Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to punch with power your best tips please.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn your hips and then your shoulders ahead of your hands.
    Punching is NOT AT ALL like pushing on a heavy object.

Comment

Great tips
      I'd also add relaxing up until the point of impact
      And like the other say, put legs, hips and core into it, think 'explosion' at point of impact, the arm and fist kind of just carry the power through to the target and that is all IMO

One fun way I measure my power; you know those punching arcade games? Where the little bag comes down and u hit it three times and it measures your power? Try that now, train for a month and see if u can beat ur last score, I was really happy with my step in power, although I still haven't beat the top score, I think Tyson had a go

Comment

Another thing to remember is to push with your legs when you punch. The power comes from the legs, through the hips and the arms. I've had to learn that boxing is not mainly an upper body sport.

Comment

Start of with technique. Everything you do should have perfect technique. This will follow with speed and then power (snappy punches).

Also all power is generated through your legs. Other muscles which add the 'snap' and explosiveness to you punches include your core (rotation), 'pop' of the shoulders, snap at the elbow and snap with the hips. Try to focus on turning your feet with proper leverage every punch and snap you hips with you shoulders at the same time. Just before the punch lands 'snap' at the elbow for extra speed and power.

Keep practicing doing all this with a single punch and try to do it as quick as you can (power will then follow). Also make sure you don't start loading up your punches as you will get countered. Also try to relax and not be stiff.

Once you have it down with on punch, start doing it with combinations, just use you weight momentum and leverage to you advantage. For example, after a cross make sure your weight is more on the front foot if you are doing a left hook next.

Comment

When throwing a proper left hook, should your palm be facing the ground or yourself?

Comment

Just a conspiracy theory from me, but I believe quite a bit of power comes from tensing up the body at the moment of impact. If your body is too loose, I believe a bit of the force is pushed back towards you and absorbed within your arm doesn't fully transfer through.

Say you've got two objects of equal mass that have little movement friction. Object 1 is the one moving, object 2 is stationary. Object 1 slams into the stationary object 2, the force is split between the two objects evenly and both objects go off flying equal distances.

Now say object 1 slams into object 2, but right at the moment of impact something causes object 1 to become solid and cemented to the floor like a brick wall. The force from the impact tries to split.. but object 1 won't absorb it, and it get's rejected back into object 2.. now object two goes off flying taking the full force of the impact.

When you get hit to body, you're told to tighten your core to make it solid, this protects you because your trying to become like that brick wall and reject the impact back onto the opponent. Your also told to clench your fist and forearm just before impact too, this helps reject any force that wants to come back to you.. but if somewhere down the chain your loose it will still be absorbed. Now trying throwing a punch with your weight behind it and clench your whole body for that split second at impact.. it'll certainly feel powerful. Seeing some heavy handed fighters hit the bag compared to lighter handed guys, I feel like I can see it in action. The heavy hitters go all stiff, while the lighter handed guys almost begin pulling punches back as soon as it lands. But like I said.... conspiracy theory of mine.

Comment

Working...
              X