No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Brian Rose: I Had To Dig Deep at Times To Beat Maciel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Brian Rose: I Had To Dig Deep at Times To Beat Maciel

Brian Rose came through a gruelling contest to gain a split decision over Argentina's Javier Maciel in their WBO light-middleweight eliminator in Sheffield. It was a fight of contrasting styles with the wild Maciel providing most of the aggression, but Rose offering much the more accurate and considered work despite being on the back foot for long spells. In the end he was given the nod with Maciel getting a 115-113 verdict from one judge, but the Englishman was awarded it 117-111 by another and then 116-113 on the third and final card.

[Click Here To Read More]

The 117-111 card is a total disgrace. Rose was in survival mode half this fight. One guy's face was a mess (Rose) and the other looked like he'd been hit very little.

I didn't watch the entire fight, but what I did see was very unfavourable for Rose, and I have a hard time believing he was bossing every second I was away. Also the stream I watched, everybody on chat thought Maciel was robbed.

Just another hometown decision. As a Brit, I'm increasingly disgusted at the blatant corruption on display as horrific scorecards become a regular feature of some promoters events.

Comment

I walked into the pub with 30 seconds gone in the seventh round, and I can honestly say I didn't see Rose win a round from 7-12!!

As I said I didn't catch the fight in its entirety but the 117-111 scorecard was disgraceful

Comment

I had it a draw but it could have gone either way, the problem maciel had was he would dominate the early part of a round and then run out of energy and rose would steal it at the end, he should have clinched or gone for a walk a bit to pinch rounds. It was the best fight on the card though, although vanes would outbox rose easily im convinced.

Comment

I usually give the hometown fighter three to five points at the start of the fight and I'm rarely disappointed. Not only in the UK, sadly, but world wide. Germany, Mexico, Japan, the boys and girl club, every where. Maybe there is no fix, these judges have built in motives, social and financial pressures that can't be eradicated. In any case, for the visiting fighter, no KO, no win.

Comment

I was at the fight and wasn't scoring it round by round but I definitely had the feeling that Rose was soundly beaten.
            Came home and watched it on tv and actually thought it was closer than I originally had it. The 117-111 scorecard was an absolute disgrace though as someone rightly said.
            He might have earned the world title shot but there is no way he wins it based on that performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Corelone View Post
              I usually give the hometown fighter three to five points at the start of the fight and I'm rarely disappointed. Not only in the UK, sadly, but world wide. Germany, Mexico, Japan, the boys and girl club, every where. Maybe there is no fix, these judges have built in motives, social and financial pressures that can't be eradicated. In any case, for the visiting fighter, no KO, no win.
              Agree, it doesn't have to be outright corruption. You play nice, you get more good gigs. But once in a while this rule fails. Like with Sturm recently, his hometown luck ran out. Seemed to coincide with him leaving Universum and going solo.

Comment

Working...
              X