Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before HBO drops boxing from their network altogether?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long before HBO drops boxing from their network altogether?

It shouldn't be a shock to anyone if (or should I say when) HBO drops boxing from their network. They are making absolutely zero profits from their boxing shows. Especially now since Haymon's PBC is in full swing. The executives are probably debating right now when they should go through with the cancellation.

The thing is, HBO is a movie and TV show channel. They just aren't suited for sports. Look at their hit show, Game of Thrones. It's such a popular show and damn near everyone watches it. They make tons and tons of profit from it's popularity alone. But what about boxing? What do they get from that? Zero, squat, nada.

My only hope is that PBC opens its door to 3 guys in particular from HBO, them being Roy Jones, Hopkins and Max Kellerman. 3 superb commentators who don't deserve to lose their jobs because HBO can't seem to produce profits any longer. It's not their fault that HBO refuses to make good fights anymore.
    Within a couple of months
    1.67%
    Within 6-8 months
    0.00%
    Within a year
    3.33%
    Within two years
    8.33%
    HBO boxing is doing just fine and aren't going anywhere; they still produce profits
    86.67%

Pretty soon

Once Wilder and Ward both get sparked there will basically be no americans left at world level, at that stage i expect they switch to UFC because thats a mostly american sport.

Comment

I'd say by the end of 2017, they will likely say the HELL with boxing and instead spend the $30M on TWO new series that could replace Game of Thrones.

Comment

Boxing is the ONLY reason I'm subscribed to HBO and Showtime, if they ever do away with boxing, then they'll be saving me money.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ross View Post
          Pretty soon

Once Wilder and Ward both get sparked there will basically be no americans left at world level, at that stage i expect they switch to UFC because thats a mostly american sport.
          Wilder doesn't fight on HBO and if anything HBO doesn't cater to American fighters, like at all.

Do you live under a rock?

Comment

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post
            Boxing is the ONLY reason I'm subscribed to HBO and Showtime, if they ever do away with boxing, then they'll be saving me money.
            Yup, same here. I don't watch the crappy movies they play on those networks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by PKing View Post
              I'd say by the end of 2017, they will likely say the HELL with boxing and instead spend the $30M on TWO new series that could replace Game of Thrones.
              You're right. HBO is capable of making hit shows. I really enjoyed The Wire and The Sopranos. Excellent shows. Those shows actually make them money. Boxing simply does not.

Comment

^ Op = Silly troll post

- Live sports is one of the thing that keeps TV networks going. You can always "catch up on shows" later and you don't necessarily need to have HBO to do so as there is various means both legal and illegal to obtain the content. But the value of sports is in its freshness -- if it weren't no one would ever buy a PPV because it'll be on next week for no fee.

-- Lots of people subscribe just for boxing

-- They have the PPV stars of the present and future fighting on their network and a good hit on PPV is a windfall profit that you can never get with a movie or a TV show.

-- This trolling is a speculative response to previous trolling from anti-Haymon people who are ready to dance on his grave because of the rumor that PBC is going broke. But those individuals, while similarly idiotic, at least have some publicly available data to support their trolling. This sad display does not, as evidenced by the OP

Comment

Originally posted by djt117 View Post
                  ^ Op = Silly troll post

- Live sports is one of the thing that keeps TV networks going. You can always "catch up on shows" later and you don't necessarily need to have HBO to do so as there is various means both legal and illegal to obtain the content. But the value of sports is in its freshness -- if it weren't no one would ever buy a PPV because it'll be on next week for no fee.

-- They have the PPV stars of the present and future fighting on their network and a good hit on PPV is a windfall profit that you can never get with a movie or a TV show.

-- This trolling is a speculative response to previous trolling from anti-Haymon people who are ready to dance on his grave because of the rumor that PBC is going broke. But those individuals, while similarly idiotic, at least have some publicly available data to support their trolling. This sad display does not, as evidenced by the OP
                  Do you have proof that HBO boxing is thriving and making major profits?

Comment

Originally posted by djt117 View Post
                    ^ Op = Silly troll post

Data: Compare HBO Boxing avg. ratings/viewership in 2005 & 2015.

Data: Compare HBO's boxing budget from 2005 & 2015.

Data: Compare HBO's profitability from series like Sopranos & Sex in the City compared to boxing events.

Start with those data points.

Comment

Working...
                    X