No announcement yet.

Just Got Back - K9/Smith

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Got Back - K9/Smith

I just couldn't understand it, I just got back from Cornelious Bundrage/Ishe Smith fight. Through the years I have had interactions with K9, even writing up that piece from way back when. Every time I left a meeting with K9 I felt inspired and enlightened by his joyous yet determined type of personality. I just couldn't understand it, where was that fire, where was the desire last night?

I have never in my life seen K9 fight so passively. As the rounds ticked by I kept waiting for him to unleash and show the world exactly what a viscious and determined beast a Detroit Dog can be.

The fight started casually enough, until Bundrage was penalized a point early for either throwing Smith to the canvas or hitting Smith when he was down. I missed the action as it transpired, did I mention some of Detroits prettiest ladies taking in the fights?

So they seemed to start to engage abit when K9 just up and decides that he's the champion and that he will just dance for acouple of rounds, just giving them to Smith. Why give any away? Watching K9 work last night was much like watching a job interview between two people. One man believing that he has the job while the other was obviousley trying to get it. It seemed that K9 believed that he may have had an "advantage' in the judging seeing that the fight was in his hometown. Smith fought like he wanted the title while K9 fought almost passively to his previous standards of aggression just letting rounds slip by.

While the fight may have been in K9's hometown you must consider a trump card if there ever was to be a trump card in a hometown fight, that being that it was Floyds show and you know who manages Ishe. I am in no way implyig that the judging was unjust, in my eyes the man who won the fight left with the belt in his opponents home town. That's a trend that I would like to see continued, absolutely upscale and honorable scorecards were turned in by all of the judges.

Each man had his moments, battering the opponent as he lay stranded and dazed against the ropes. Ishe came on hard in the last two rounds just cracking K9 with good shots and hurting him. Smith punches, K9 eats the shots never bringing that damned left hand up. The whole fight, Ishe punches him with a right and K9 eats it yet keeps his hand by his waist the whole fight.

Overall Ishe earned it, but you could argue the same that K9 just dropped it. I saw the dog acouple of times last night, but it was one shot at a time and the scenes of any dog fighting were too few and far between. I almost wish that it had just been the K9 of old in there last night, that crude styled and determined man with all of the hooks and right hands who would just let wild shots go at any time. Last night I just wish that he had let something go, like his fists, rather than his belt..........Rockin'
    Last edited by Rockin'; 02-24-2013, 06:00 AM.

Thanks for the update, Rockin'

Coming into the promotion this week, I just got the feeling that K9 thought this fight was a given; he was only fighting Smith because Smith was managed by Floyd, and he had bigger fights to worry about.

He fought like it too.

Meanwhile, Ishe fought like a guy that, well, went from being on the verge or killing himself to being given a title shot. Quite literally "Do or Die"

Comment

Good read.....

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
        I just got the feeling that K9 thought this fight was a given"
        Exactly.............. Rockin'

Comment

I bumped into Corey Johnson last night. We fought eachother a bunch of times so were laughing away at the old days and such. Ends up Corey is back in training a is biting at the bit to get a piece of Darryl Cunningham, seems that there is some true bad blood there.

I got to see Jackie, Ka-dy, Bronco and everybody. Even bumped into Tom Johnson. I love the boxing crowd. Such a diverse group of people, no crowd in the world can compare........ Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
            Good read.....
            no great read. i know all those dudes he mentioned. man Detroit has one of the richest history's in boxing period man. its beautiful smh

Comment

While I respect K9 and what he's done so late in his career, his skill are very, very limited.

Once Ishe took away the looping right hand, he had nothing left. He was getting hit easily with the basic 1-2 combination and couldn't get out of the way of anything.

K9 was one of the worst champs ever IMO. Again, I respect the guy, think he's incredibly strong for that weight but as far as skills, he almost doesn't look like a pro boxer in there.

It was a matter of time before one of these 154lber would take his title. He's been basically just clubbing people into submission and Ishe did a great job of being patient, and not letting him get that right hand off.

You could see the frustration in K9 when he was backing up, he just had no answer outside of that desperate right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                While I respect K9 and what he's done so late in his career, his skill are very, very limited.

Once Ishe took away the looping right hand, he had nothing left. He was getting hit easily with the basic 1-2 combination and couldn't get out of the way of anything.

K9 was one of the worst champs ever IMO. Again, I respect the guy, think he's incredibly strong for that weight but as far as skills, he almost doesn't look like a pro boxer in there.

It was a matter of time before one of these 154lber would take his title. He's been basically just clubbing people into submission and Ishe did a great job of being patient, and not letting him get that right hand off.

You could see the frustration in K9 when he was backing up, he just had no answer outside of that desperate right hand.
                Agree with this post 100%

Comment

Originally posted by tredh View Post
                  Agree with this post 100%
                  The thing that I hear most from fans that really shocks me is they say things like:

"Why didn't ___________ come forward and throw more punches"

It's like they don't give the opposing fighter any credit. Sometimes you stop throwing because your being countered...lol It's easy to say just throw punches but when your eating shots in return, it isn't so much fun anymore.

Ishe TOOK this fight, because once K9 couldn't land the only weapon he has, he was confused.

He had a look on his face of like "WTF do I do now?"

Ishe isn't a great fighter, tough, rugged guy who's taken the long road up but there are much more skilled guys at 154 and I never expected K9 to be a champ or hold it for 3 defenses.

Again, no disrespect to K9.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                    The thing that I hear most from fans that really shocks me is they say things like:

"Why didn't ___________ come forward and throw more punches"

It's like they don't give the opposing fighter any credit. Sometimes you stop throwing because your being countered...lol It's easy to say just throw punches but when your eating shots in return, it isn't so much fun anymore.
                    while it is no fun to get smashed in the face I would imagine it would be less fun to drive home and wake up tomorrow without your title. you only got one change............Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X