Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That's what happens when you try to be Mayweather!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Defututus View Post
    yea, i also saw some jabs to the body from rios, i think he was emulating floyd
    Right then. You're a bit of a thick ****. Try reading into the point of a post rather than being a pedantic little prick.

Comment

That was the best fight I've seen in a long time. If Alvarado was successful at the Philly shell, the fight would have been a boring dud. Boxing is what we witnessed last night. Mayweather is an excellent defensive fighter, but 90% of his career has been boring, and he has only 1 or 2 fights I would watch replays of.

Comment

i get where you are going with your argument. The only thing is that it does matter when you say that there is no difference between styles. Paulie Malinaggi uses a shoulder roll, but is nothing like Mayweather. Shyt Toney's style is nothing like Mayweather's.

He tried to emulate Abril.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
          That was the best fight I've seen in a long time. If Alvarado was successful at the Philly shell, the fight would have been a boring dud. Boxing is what we witnessed last night. Mayweather is an excellent defensive fighter, but 90% of his career has been boring, and he has only 1 or 2 fights I would watch replays of.
          Indeed! I'm glad he wasn't successful and didn't fight like Abril, Mayweather whoever. It was an amazing fight whatever happened and however they fought though. Pity it didn't last a bit longer, but I don't see how it could have anyway with Alvarado throwing nearly 150 punches in round 5 and well over 100 in he others. That's just insane. He was either going to take Rios out or wear himself out.

Comment

I agree the fight was amazing.

Disagree with your assessment that Mayweather's fight are 90% boring. He executes a great plan and his fights are interesting because he is master at the hit and do not get hit style.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
              That's largely the point.

Don't get me wrong, he wasn't trying to do a Broner and be like Mayweather, I'm just using mayweathers name as an example, but he was using a defensive technique that he shouldn't have been.

Whether it was Abril or Mayweather or whoever else doesn't matter, it shouldn't have been tried by Alvarado because he got hit very easily inside when he was using it. He would have been much better served with both hands up and pushing off Rios to get space.

Defututus: he's the obvious name to recall being the most popular exponent of it today and the most recognisable name.
              Very true. I couldn't believe how Alvarado could just not make adjustments as he kept getting tagged with some of the same bombs. And instead of fighting from a distance where he was looking good, he kept getting inside with Rios which I thought was foolish. It was actually looking like Alvarado was taking control of the fight before Rios just started throwing and more importantly landing some huge shots. I personally feel that Alvarado fought a dumb fight and could have won had he not tried to engage in such a war. But hey, doesn't matter I guess, we got a great fight out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjosh View Post
                i get where you are going with your argument. The only thing is that it does matter when you say that there is no difference between styles. Paulie Malinaggi uses a shoulder roll, but is nothing like Mayweather. Shyt Toney's style is nothing like Mayweather's.

He tried to emulate Abril.
                Yeah, who he tried to emulate isn't important. That's not really the point.

It's more about using techniques that a fighter doesn't have the right tools for and hasn't used before. All of those guys you mentioned use certain techniques in their own style and stick to using them. Often the same techniques. All common boxing techniques. Obviously they are going to use them in different ways. You aren't going to see Malignaggi come in trying to bomb a power puncher out though, and this is the point.

A guy that's really easy to hit and doesn't use a defensive counter punching style should not try to do so in a fight against a guy with a great inside game and excellent power. It's a recipe for disaster. He's an offensive power puncher that breaks guys down. He should have stuck to that while mixing in his basic boxing skills. His jab was working well and trying to find space was good. He didn't need to try using what had worked for Abril, because it clearly wasn't going to work for him.

We still got a good fight, but it would have been great regardless I think.

Comment

Before the fight I knew it was 50/50, but I knew Rios inside game was too much for Alvarado, since the first round when I saw Rios landing those short punches to the face I felt Rios would stop him late, those shorter punches are harder that's why his face was busted up so quick n his jaw was weaken by the 7th rd that's when Rios tries to land his harder shots like against Acosta, then tose longer punches from the outside I really didn't see Rios get hurt bad, I feel the Acosta fight was much tougher for him, I think rematch will go the same way but Alvarado is a big puncher n has a big heart so u can't really ever count him, I feel Rios was barely warming up, watch the Acosta fight how he takes of those middle rounds, Robert Garcia n Rios knew it I don't rememer what round was it Rios was smiling in the corner n Garcia told him don't get confident though

Comment

Originally posted by TX_BOXNG View Post
                    Before the fight I knew it was 50/50, but I knew Rios inside game was too much for Alvarado, since the first round when I saw Rios landing those short punches to the face I felt Rios would stop him late, those shorter punches are harder that's why his face was busted up so quick n his jaw was weaken by the 7th rd that's when Rios tries to land his harder shots like against Acosta, then tose longer punches from the outside I really didn't see Rios get hurt bad, I feel the Acosta fight was much tougher for him, I think rematch will go the same way but Alvarado is a big puncher n has a big heart so u can't really ever count him, I feel Rios was barely warming up, watch the Acosta fight how he takes of those middle rounds, Robert Garcia n Rios knew it I don't rememer what round was it Rios was smiling in the corner n Garcia told him don't get confident though
                    I wasn't 50-50. I knew Rios would win, and he won exactly how you said he did. Good post.

Comment

It was working. He made a mistake in the way he turned and it cost him. It happens

Comment

Working...
                      X