Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would Roy Jones be remembered if he retired after the first Tarver fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a little smarter

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      He'd be remembered as one of the all time greats.

Now? Sadly, he has damaged his legacy.

I don't agree with it but it's the case.
      No, he hasnt damaged his legacy. What he aachieved he achieved you will make people scared to take risky fights for fear of losing the way you are talking. Losses don't matter as long as you take risks and reach for the skies. If Floyd loses to GGG or Canelo at 160 it wont harm his legacy as well. If he beats them he increases his legacy.

Hes still up there with SRR and Ali.
      Last edited by hugh grant; 12-15-2015, 01:59 PM.

Comment

He would be remembered in a better light. However, fans would have thought less of him for not giving Tarver the rematch. After their trilogy, though, he would have definitely been better off to retire right there. Or he could have went out with the Trinidad fight. That would have been a great note to go out on.

Comment

The only damage he is doing is to his health now, not his legacy.
          He lost to Calzaghe, and many others, but he will be greater than them at the end of the day, so no change there.
          Last edited by hugh grant; 12-15-2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

He'd be remembered as one of the all time greats.

Now? Sadly, he has damaged his legacy.

I don't agree with it but it's the case.
            Well this is surprising.

Comment

He would be remembered as possibly the greatest fighter who ever lived.

You have to be an idiot or a buffoon to judge a fighter for what they did past an advanced age and visibly past prime.

Jones from 1989-2003 was the greatest fighter I ever saw....yea I watched Ali, Leonard, Robinson and the rest but I never saw a guy that talented before him or since

That win over Tarver proved he could come back when the chips were down and he showed the heart of a champion. That fight and training for it, changed Jones forever. He took hellacious shots and didn't even wince or budge.

IMO the Tarver win is the most important biggest win of his career

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™
                It's because he's still active... in 10 years itll be different.

if you were a fan of his in the mid 90s til his mid 2000s downfall....people wanted to see the man lose

America cant relate to a fighter who is boastful, doesn't get hit often and makes it look easy

He wasn't supposed to make hall of famers like Toney, McCallum, Hopkins, Virgil Hill look like easy work, yet he did as he is the only fighter I've seen go fights without losing a round....that's why the first Tarver fight was a shock and he was visibly drained, muscle loss and complexion out of wack

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
                  Well this is surprising.
                  Why's that?

Comment

His wins weren't magically wiped out when he finally lost at 35 years old. I remember him now as I did then -- as the P4P baddest on the planet.

Folks talking about his legacy is in danger clearly never watched him back then. They don't know about the mystique. You can't get that from YouTube highlights.
                    Last edited by RespekonMyName; 12-15-2015, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Why's that?
                      Cause people will only judge a boxer by his wonder years. Shouldn't be like that. If that's the case, I'd be preaching Oscar should only have 3/4 losses or any other of my favorite boxers but I don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X