No announcement yet.

Boxers with degrees, Good or Bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxers with degrees, Good or Bad?

Audley Harrison became the first Briton since Chris Finnegan to win a boxing gold at the Sydney Olympics in 2000. He graduated from Brunel in 1999 with a BSc honours degree in Sport Sciences with Leisure Management.

During his studies Audley was able to take time to achieve his sporting goals. He took advantage of this with great effect, forging a successful path through the amateur ranks, winning gold at the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur, taking first place at the Acropolis Cup in Greece in 2000, and establishing himself as a serious contender for Sydney. Whilst at Brunel, he showed his commitment to his sport and to his community by running a boxing club for fellow students and local youngsters.

In the final at the Games, he was battling an injury to his knuckle as well as his opponent, Mukhtarkhan Dildabekov of Kazakhstan. Nevertheless, he ran out a comfortable victor with 30 points to 16.

He was honoured with an MBE in the 2000-2001 New Year's Honours List, and turned professional, joining forces with the BBC to bring boxing back to a terrestrial audience. He formed "A-Force Promotions" to manage Audley Harrison promotions and fights, demonstrating considerable business acumen.

In his first professional year Audley won all three of his fights to lay the foundations of his professional career. In 2002, he came up with five impressive victories. The last of these, a two minute and nine second demolition of the American, Shawn Robinson, marked Audley's US debut.

Audley has achieved outstanding results in sport and in business and the University is proud to be honouring him today.

February 2003
    Yes
    58.82%
    No
    41.18%

I suppose discussion about education and degrees is beyond the 'hard core' mayweather fans who love to 'thug'

Comment

Well i think it ok to study for a degree after your pro boxing career is finished, or before but not while you are actually a boxer. Look at audley. Probably studied for his degree to hard and forgot to train. My mistake he got his degree before he became pro didnt he?

Never became a champion, but did get a degree. So he achieved one of his goals.

Comment

Good. It's better to have knowledge outside boxing so in case you retire in boxing, you can earn living with other profession.

Comment

how can having a degree ever be a bad thing?

Comment

it has nothing too do with how your boxing career will go
            it might help you when you retire

Comment

Originally posted by british_fan View Post
              it has nothing too do with how your boxing career will go
              it might help you when you retire
              an educated man, will make better decisions in the ring and on his match-making

Comment

Originally posted by !! 2Tough !! View Post
                an educated man, will make better decisions in the ring and on his match-making
                like i said,its highly unlikely it will ever help you in your career
                you think the klitschkos own the HW division because they have degrees? no

Comment

Ike Ibeabuchi has 2 college degrees now.Both of them in prison.

Yet he still was denied parole 3 times.

Comment

i don't know wheter it makes em better, but i do like em better

and i think it's good for the sport to. most people think boxers and fighters in general are knuckle dragging cave men that don't know how to add and multiply

Comment

Working...
                    X