Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the general public to harsh on sportsmen, in terms.............

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocco1252 View Post
    I dont think it has anything to do with their environment no it directly cooresponds to thier own personal thinking. Listen all these teams have codes of conduct that they are supposed to follow it's not everyone on the team getting out of hand it's usually 1 or 2 bad seeds in the bunch and most often it's the highest paid ones because they think they are owed for what they do when in fact we are owed and not owed money but owed respect from them because if it wasnt for fans then there wouldnt be sports to watch daily day in and day out and that would in the end not pay them anything and they wouldnt even be where they are now instead they would actually have to get an education and work hard day in and day out like the rest of us.
    Only reason i bring that up, is cause its like these people who moan about the money they earn, whilst in the same breath, saying, i wouldn't be a money grabbing SOB if i were in their shoes, only when they say it, you know they would, which leads me to believe, if so many people are doing the same thing when they achieve that, being money grabbing SOB's, there were do peoples morals go when they get into that position?

You know i always thought it was the lower echelon players rather than the top players, reason i have always thought its more so them, is cause top players have to be dedicated and focused to get to where they are, where as these guys who live crazy life styles, tend to be not so talented players, guys who feel they arrived, that their career is over cause they have a few mil in the bank, that they can just kick back and enjoy living it up.

Comment

I dont think it has anything to do with their environment no it directly cooresponds to thier own personal thinking. Listen all these teams have codes of conduct that they are supposed to follow it's not everyone on the team getting out of hand it's usually 1 or 2 bad seeds in the bunch and most often it's the highest paid ones because they think they are owed for what they do when in fact we are owed and not owed money but owed respect from them because if it wasnt for fans then there wouldnt be sports to watch daily day in and day out and that would in the end not pay them anything and they wouldnt even be where they are now instead they would actually have to get an education and work hard day in and day out like the rest of us.
      I think the enviroment has some doing in their thinking. For a lot of these guys ever since they were playing sports in their young days they were told how great they were. Probably a lot of yes men around them and guys trying hang on to their coatails hoping they may get something when they make it big. They probably got away with a lot of stuff that non big time athletes didn't. So they are hyped up all their lives and think that certain rules don't apply to them. So when they get older they act the same way. Combine that with lots of money and fame and it's not a good combo.

For me all I want from athletes is they go out on the field, pitch, court or whatever and give their best efforts and play the right way while they are out their. That's the only thing I think they owe me as a fan. Otherwise I could care less what they do with their private lives unless it's affects their performance or they are held out of a game because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by IncuFan View Post
        I think the enviroment has some doing in their thinking. For a lot of these guys ever since they were playing sports in their young days they were told how great they were. Probably a lot of yes men around them and guys trying hang on to their coatails hoping they may get something when they make it big. They probably got away with a lot of stuff that non big time athletes didn't. So they are hyped up all their lives and think that certain rules don't apply to them. So when they get older they act the same way. Combine that with lots of money and fame and it's not a good combo.

For me all I want from athletes is they go out on the field, pitch, court or whatever and give their best efforts and play the right way while they are out their. That's the only thing I think they owe me as a fan. Otherwise I could care less what they do with their private lives unless it's affects their performance or they are held out of a game because of it.

Here here, i never thought about it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by IncuFan View Post

you make a good point but come on think about the problem people, for instance, ben rothlisburger, tiger woods, terrell owens, randy moss, kobe bryant, allen iverson, lebron james, floyd mayweather......

These guys you hear everything about and most of it is because of the crap they pull off the field you dont hear about the bottom *****es(less paid players) it's only because they get paid so crazy that they feel entitled if they actually got paid league minimum for the first 3 years and proved themselves to be great then hell pay them as much as you want but there should be some sort of probationary period for new so called great players before they jump right in to getting paid more money than the rest of the league.

Comment

you make a good point but come on think about the problem people, for instance, ben rothlisburger, tiger woods, terrell owens, randy moss, kobe bryant, allen iverson, lebron james, floyd mayweather......

