Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any of you taught yourself how to play an instrument?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bababoey970 View Post
    Youtube is your friend. I'm trying to learn the Alto sax, can be frustrating at times. I feel like I might be to old to learn an instrument but I'll keep on trying.
    That's how I feel...I had a guitar back when I was in HS but didn't have the resources (I know it's an easy excuse). If only YouTube was around back then.

Comment

Originally posted by horge View Post
      Guitar back in 78. Drums in 79.
      I'm no virtuoso with either, but I can keep up in most jams.

Formal lessons probably would have yielded better results,
      but I always was quite horrible to teachers.
      You've been playing for awhile then. Do you mainly just play other's music or can you freestyle as well?

Comment

Originally posted by -The Glove- View Post
        You've been playing for awhile then. Do you mainly just play other's music or can you freestyle as well?
        I play mostly covers, but I can jam some.
        I've about two dozen little tunes of my own, but they're
        really only for my own amusement, lol... whenever I am
        displeased with something, I try to channel it throug the
        forge and anvil, or the arc-welder at a minimum.

When I'm really pissed... that's when I write "music".

Comment

I learned to play my organ at a very young age.

Comment

I would say, buy some music theory books & dvds, buy some music reading books, classical guitar etude books (study pieces), music books of you favorite musicians, etc. As you go along you will see what your interests are. I have been trying to teach myself guitar for a couple of years now and am starting to get a little more serious about it. I am thinking about taking some courses for music reading, theory, and guitar at a local community college in order to get some proper education on the subject. If you buy music books, try to find some that come with cds of the music presented in the book, so that you can hear what you are trying to play. I just ordered a couple of books from amazon including Chopin, Bach, and Super Mario Bros. I have many different books on my wishlist that are for classical music and some jazz. I would like to learn piano because of Freddie Mercury and Super Mario Bros.

Comment

I had drum lessons for a couple of years, learnt how to play a beat and my paradiddles and could ready music at a basic level, then was in bands for 10 years and taught myself the rest as there was no need for lessons then.

I'm also a terrible bass player that enjoys trying. My hands are way too big and sloppy to play a guitar, I suck balls big time, but I can just about play come as you are by Nirvana on the guitar lol

Comment

Guitar. Bought 'guitar for dummies' when i purchased the actual guitar. Learnt a few chords, them power chords, then a little solo stuff. This was before there was a youtube.

And as far as writing songs, just listen to music and take note of how rhythms and tempos change, and how melodies repeat and are structured.

Comment

Guitar.

But I dont know scales and or music. Just powerchords, some shredding (I don't know the scale lol just where to put my fingers).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

Guitar is fairly easy. If you have an Xbox or PS3 get Rocksmith. You can even get it with a guitar and the cables. It works like Guitar Hero except it actually teaches you the real song, increasing in difficulty until you can do it.

Comment

Just my dick

Comment

Working...
                      X