No announcement yet.

What is it with todays fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it with todays fighters

when they let their hands go they throw pitty-pat combinations?

I am sure its gradually increasing too, I never used to see this.

What is this down to IYO? An increase in hand injuries with smaller gloves? Bad technique being taught by trainers?

You'd watch Holyfield, Duran, Tyson, Taylor etc etc
    There was non of this slapping/cuffing, powder-puff rubbish. Every shot in the combination was thrown with beautiful technique, no need for them to load up it just flowed beautifully. Nice n' crisp.

Its like a lot of todays fighters are very feminine.

I'm sure its been around forever but I'm certain there has been a large increase on the world stage.
    A few examples would be Nathan Cleverly, Sergio Mora, Derek Chisora, Joe Calzaghe, I also think Amir Khan is another guilty party at times, the Japanese guy who got crushed by Golovkin, it was like he was trying to hit him with an invisible handbag.

Maybe you watch more boxing in general now-a-days?

Surely young prospects like Keith Thurman and Angelo Santana don't pitty pat much.

Comment

Amateur Boxing is to blame..

Once they started using head gear and 1pt per punch system..the punches decreased in power to preserve energy..

They get trained and get stuck in pitty pat mode to rack points..and rarely train for power shots and devastating combinations

Comment

Originally posted by .WaRCoTTo. View Post

Once the started using head gear and 1pt per punch system..the punches decreased in power to preserve energy..

They get trained and get stuck in pitty pat mode to rack points..and rarely train for power shots and devastating combinations
        ^^^^^this right here

Comment

Once they started using head gear and 1pt per punch system..the punches decreased in power to preserve energy..

That would make sense, of course! Green K your way.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
            That would make sense, of course! Green K your way.
            It would make sense but then you turn professional!

Keep's your opponent off aswell, they can't counter when throwing in volume regardless of the power.

Each of the names you mentioned can also throw power shots, Its not like they do it ALL the time.

Comment

Definitely some truth in this but it isn't the only factor. Pitty-pat combinations impress judges at pro level too, just ask Marvin Hagler.

And the amateur system still produces it's share of devastating punchers. Golovkin had an outstanding amateur career and he's very much at home banging people up.

Comment

To much mitt work and not enough on a heavy bag! The old school trainers are now beginning to be rare to find! The amatuer trainers who are breaking into the pro game train one way and the pro game will have to change into speed and score bout. To much on your toes and on the move instead of stepping in using a jab and head movement to get close and throw "meaningfull" punches! Counting copy box and listening to Lambley yak is a far cry from "hearing the punches" and having much less talking during a bout. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  To much mitt work and not enough on a heavy bag! The old school trainers are now beginning to be rare to find! The amatuer trainers who are breaking into the pro game train one way and the pro game will have to change into speed and score bout. To much on your toes and on the move instead of stepping in using a jab and head movement to get close and throw "meaningfull" punches! Counting copy box and listening to Lambley yak is a far cry from "hearing the punches" and having much less talking during a bout. Ray.
                  Why would mitt work be a reason for boxers apparently throwing pitter patter punches, when I do work on mitts I hit them hard and when im watching mitt work most guys seem to be hitting them with force.

Comment

Maybe they just dont have the power behind them? Shane mosley starting using that pitty pat combo towards the end of his career kinda weird

Comment

Working...
                    X