Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirty tricks of the old-time prizefighters.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty tricks of the old-time prizefighters.

In an article from The San Francisco Call (1910) I found an article going through the tricks of the trade of the prize fighters. The article tells about the psychological warfare of Bob Fitzsimmons, Tommy Ryan, 'Kid' McCoy and others. This is stuff that is well known today as is hitting after the bell and so on.

I have made excerpts below telling of dirty tricks which isn't possible today and goes to show the nasty business the fightgame was. This is about 'Kid' McCoy:

"The rosin on the glove.
    Notice the "Kid," for instance, lithe and amiable, strolling about the ring, immediately prior to a professional engagement. There are little heaps of rosin scattered about, the canvas-stretched floor, and the "Kid" wipes his feet in them, kicks them playfully, without the least apparent preconceived intent in the world. - He smiles at his friends and pleasantly, receives their applause. But the rosin in the ring becomes gradually "accelerated" in the direction of his corner, if there be none already, there.

The gloves have been chosen; and the seconds crowd about their men, carefully pushing the horsehair padding away from the center. They bend over
    to fix them on the principle that accidents will sometimes happen —in fact they always happen in the "Kid's" corner. Before he has an opportunity, to
    assume them they drop regularly into that rosinheap— drop there and are squeezed and twisted into it ere they are picked up and finally assumed. And a rosined glove may be made to cut like a knife in the hands of a McCoy. Infact it often has cut like a knife, and in nicely calculated places, too. 'This is
    but a single one in the sum of tricks McCoy has practiced.

Bicycle tape.
    It was McCoy too, who introduced the ingenious practice of putting a heavy layer of bicycle tape upon his hands. Then the "Kid," in dressinggown, would
    pleasantly argue in the center of the ring as to the desirability of that tape's removal— would argue till the tape had become hardened like iron. He would
    then smilingly take off as much of the tape as was possible. But bicycle tape has the unforlunate, qualification of adhering, when heated,and the final strand would still stay on.

McCoy would grirnace helplessly and his opponent would usually overlook the last and most dangerous strand of all. McCoy's knuckles would, however, be protected with bands like iron, which a trick of the trade had made possible. This ingenious little device has been the occasion of making the pugilist of the
    present time doubly careful as to the hand bandages of an opponent. It is the legacy. of,McCoy to his profession."

The article ends with this:

"After such instances of artistry as these it would be almost inartistic to descend to the comparative crudeness of a "Young" Corbett, whose virulence and reflective character of language regularly put his opponents into a frenzy which made them easy to defeat or yet the unshaven and artificially wired
    condition of a Battling Nelson's hair, with which to bore into an opponent's eyes. There could only be stated that one example of cunning, when an opponent of the latter went into a contest with the lightweight champion with gloves which were in an extremely acidulated condition. These completely blinded the courageous but human Battler and almost
    defeated him.

It is, however, sufficient to indicate the tricks of a trade which is apparently severe in more ways than one. Most of these tricks are unfair, yes; but what
    tricks are not? Many gentlemen of many desirable professions live in glass houses, it seems. Can they afford to throw stones at gentlemanly pugilists?"

The article can be found here: http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingameric...ort=&mode=list

And here's a pic of Battling Nelson showing the wear and tear of his style:

Can you tell me some facts about Battling Nelson and his bravery?

Comment

an old trick was putting mercury on your gloves

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
        The fight litterature is filled with lore about the famous 'bat'.

He had papers from doctors that he was inhuman; that he didn't feel pain the way 'normal' people did.

In one of his bloody wars with nemesis Ad Wolgast (aka the Michigan wildcat) bat was stopped by the ref. as he soiled in blood and gore squared off against a ringpost. BTW the story of Nelson and Wolgast continued well after their careers were over. You can find a great article on cnnsi describing this feud to the bitter end. The cnnsi vault has many great pieces on boxing.

One of my fav. stories regarding Battling Nelsons legendary toughness is that he once participated in a headbutting contest against some unknown. The 2 fighters had their hands tied behind their backs and then they went at it. The fight was stopped when bat's opponent had his skull cracked open. Pretty vicious lore...

Below he is pictured with one of his patented punch-bag dummies. This particular dummy is a quite caricated (spelling) black boxer. Possible (likely) Joe Gans.

The dummy was made in other versions. Here Jack Dempsey uses one (with the name 'Battling' Nelson' on it.

I've also seen a pic where the dummy is supposed to used for boxing training of the US troops heading to the french battlefields in WWI. That dummy was 'dressed' as german Kaiser Wilhelm.

Comment

thanks for that!

Comment

thanks for that!
            No problem man

Comment

If you have even a little bit of interest in that character, I'd really advice you to take a look at the site Bat posted up top there and look through some of the newspaper writings on Nelson from those who watched him at the time.

Even just an hour or two of reading on his fights with Gans, Wolgast, or even Moran (when he was used up) will probably leave you amazed at Nelson's capacity to take punishment, and will give you a great idea why so many still to this day consider Nelson to have been the toughest and most willing fighter to have ever stepped into a boxing ring.

Check out that fantastic site if you have the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi View Post
                If you have even a little bit of interest in that character, I'd really advice you to take a look at the site Bat posted up top there and look through some of the newspaper writings on Nelson from those who watched him at the time.

Even just an hour or two of reading on his fights with Gans, Wolgast, or even Moran (when he was used up) will probably leave you amazed at Nelson's capacity to take punishment, and will give you a great idea why so many still to this day consider Nelson to have been the toughest and most willing fighter to have ever stepped into a boxing ring.

Check out that fantastic site if you have the time.
                Yeah. The site is an excellent source of historical info.

I must also recommend going through the papers for stories on the Johnson-Jeffrires fight. That's excellent coverage and also revealing of the times back then.

Comment

Originally posted by BatTheMan View Post
                  Yeah. The site is an excellent source of historical info.

I must also recommend going through the papers for stories on the Johnson-Jeffrires fight. That's excellent coverage and also revealing of the times back then.
                  refs must have been diferent back then, fighters could get away with a lot more. Harry Greb used to thumb people in the eye, until someone did it to him and detached his retina. also i've read stories of fighters punching opponents in the throat before the bell. mike tython would have got away with a lot of dirty **** if he'd been back in the day

Comment

Originally posted by phallusy View Post
                    refs must have been diferent back then, fighters could get away with a lot more. Harry Greb used to thumb people in the eye, until someone did it to him and detached his retina. also i've read stories of fighters punching opponents in the throat before the bell. mike tython would have got away with a lot of dirty **** if he'd been back in the day
                    Times have changed. The sport was much more barbaric back then with 4 oz gloves and 50 round fights and no colortelevision close-ups of cuts and bruises. Only heroic fight reports from newspapermen.

Comment

Working...
                    X