Pain In Calf/Shin After Skipping

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain In Calf/Shin After Skipping

Hi Guys

Since ive started boxing ive been having issues with my lower legs after doing 4 or more rounds of jump rope / skipping

I get an intense ache from my upper ankle to about half way up my calf - the pain is right between my shin bone and my calf like inbetween where the muscle meets the bone - If i push down on that area after ive done quite a lot of skipping Its an intense pain and to attempt to massage is almost unbearable!

for a few days after the session ill have intermittent pain throughout the day and it will hurt mainly when going upstairs or doing any running.

If I stop rest it for about 2-3 days the pain will subside and i will have no problems running etc.

It seems to be just skipping that sets it off

Anyone experienced this before?

Some people are saying shin splints, stress fracture .....

Cheers
    Tom

Sounds like shinsplints to me. Try Taurine and Potassium.

Comment

Ive never had shin splints before - but I thought you felt those directly in the front of your shin - the pain I get isnt on the bone its like inbetween my calf and shin - Inner leg

Cheers
      T

Comment

Tomuk...I am going through exact same problem. Mine started two weeks ago today when I was jogging the local high school track. I don't know what it is but it is not shin splint...I have had those before. I have been rubbing liniments and your right about the pain. Horrible. My pain has slowly started going away about two days ago have stayed off my feet for last two weeks as much as possible. If you can go see Doc. mabey one of those boots with open toe might help.

Comment

Follow these steps exactly and you will be fine in about a week... No doctor that's to much money...
          -Ice your shin 20 mins on then elevate for 10-15 mins do this everyday 3 to 4 times a day.
          -Duck walk for the next few days around the house.
          -No jump rope and no running outside and get new shoes.
          -YouTube Shinsplints and make your own plan....

trust me on this i deal with these kinda injuries all the time in the boxing gym... The 3 main causes of shin splints that i have seen are bad shoes, jump rope, and over striding on the track or basketball court.

I hope this helped take it easy just don't jump rope till there better.
          Last edited by Mike_Erm; 02-10-2013, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Try stretching your calves and tendons. It sounds like you have previously sprained both ankles at some time or another and they have some scar tissue and trigger points that you never got rid of. Place your foot in the position of this pic (on the left side) and gently put you weight on it.

If it hurts to do this in the ankle or at the side which you referred to (the tendon) you will know this is the problem. If so continue to put more weight on the ankle and hold it to stretch it and deeply massage the tendon at the side with the finger tips (it should hurt so don't worry about that) to release the trigger points and also at the ankle to break down any scar tissue.

This is how you stretch your calves...

They probably are tight. I don't think it's shin splints because that is in a different location than what you are describing...see here.

Comment

i have said it before and will say it again:

the most common cause of shin splints is not tying your shoes up to the top islet (hole). start tying your shoes properly and after your workout, ice it up.

Comment

Originally posted by tomuk View Post
                Hi Guys

Since ive started boxing ive been having issues with my lower legs after doing 4 or more rounds of jump rope / skipping

I get an intense ache from my upper ankle to about half way up my calf - the pain is right between my shin bone and my calf like inbetween where the muscle meets the bone - If i push down on that area after ive done quite a lot of skipping Its an intense pain and to attempt to massage is almost unbearable!

for a few days after the session ill have intermittent pain throughout the day and it will hurt mainly when going upstairs or doing any running.

If I stop rest it for about 2-3 days the pain will subside and i will have no problems running etc.

It seems to be just skipping that sets it off

Anyone experienced this before?

Some people are saying shin splints, stress fracture .....

Cheers
                Tom
                I had this problem: I can suggest doing static exercised to strengthen the connection between the bone and the muscle:
                http://www.sugarboxing.com/10-boxing...not-refuse/#C8

Comment

Thanks for the replies - Ill give these a go and hopefully it will sort itself out!

Cheers!
                  T

Comment

Wow, I've been on boxingscene for so many years. I remember when I posted the same question many years ago. I use to get shin pain from jump roping. I Use to to jump rope in Adidas boxing shoes that barely had and padding. I brought some Nike running shoes with good soles and my shin pains were gone. It was that simple.

Comment

Working...
                    X