No announcement yet.

Need tips vs southpaws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need tips vs southpaws

Hello, could someone give me short basic summary of things to do and not against southpaw boxers.
    Ive heard myself to less use the right hand as southpaws have it easier seeing it coming.

George Foreman gave some good advice on this..

just fight em, just box em. Stop worrying so much about it and just do with what works in that fight/sparring session.

The straight right hand is great, just shoot it from where it's at (don't load up) and keep it up and shoot it right down the pipe. Stepping to your left will help some if you already don't know.

Experiment with a dropping jab starting from a eye level position, just drop weight on your lead leg and hit them with a jab to the body. That is if they don't hold their lead arm in front of their torso like in a shell.

Comment

I'm orthodox and regularly spar against a southpaw pro. Step to your left, a lot, pivoting on your left foot, but be careful not to go too far with your right and end up in a straight line. Keep your left foot on the outside of his front foot. It's common to step on a southpaw's foot. I notice when I shoot my straight right, I can step in right after and take a southpaw stance and jab jab jab away- it seems southpaws have trouble fighting orthodox fighters when they slip into a southpaw stance- more so than fighting with other southpaws. Be prepared to get out of their quick, be able to jab as you move out.

Southpaws tend to stand in one line so give lots of angles. Hit their shoulder a lot to wear them down. Don't move in and out in a straight line. Lots of faints, and STEP TO THE LEFT.

Comment

Theres no ONE southpaw! Their are different styles with southpaws the same as orthodox fighters show different styles. Some you can lead with the right and hook off that others you need to step out on and use your hook first and add the right hand. What punches to use are up to where he positions his head, is he slightly over his front knee or is he leaning out or back most of the time. Seeing your opponents style will dictate what to throw and when.
        Theres alot to say for fighting YOUR style and see how they adapt to you, you do need to know where the counters will be coming from but thats in your preperations.
        With my amatuer boxers we would first slide left and use a double to triple jab and look to see his reaction and my guys would have alternitive moves to go to depending what their opponent does! Most orthodox boxers are not well schooled on counter moves and counter punches against a southpaw so most corners will ask them to be agressive and back them up!!!
        Best advice I can give you is first find a southpaw to work with and/or have your trainer move with you in a southpaws stance and put your combos together using the mitts. Ray

Comment

- Try to keep your left/front foot to the left of their right/front foot. This lines up your right hand and positions your left hook to come from an angle harder to see

- If you do find you left/front foot on the inside of their right/front foot, you better be looking for their straight left because you're in line for it. Either duck under the left, catch and counter with a left hook, or shoot your right hand inside of it to intercept it.

- Also, if you find your left/front foot on the inside of their right/front foot, they are ripe for a quick left/check hook. From this position, the left hook is a SUPER short punch. You can shoot your left hook then pivot out away to YOUR left away from their left hand. This is a good set up.

- Practice throwing the straight right/left hook combination

- If the southpaw is using their jab against you well, hold your left hand out a bit in front of you and touch their right/jab hand on occassion. That will discourage their jab.

- To set up a right hand, hold your head right to center to bait them into shooting their left hand...when they shoot their left hand, slip back left of center and counter with your straight right at the same time.
          Last edited by mconstantine; 09-13-2013, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't know the first thing about fighting southpaws. I did beat Corey Johnson a few times, fought plenty lefties in the ams and sparred with Bronco McCart on a daily basis. But seeing as I got knocked out once, not by a southpaw, I don't know nothing about fighting southpaws or about boxing. I have a hard time even spelling the word......... Rockin'

Comment

Working...
            X