No announcement yet.

Holyfield vs Bert Cooper

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One more round View Post
    The 3rd round needs a shout out as one of the best rounds ever IMO. High drama slugfest at close quarters. Great stuff.
    yea,,,cooper could bang for a small heavy. watch his fight with moorer if you haven't already. damn inside slugfest

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
      yea,,,cooper could bang for a small heavy. watch his fight with moorer if you haven't already. damn inside slugfest
      I haven't seen that fight bro, cheers. I love slugfests fought on the inside, my favourite kind of fight easily.

Comment

That was a grueling, heavyweight fight. The kind of fight you get when two fighters are skilled on the inside. The kind of fight you barely see at HW today.

Cooper was just all wrong for an Evander who was a real small HW at that time. Cooper could take a punch, could give one and was sturdy. That ripped glove break came at the right time and if Cooper had survived the seventh...I don't know. Anyway, I love watching Evander. Just unbelievable skill, a sharp boxing brain with a warrior's spirit.

Comment

Wasn't Cooper a short notice opponent in this match? Who knows what would have happened if he wasn't

Comment

Cooper was a fun fighter with good power but I think it would have an easier opponent if they under different circumstances. Funny but Cooper's whole career was one crazy rollercoaster ride.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              That was a grueling, heavyweight fight. The kind of fight you get when two fighters are skilled on the inside. The kind of fight you barely see at HW today.

Cooper was just all wrong for an Evander who was a real small HW at that time. Cooper could take a punch, could give one and was sturdy. That ripped glove break came at the right time and if Cooper had survived the seventh...I don't know. Anyway, I love watching Evander. Just unbelievable skill, a sharp boxing brain with a warrior's spirit.
              I love watching Holyfield throw combinations.

Comment

Originally posted by No Tomorrow View Post
                Wasn't Cooper a short notice opponent in this match? Who knows what would have happened if he wasn't
                Holyfield was originally supposed to fight Tyson until Tyson got arrested for rape. Then Evander was going to fight Francesco Damiani who got injured. Enter Bert Cooper...

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  Holyfield was originally supposed to fight Tyson until Tyson got arrested for rape. Then Evander was going to fight Francesco Damiani who got injured. Enter Bert Cooper...
                  Cooper took the fight on less than two weeks notice if I remember correctly.

Comment

Cooper did so well he got another shot at a title the year after, and was in another grueling fight against Moorer where he dropped him several times but still got stopped. Poor guy, but he could be very dangerous but never got a piece of the title.

If I remember correctly there once was a story about Oliver McCall saying that he sparred with Cooper and that nobody ever hit him as hard as Bert did. That's a pretty big statement I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X