite. Casamayor should NEVER be mentioned from his resume. Casamayor was a blown up lightweight who last was relevant when Marquez KO'd him and had no business being at 147. He was extremely past it at this point. Provodnikov almost beat him but besides Alvarez, who has Ruslan beat? He'll be remembered for giving Bradley a war when Bradley was desperate for attention and sold out to slug with him. Pac easily beat Bradley twice. Marquez is Bradley best and really only world class win. Let's not forget Bradley ducked a red hot jr. welterweight division to fight a past it blown up irrelevant Casamayor as welterweight TUNE UP.The Marquez win was by far the greatest thing he's ever done which gives him a better win then Cotto but he has no depth. Bringing up the Pac robbery and Casamayor only shows how desperate and low your hatred for Cotto is willing to go.

Wlad has no amazing win just a long list of mediocre wins in an extremely weak era. HW is heating up so maybe he can gain some credibility back.

Meanwhile.....

People tend to forget events leading up to fights. A lot of people thought Cotto was done after Margarito and Pac and even thought Foreman would out hustle a SHOT Cotto. Quintana was even suppose to box circles around him. Hell so was Judah. The Judah win put him on the map and on the road to stardom. Even Delvin Rodriquez was thought of as this huge durable challenger for Cotto. If you look back to polls I remember TONS of posts about how people wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Delvin not only beat but stopped Cotto. Delvin was extremely durable and never caught a beat down before like the one he was about to receive. After the Trout fight again people thought he was done. Cotto stopped him in 3 and these same people tried play It off as it was "suppose" to happen.

Even before the Martinez fight everybody was saying how Martinez would brutally stop this guy. Cotto had no right to step into the ring with him. Cotto was suppose to catch a horrible beating. YET AGAIN he defies the odds and brutalizes Martinez. Then people want to all the sudden bring up the surgeries. I don't want to debate this fight anymore, a lot of questions will be answered in Sergios next fight. I'll wait for that.

Now onto Cotto ' s highlights. The Mosley fight was one of the best fights that year going in that boxing fans were looking forward too. Mosley was in no way past it or fading. He whooped Collazo right before and gave Vargas 2 brutal one sided beatings. This was by far Cottos biggest test to date. Mosley thrived on come forward aggressors and the fans were ready for this was but Cotto had a trick up his sleeve. He knew he couldn't just go toe to toe with Mosley and he showed tremendous boxing skill and versatility as he BOXED his way to a hard fought razor thin war of a win over Shane. Mosley went on to put Mayorga to sleep and give Margarita one of the biggest brutal beatdowns in boxing history.

Enter Joshua Clottey who had went to hell and back with prime Margarito, took his best shots and narrowly lost. He came back to embarrass Corrales who didn't really have much left, and was on his way to beating Judah easily. Not to mention he was on his way to beating Baldomir too for the title. This was a huge test for Cotto after the Margarito lost. We were suppose to see how much he had left against a solid elite contender who was on the rise. Cotto went to hell and back plus he had to dig deep to pull out this victory.

Not to mention in his jr welterweight run he went through some straight KILLERS! He won the belt off undefeated Pinto who has only went the distance twice in all his career wins , went to War to overcome Corley who had just went war with prime Zab and Floyd before he became a good journeyman, he went through hell and back to take out undefeated Torres who only went the distance twice before fighting Cotto and put a beating on Randall Bailey who's considered one of the P4P hardest punches in the SPORT.

So yeah he never got to fight Hatton but he went through some killers at 140!

So again Cottos whole career has been about defying the odds. It's always been about proving doubters like you wrong. They had questions about his chin at 140 and he took out some of the toughest SOB'S there. At 147 it was about can he get to the next level and be able to box bigger guys he can't overpower and he did that in a great fight against Mosley, again against Clottey. Even after the brutal beatings at the hands of Margarito and Manny he still went up a weight class and became champion before giving Floyd Mayweather one of the greatest boxers of our time arguably HIS TOUGHEST fight to date. Trout caught him on a bad night BUT STILL when you thought he was done he OBLITERATES Delvin Rodriquez who was suppose to give him a 12 round war if not beat him! Then again with all the cards stacked against him he went up to 160 when 75% of the boxing world who weren't Cotto fans thought he was walking into a maasacre, he destroyed Sergio and made history!

So yeah, forgive me if I believe he's the 5th best fighter of this generation.

Comment

Working...
    X