No announcement yet.

Andre Ward or Adrien Broner?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
    You're talking about comparing him to Andre Ward, arguably the No.1 P4P fighter on the planet.

Beating (destroying) Demarco clearly showed Broner was above that level of competition, i.e. solid, journeyman title holders who don't feature in anyone's P4P conversations but are nevertheless high quality pros.

Broner would have to beat guys like Gamboa, Mathysse, or Khan, guys who themselves would be in very few peoples' top 10 P4P before you start talking about him in those lofty terms.

That's not to say he isn't good or anything. People just need to keep a little perspective.
    I disagree.

What you're talking about is big names instead of big rank.

Khan is big NAME, not a top 3 champion any longer.

Its the rank that matters, not the hype or perception.

You're right about one thing: Broner fought the #1 LW and that alone has put his foot through the door in seeking the best competition. He's already done more than most by seeking out the best without playing weight drain games.

So let's leave the "He's got to fight heavily promoted names" argument alone. As long as Broner continues to fight the #1, 2 and 3 guys in ANY division consistently, he'll be near the top of the P4P list within 5-8 fights.

Comment

You're talking about comparing him to Andre Ward, arguably the No.1 P4P fighter on the planet.

Beating (destroying) Demarco clearly showed Broner was above that level of competition, i.e. solid, journeyman title holders who don't feature in anyone's P4P conversations but are nevertheless high quality pros.

Broner would have to beat guys like Gamboa, Mathysse, or Khan, guys who themselves would be in very few peoples' top 10 P4P before you start talking about him in those lofty terms.

That's not to say he isn't good or anything. People just need to keep a little perspective.
      I agree Broner is not p4p yet and Ward is way more accomplished. I don't think he's that far though, esp if he moves up for better names. But he could stay at 135 and dominate with ease.

Any of those wins you mention would be better than any single Ward win IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Jay View Post
        I disagree.

You're right about one thing: Broner fought the #1 LW and that alone has put his foot through the door in seeking the best competition. He's already done more than most by seeking out the best without playing weight drain games.

So let's leave the "He's got to fight heavily promoted names" argument alone. As long as Broner continues to fight the #1, 2 and 3 guys in ANY division consistently, he'll be near the top of the P4P list within 5-8 fights.
        Gamboa, Mathysse, and Khan are all better fighters than Demarco.

Although in your last post you implied that Demarco was better than Pacquiao so maybe you see something special in him.

Comment

Based on what?

Who has Bradley fought that makes Bradley a better P4P fighter?

Pacquiao?

LOL ... Pacquiao had just walked away with a tremendous gift before Bradley got his hands on Pacquiao. Manny's stock at that point wasn't catapulting anyone into king of the hill status as nearly any honest fan saw him as damaged goods at that point.
          Everybody Bradley fights is either undefeated or is a number 1 ranked contender (with the exception of Casa of course). Tim moved up and handed Abregu his only loss.....people were quick to say Abregu was a bum to begin with and said Tim looked like crap. Dulorme was supposed to turn him into hamburger meat and he got KTFO like nearly everyone else that he has faced.

Tim is turning down garbage fights that his promoter wants him to participate in because he wants tougher, more elite competition. Broner's best win is DeMarco I mean what has Broner done to make people put him on a pedestal? He is popular because of the Mayweather comparisons and that's it. Just listen to these commentators and promoters: "He could be the next Mayweather"....I don't see it but it is what it is.

Tim's resume is a lot better than Broner's is and the guys that he has beaten go on to dominate other world level talent so you know that them losing to Tim isn't a fluke, they just got shut down by a superior boxer.

Comment

Broner has waaaay more entertainment value than Clincher Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
              Everybody Bradley fights is either undefeated or is a number 1 ranked contender (with the exception of Casa of course). Tim moved up and handed Abregu his only loss.....people were quick to say Abregu was a bum to begin with and said Tim looked like crap. Dulorme was supposed to turn him into hamburger meat and he got KTFO like nearly everyone else that he has faced.

Tim is turning down garbage fights that his promoter wants him to participate in because he wants tougher, more elite competition. Broner's best win is DeMarco I mean what has Broner done to make people put him on a pedestal? He is popular because of the Mayweather comparisons and that's it. Just listen to these commentators and promoters: "He could be the next Mayweather"....I don't see it but it is what it is.

Tim's resume is a lot better than Broner's is and the guys that he has beaten go on to dominate other world level talent so you know that them losing to Tim isn't a fluke, they just got shut down by a superior boxer.
              Yeah but Bradley doesn't say funny stuff like 'no ****' or brush his hair. He doesn't even have hair.

Comment

So now Demarco is a tougher opponent than Manny Pacquiao
                Did I write that or do you have a comprehension problem?

Demarco, unlike Pacquiao, was #1 when Broner beat him.

Pacquiao had been demoted on most lists after the JMM3 fight.

That is what was conveyed.

Comment

I disagree.

I agree on Broner, but I wouldn't be bringing up weight drain games after what he pulled with Escobedo.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
                    You don't think Froch is elite? Kessler? Neither of them are elite? Then who at 168 should he have fought? Dirrell pulled out of their fight with a "head" injury.
                    Neither Froch or Kessler are elite fighters.

You can be at the top of your division and not be an elite fighter.

Skills and ability make you elite, not what you have accomplished.

Bute had amassed a very impressive record in some eyes ... and he even had so fooled into believing that he was elite .. that is until he stepped up competition.

Froch is still virtually young in his career. Broner is almost in the same position that Froch was when he entered the Super Six. Broner IMO is 10 times the technician that Froch or Kessler could ever be.

That isn't to say that Froch and Kessler don't have their strengths as well.

But elite? No sir. They are not.

Was Gatti or Mickey Ward elite? No sir.

They gave us one of the most memorable trilogies in boxing history. They were two guys willing to lay it all out on the line.

But elite? Hell no.

Maybe you should research the term elite and discover why so few fit the criteria. Its a pretty exclusive club to be in.

Comment

Based on what?

Who has Bradley fought that makes Bradley a better P4P fighter?

Pacquiao?

LOL ... Pacquiao had just walked away with a tremendous gift before Bradley got his hands on Pacquiao. Manny's stock at that point wasn't catapulting anyone into king of the hill status as nearly any honest fan saw him as damaged goods at that point.
                      Dude Bradley was #1 in a very deep 140. He beat like 4 top 10 contenders, easily. Surely you don't think all divisions are of same strength?

Comment

Working...
                      X