Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting up the Lead Right / Lead Hook.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up the Lead Right / Lead Hook.

Whats up.

What are your best / favorite ways to set up a lead right hand or lead left hook? I have a few ways but I feel like I need to vary how I set them up a bit more.

(I am talking pot shots hear, so shoot then move).

I learned from Bernard Hopkins (Video where he taught it) that while you are moving around the ring and at any time throw the lead right. You can't stop to set your feet or that takes away the surprise. It doesn't have to be the hardest hit because just of the surprise of it will stun your opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
      I learned from Bernard Hopkins (Video where he taught it) that while you are moving around the ring and at any time throw the lead right. You can't stop to set your feet or that takes away the surprise. It doesn't have to be the hardest hit because just of the surprise of it will stun your opponent.
      Yeah I've seen that too. He says just don't think about it.

Comment

1. tell your opponent that his shoe is untied. really sell it to him though, point at it and everything. and then bust him in his chops

or maybe try pulling him out with a sharply thrown feint and then busting his chops.

maybe mix the lead right hands upstairs and down stairs through out the bout.

mybe then mix the right hands up and down, throw a sharp feint at the guy and then bust him in his chops with another right hand.

with the lead hooks do the same. work your man up and down with the jab. feint a jab and turn a hook over his out reached glove. if he's covered then shoot to the body and come up top. step back fire a right to his ribs...... mixin' things up, your combos, is very important when you get to higher levels.

keep your opponent guessing......... and then bust him in his chops
        Last edited by Rockin'; 11-06-2015, 02:06 AM.

Comment

When it comes to the lead right, what I find works well is when your opponent is having to readjust from a more lateral position to you (whether you were turning the opponent, getting tangled from the inside and stepping out, whatever the scenario), as they make their adjustment is when I drop the shot in. In these instances, guys tend to over expose their midline while in the process of trying to realign their crosshairs, especially if you do a good job at turning them. You can work the inverse of this and drop that lead right as you circle your way back to the center (again aligning your lead right hand to their midline)
          - It's also really nice against folks who try to keep a high guard (but what isn't?) and then work combinations off of it.
          - But like you guys said, there should be no preliminary movement, and just fall into the shot. A lot of times I'll just roll out to my right, or fall to their right hemisphere.

With the lead left hook, you kind of need to establish your jab, or at least the threat of one. And you need to give different looks with your jab because you're really trying to mask your hook as a jab, but to vary the jab itself will help you land that hook. Upjabs, flicker jabs, pawing jabs, coming over the top with it. The hooking itself is easy. Just get that small little hop that allows you to cross distance when throwing the lead hand and you're golden.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
            When it comes to the lead right, what I find works well is when your opponent is having to readjust from a more lateral position to you (whether you were turning the opponent, getting tangled from the inside and stepping out, whatever the scenario), as they make their adjustment is when I drop the shot in. In these instances, guys tend to over expose their midline while in the process of trying to realign their crosshairs, especially if you do a good job at turning them. You can work the inverse of this and drop that lead right as you circle your way back to the center (again aligning your lead right hand to their midline)
            - It's also really nice against folks who try to keep a high guard (but what isn't?) and then work combinations off of it.
            - But like you guys said, there should be no preliminary movement, and just fall into the shot. A lot of times I'll just roll out to my right, or fall to their right hemisphere.

With the lead left hook, you kind of need to establish your jab, or at least the threat of one. And you need to give different looks with your jab because you're really trying to mask your hook as a jab, but to vary the jab itself will help you land that hook. Upjabs, flicker jabs, pawing jabs, coming over the top with it. The hooking itself is easy. Just get that small little hop that allows you to cross distance when throwing the lead hand and you're golden.
            This was great help, thanks man!

Comment

I use to be pretty good at this... I never really thought about how... You just feel it at the time... I'll upload a video of me sparring (from back when I boxed) I'll edit it so it shows just me firing the straight right or lead hook hopefully it helps

Comment

Throwing leads is all about spatial awareness. You won't have other shots to use as a rangefinder to land that lead. I've heard how others throw a lead with little to no power behind it so they can throw it freely, but I feel that's a shortcut. The trick is to throw freely WITH power. A much harder thing to do.

I find practicing the jab ALOT helps with my spatial awareness. You have to know exactly how far you can reach at all times. The easy part is knowing when you can touch a stationary target...but it becomes more complex and intuitive when you AND your opponent are moving as well.

The short answer to your question is you set up your leads with your spatial awareness and your footwork. Also you can come low high with your lead..or high low... body feinting I call that. Something to use against more skilled opponents...

Comment

More..

Part of the feinting is with the eyes.. Some guys try to read where you are looking to anticipate where you will throw. You can lead them astray by looking somewhere you will not throw as a setup for a lead.

For instance. Pretend intent to throw a lead right or jab to the body with the eyes but actually go to the head with your lead. Vice versa applies. Some wonder how you can keep on target when you are not actually looking at where you land.. One way is to keep "soft eyes" and appear to be fixing your gaze on an intended target but actually widening your lens to encompass your entire opponent... The other way is through spatial logic.. Everything on your opponent is attached... If you focus on one reference of your opponent.. Head.. Midsection.. You should be able to work out mentally where the rest of him is at via heightened spatial awareness.

Comment

here is throwback vid of me sparring throwing some leads...

https://www.facebook.com/patrickstar...4680857982057/

I made it public so you all should be able to see it

Comment

Working...
                    X