These guys you hear everything about and most of it is because of the crap they pull off the field you dont hear about the bottom *****es(less paid players) it's only because they get paid so crazy that they feel entitled if they actually got paid league minimum for the first 3 years and proved themselves to be great then hell pay them as much as you want but there should be some sort of probationary period for new so called great players before they jump right in to getting paid more money than the rest of the league.
            The media also pays attention a lot more to those star players. For all we know a golfer not even in the top 50 could be doing what Tiger did, but the media doesn't care about him so we don't hear about it. Same way with a second stringer, third stringer etc.. in other sports.

In the NFL the top drafted rookies get paid entirely too much. Something definitely needs to be done about that. In Baseball and Basketball I think their's some kind of minimum they get. Still a lot though for the top drafted players. After that all the other guys pretty much have to earn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
              Its only the same choice you or i would make to work somewhere, plus, who is to say they should act this way or that?
              Whether they like it or not it goes with the territory. They can either accept it or reject it
              We dont hold rockstars as accountable as these guys, and some of those guys promote drugs, even sing about it.
              They're not rockstars however, they're sports stars and they'd do well to remember that. Rockstars have different requirements placed upon them.

The only thing that comes with it, from my perspective, well, going on general the general public's opinion, is that there will always be bitter ****s out there trying to take a shot at any misdemeanor, because!, they are jealous of what you have, which is an alteriormotive, which is why they try to say responsibility comes with being a footballer, what they really mean is, if you make that much money, try not to make the already bitter people, more bitter toward you by giving them a stick to beat you with, tis sad that people are like that imo.
              Regardless of whether it's right or wrong it goes with the territory of being a high profile public figure. If you choose that occupation (and it is a choice) then you have to accept what goes with it. If they don't like it? then find another occupation.

Also, do you honestly think 20 year olds dont get urges, do you think you could resist a threesome given the opportunity? i know i couldn't, its not realistic to expect a person with all that money, at that age, coming from the background a lot of them do, which is council estates, to behave responsibly all the time, of coarse they will try, but they will generally always fall off the wagon at some point, they aint robots.
              I don't necessarily think the public judges that harshly on players having threesomes, a man cheating on his pregnant wife or making racist comments tends to invoke a harsher reaction.

Comment

Whether they like it or not it goes with the territory. They can either accept it or reject it

But doesn't it only come with the territory because! people are more bitter, rather than righteous through decency? imo its the former rather than the latter.

They're not rockstars however, they're sports stars and they'd do well to remember that. Rockstars have different requirements placed upon them.
                Why though? i mean, look at that guy Pete doherty, if that is not glamorizing drugs, i dont know what is, you telling me that artists should not be held just as accountable, if not more? they have far more influence over teenagers than any football player, whats the worst a would be 12 year old footballer is gonna do, shout at a ref? he is hardly going to make a conscious decision to say to himself, i know, ill roast a few pro's when i get to 20, just cause my hero did it. Im a parent myself, and id more concerned about how they sex these music videos up, videos that kids are watching, i mean, listen to the lyrics of Rihanna's song (Rude Boy), you telling me there are not young teenagers listening to that who dont know whats its referring to? trust me, there are more trivial things in life than what football players get up to.

Regardless of whether it's right or wrong it goes with the territory of being a high profile public figure. If you choose that occupation (and it is a choice) then you have to accept what goes with it. If they don't like it? then find another occupation.
                Maybe it does, maybe we are not discussing whether its right are wrong, is it realistic to expect!! them to behave that way all the time? after all, as i said, these are young men with millions in the bank, guys from impoverished backgrounds, hell look at Tiger Woods, that guy seems like he comes from a well to do family, and he still has his misdemeanors, im sorry, i just dont think its realistic to expect them to act responsibly all of the time, irrespective of peoples ideals, that they should cause of the money, spot light, they are not robots.

Comment

Nothing is for free, they get paid and insane amount of money just to compete in a sport.

Yeah it can be hard training for that sport but like boxing for example its fun and its not the same as having a real job even if the hours all even out in the end between the two.

Comment

Working...
                  X