No announcement yet.

De La Hoya wanted no part of Quartey after the first fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    Yeah, Carr was a bigger fight, true. Right...

Plus, Oscar had telepathic powers that allowed him to see that Mosley was moving up two divisions out of the blue.

I'm bad with sarcasm
    DLH vs Mosley was intially seen as a easy defense for Oscar against a blown up lightweight. Only after the fight did people see that Mosley was the truth. Also Quartey vs DLH outsold that fight, and was bigger than any other WW fight besides trinidad. People who did not follow the sport at the time think Ike was a no reward type of fighter....WRONG the guy brought money to the table and all WWs were willign to fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
      DLH vs Mosley was intially seen as a easy defense for Oscar against a blown up lightweight. Only after the fight did people see that Mosley was the truth. Also Quartey vs DLH outsold that fight, and was bigger than any other WW fight besides trinidad. People who did not follow the sport at the time think Ike was a no reward type of fighter....WRONG the guy brought money to the table and all WWs were willign to fight him.
      Truth.com

Indeed, funny how people want to re-write history. Like I said, Oscar's stat sheet has some great names on it but more important than who is when.

Mosley was supposed to be a lil' lightweight he'd walk through. Which is what he tried to do. And then when Mosley beat him, he whined and whined about the decision but didn't want a rematch. It wasn't until Forrest shattered Mosley's aura that Oscar even began to consider a rematch. Same thing with Vargas, another guy Oscar promised never to fight.

Comment

They should've had a rematch. I though Quartey won that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabrony 2 View Post

Wait till 5:57
          166-112 daylight robbery

Comment

I remember watching this fight..i knew Ike was robbed blind..he would be smiling thru hoyas punches...and when hoya said it wasnt that exciting, i knew he was scared of ike and wouldnt do it again..

Comment

Quartey deserved a rematch, but didn't do himself any favors for his career with his inactivity. Whitaker's drug problems and legal disputes for a Tito fight played a big part in Ike being so inactive going into the DLH bout, but I don't think it did for his next two layoffs, of 14 months and then about 5 years.

It just shows you how good a WW Ike was to be inactive for 16 months and take on someone the caliber of DLH and in the eyes of many viewers (especially the ones who actually watched the full 12 rounds and actually scored it RBR), beat him.

Comment

cause dlh plays bitchmade in and out of the ring

Comment

Working...
                X