Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to maximise the power of any punch in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to maximise the power of any punch in boxing?

Give me the basics, give me tips, give me advanced knowledge.

How do you sit on a punch?

Should you keep the feet unmoved so less rotational energy is lost or use a full range of motion on your feet?

Whats rooting how do you stay rooted?

Should you roll the shoulder in a circular way to maximizes the shoulder snap? Hows that done?

Vertical fist or get extra snap by turning the fist over so the thumb points down?

How do you maximize body weight?

What do the pros do that few people know about?
    Last edited by AlexKid; 01-23-2016, 12:34 AM.

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    Give me the basics, give me tips, give me advanced knowledge.

How do you sit on a punch?

Should you keep the feet unmoved so less rotational energy is lost or use a full range of motion on your feet?

Whats rooting how do you stay rooted?

Should you roll the shoulder in a circular way to maximizes the shoulder snap? Hows that done?

Vertical fist or get extra snap by turning the fist over so the thumb points down?

How do you maximize body weight?

What do the pros do that few people know about?
    I'll answer these....

To sit on a punch, bend your knees, plant your feet... and follow the natural rotation of your body as you flow from left to right..and vice versa.

The natural rotation of your body will dictate things as far as your feet are concerned. Don't overdo it, dont throw yourself out of sync, you wIll lose energy and power that way.. the idea is to channel ALL your energy you generate to the end of your fist.. this is not possible if you bleed energy out with exaggerated counter productive movement that undermines that effort of focusing .. less is more if you want that quiet thudding power...but more foot ..and knee..and hip articulation is required for that snapping explosive power. Personally, i like to find a balance between the two.

The hips and the feet have a reciprocal relationship. The feet (andlegs) provide the stability for the hips to rotate..but then in turn, the hips dictate the rotation of the feet... unless of course you have pre aligned some torque generating footwork! But generally, the reactive energy of the foot rotation in relation to the hips is similar to a grounding wire in electronics. Everything in sync..everything in balance.

Rolling the shoulder comes naturally when you extend your arm and rotate the fist. The fulcrum of your fist rotation should come a fraction of an inch..or directly upon impact with your intended target.

Generally that should be sufficient..but fist articulation should differ depending on the distance of the punch and the angle and trajectory in relation to your intended target. Good intelligent fist articulation can preserve your wrists and knuckles.

Root is how strongly you are connected to the ground. Different types of terrain effect your root as well as your balance. Energy to punch comes from the ground. Even a lunging mid air punch was channeled from the ground prior to the jumpstep! Boxers develop their root more organically by working on balance while in rotation rotation. But a practice called "push hands" is prevalent in tma to strengthen one's bond with the ground. Where two practitioners flow off the others' movements and seek to unroot the other. High level rooting can be maintained even when moving.

To add weight transference into a punch you can jumpstep into it..or even lean into it so the lean coincides with the end of the punch. Different levels of weight transference can occur depending on the accompanying movement. As with most other things... a master of weight transference can transfer more of his weight into a punch with a slight imperceptible shift than a novice can with a dynamic jump.

You will find the pros do many of the same things..only better. They have practiced and practiced..and practiced..... basic techniques until it has become advanced technique.. at the heart of every advanced technique is a basic technique upon which it was founded. This is a secret not well kept but not well heeded either!
    Last edited by Syf; 01-29-2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Alexkid i will give you the best advice you will ever get on this board.

Join a damn boxing gym and stop trying to learn to box through a boxing forum and youtube videos, it's just not going to happen man. You have nobody to correct your mistakes. The only thing you are probably doing right now is creating bad habits.

Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
        I'll answer these....

To sit on a punch, bend your knees, plant your feet... and follow the natural rotation of your body as you flow from left to right..and vice versa.

The natural rotation of your body will dictate things as far as your feet are concerned. Don't overdo it, dont throw yourself out of sync, you wIll lose energy and power that way.. the idea is to channel ALL your energy you generate to the end of your fist.. this is not possible if you bleed energy out with exaggerated counter productive movement that undermines that effort of focusing .. less is more if you want that quiet thudding power...but more foot ..and knee..and hip articulation is required for that snapping explosive power. Personally, i like to find a balance between the two.

The hips and the feet have a reciprocal relationship. The feet (andlegs) provide the stability for the hips to rotate..but then in turn, the hips dictate the rotation of the feet... unless of course you have pre aligned some torque generating footwork! But generally, the reactive energy of the foot rotation in relation to the hips is similar to a grounding wire in electronics. Everything in sync..everything in balance.

Rolling the shoulder comes naturally when you extend your arm and rotate the fist. The fulcrum of your fist rotation should come a fraction of an inch..or directly upon impact with your intended target.

Generally that should be sufficient..but fist articulation should differ depending on the distance of the punch and the angle and trajectory in relation to your intended target. Good intelligent fist articulation can preserve your wrists and knuckles.

Root is how strongly you are connected to the ground. Different types of terrain effect your root as well as your balance. Energy to punch comes from the ground. Even a lunging mid air punch was channeled from the ground prior to the jumpstep! Boxers develop their root more organically by working on balance while in rotation rotation. But a practice called "push hands" is prevalent in tma to strengthen one's bond with the ground. Where two practitioners flow off the others' movements and seek to unroot the other. High level rooting can be maintained even when moving.

To add weight transference into a punch you can jumpstep into it..or even lean into it so the lean coincides with the end of the punch. Different levels of weight transference can occur depending on the accompanying movement. As with most other things... a master of weight transference can transfer more of his weight into a punch with a slight imperceptible shift than a novice can with a dynamic jump.

You will find the pros do many of the same things..only better. They have practiced and practiced..and practiced..... basic techniques until it has become advanced technique.. at the heart of every advanced technique is a basic technique upon which it was founded. This is a secret not well kept but not well heeded either!

AWESOME THANKS BRO i REALLY APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME TO WRITE THAT ITS REALLY HELPFUL AND YOU REALLY KNOW YOUR TRADE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
          Alexkid i will give you the best advice you will ever get on this board.

Join a damn boxing gym and stop trying to learn to box through a boxing forum and youtube videos, it's just not going to happen man. You have nobody to correct your mistakes. The only thing you are probably doing right now is creating bad habits.

Just saying.
          i second this...good advice
          my god i dont you but i certainly wouldnt put you in a ring judging on the questions you ask

Comment

You gotta grit yer teeth, squeeze your bum hole together, really tight, and let 'er rip. Knock outs are almost guaranteed. All of the greatest knock out punchers were bum hole squeezers......

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              You gotta grit yer teeth, squeeze your bum hole together, really tight, and let 'er rip. Knock outs are almost guaranteed. All of the greatest knock out punchers were bum hole squeezers......
              lol thanks rock will try that, good way to get the hips going im guessing

Comment

AWESOME THANKS BRO i REALLY APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME TO WRITE THAT ITS REALLY HELPFUL AND YOU REALLY KNOW YOUR TRADE!!
                No problem.. I used to enjoy teaching people very much. Guess this section is now my outlet for that.

Comment

lol thanks rock will try that, good way to get the hips going im guessing
                  No problem Alex Kid, I am here to help..........

Comment

Working...
                  X