Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Popular Is Golovkin? Forget PPVs, Let's not Troll, How Popular Is He?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    I'm not too sure, I think it's like this: Active fighters in the world:

Top 15 spots

Pacquiao
    Canelo (Big seller via Mexican fanbase)
    Cotto
    (JMM?)
    Joshua (biggest seller in England)
    DSG
    Bradley
    GGG
    Tied: Ward, Kovalev, Wilder, Wlad, Fury, Thurman
    Tied: Haye, Broner
    Tied: Brook, Khan
    Tied: Porter, Lara, Crawford

Things will start changing up after November, and since GGG is getting exposed as someone who doesn;t take challenges, he will drop in popularity
    Lol Ward is probably at the bottom of that list. I'm sure his stock will rise after this fight but unless you're really into boxing Ward is a complete random.

Comment

He generates enough Black hate

Comment

Judging by asses put in seats, he is somewhere between 5-10. Very few fighters can sellout venues in New York and L.A and I suspect pretty much anywhere he fights tbh. He is likely the most popular fighter outside of the PPV guys.

Comment

Golovkin seems to be quite popular now, many people who don't follow Boxing that much know of him.

Comment

Top 15 spots

Pacquiao
            Cotto
            (JMM?)
            DSG
            Bradley
            GGG

Things will start changing up after November, and since GGG is getting exposed as someone who doesn;t take challenges, he will drop in popularity
            GGG-brook sold more PPVs in the UK than joshua-whyte, which i believe was his biggest fight to date

i'd actually say that among british casuals GGG is now almost as well-known as mayweather and pacquiao, just based on my anecdotal evidence

Comment

Popularity wise in boxing I think the list would look something along the lines of this assuming we're only talking about active fighters
              1. Manny Pacquiao
              2. Canelo Alvarez
              3. Gennady Golovkin
              4. Anthony Joshua
              5. Miguel Cotto
              6. Wladimir Klitschko
              7. Alexander Povetkin
              8. Sergey Kovalev
              9. Kell Brook
              10. Arthur Abraham

You're talking about fan-bases here people who will travel many hundreds of miles to watch these guys, you're talking about guys who will lock and load out a stadium on every fight no matter what for the most part.

This is what I think the top ten list would be like for most popular.
              Last edited by M Bison; 09-22-2016, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                GGG-brook sold more PPVs in the UK than joshua-whyte, which i believe was his biggest fight to date

i'd actually say that among british casuals GGG is now almost as well-known as mayweather and pacquiao, just based on my anecdotal evidence
                He rates DSG and Bradley ahead of GGG he clearly has no clue what he is talking about.

Some Yanks need to know that boxing isn't big in USA anymore Europe is where it is at and you don't get better Yank fans than the Germans, British, Russian etc... I should have maybe added Povetkin to the top 10 he is more popular than Roman Gonzalez.

Comment

I'd say top 5. He brings in consistent crowds, he's one of the few fighters who consistently delivers ratings on HBO, he's one of two fighters they bother to care about anymore, and he's the only fighter besides Pacquiao that I've seen on a commercial here in America. I can't imagine there are 5 other fighters that are a bigger name right now.

Pacquiao, Alvarez, and Cotto are the only fighters off the top of my head that are definitely bigger stars.

Comment

Top 15 spots

Pacquiao
                    Cotto
                    (JMM?)
                    DSG
                    Bradley
                    GGG

There are so many errors in this post I can't even think how to overcome your ignorance.
                    JMM is not active anymore
                    DSG and Bradley are no where close
                    And Joshua, his PPV did less than GGG PPV mismatch.

Then, Khan is still like 10 times more popular than Brook both in UK and the rest of the world and no way they both are equal in popularity.
                    The Population of Pakistan alone which exceeds 120 million know who Khan is, no one cares about Brook. Let alone other countries.

You said the most popular active fighters in the world.
                    The world is not just USA bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      Top ten,,, probably the most well known guy that can't A-side a major fight..

Floyd
                      Manny
                      Canelo
                      Cotto
                      Marquez
                      Klitchko

Are the most recognizable stars in boxing
                      I'd take out Floyd since he's retired and I would debate about both Marquez and Wlad. Especially Wlad.

Comment

Working...
                      X