Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gervonta Davis: For This I Studied 'Pretty Boy' Floyd, Not 'Money'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he should have fought like money. work smarter not harder. clinch!

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post

Log off......

go soak your head in something besides bourbon.
      To be fair, Berto was very hyped around 2008-2010 when he was undefeated and when he picked up a title. He had a lot of speed and power and seemed a very dangerous fighter.

Berto was never quite as good as many people thought but there's no certainty that Davis is either. There's no rush for him to prove it though, he's still young and should take some decent defences first to keep learning.

Comment

Pretty Boy Floyd is a good fighter to study.

But so is Money Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
          To be fair, Berto was very hyped around 2008-2010 when he was undefeated and when he picked up a title. He had a lot of speed and power and seemed a very dangerous fighter.

Berto was never quite as good as many people thought but there's no certainty that Davis is either. There's no rush for him to prove it though, he's still young and should take some decent defences first to keep learning.
          Hyped and talented are not the same.

Berto never had the level of expectations placed upon his as Davis.

I don't remember anybody turning flips over Andre Berto.

Comment

Log off......

go soak your head in something besides bourbon.
            smh the problem with "fans" is they forget how good fighters used to be when they're no longer at the top. . Berto was a damn beast. that uppercut was scary.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              Pedraza said that he made a mistake for coming down from 135 to make this fight. But he has been defending his IBF 130 title since 2015 and hasn't fought at 135 any of those times. Can someone shed light on to what he is talking about? I haven't seen him at 135 yet, so what is he talking about?
              He said he came down from 155, not 135. Look at Pedraza's weigh in photos. He looked sick!

http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-ja...-weigh--112621

Comment

Hyped and talented are not the same.

Berto never had the level of expectations placed upon his as Davis.

I don't remember anybody turning flips over Andre Berto.
                Nobody was turning flips over Davis until last night or had huge expectations, many had him tipped to lose anyway.

It was a very good win but you know how it is on fight night, people get hyped up and hype the winner up so much on forums like this. When it settles, i'm sure anybody with any sense will understand Davis is still developing and won't have a huge level of expectation on Davis just yet.

I'd say a guy like Broner had a huge level of expectation on him when he was coming up, not Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLorean View Post
                  smh the problem with "fans" is they forget how good fighters used to be when they're no longer at the top. . Berto was a damn beast. that uppercut was scary.

berto was never that good though. look at his resume and his peformances. won the vacant title from mickey rodriguez. that was some good haymoning. defended it against small guys like forbes and juan urango. had a debatable win against collazo...and beat an ok carlos quintana and zaveck although he struggled in both. then he lost like a billion times. he was a top 10-ish fighter that was hyped like he was one of the best ww's in the world when he was not. if he was not on hbo and had the same resume we would be saying hmm this guy is senchenko, when will he fight someone good?

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                    Nobody was turning flips over Davis until last night or had huge expectations, many had him tipped to lose anyway.

It was a very good win but you know how it is on fight night, people get hyped up and hype the winner up so much on forums like this. When it settles, i'm sure anybody with any sense will understand Davis is still developing and won't have a huge level of expectation on Davis just yet.

I'd say a guy like Broner had a huge level of expectation on him when he was coming up, not Davis.
                    That's where you're wrong.

People have been sky high on Davis since he was a child.

You're a Brit....I don't tell you about your scene because you know it better.

Don't tell me about mine.

Davis and Devin Haney are getting off the chart levels of expectations...far greater than Berto and Broner.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      berto was never that good though. look at his resume and his peformances. won the vacant title from mickey rodriguez. that was some good haymoning. defended it against small guys like forbes and juan urango. had a debatable win against collazo...and beat an ok carlos quintana and zaveck although he struggled in both. then he lost like a billion times. he was a top 10-ish fighter that was hyped like he was one of the best ww's in the world when he was not. if he was not on hbo and had the same resume we would be saying hmm this guy is senchenko, when will he fight someone good?
                      i understand all that. but all i was saying is i see similarities between Gervonta Davis and young Berto. both vicious on the inside, combos and uppercuts. .who knows how good Berto would've been, he missed out on his first major fight with Mosley because of the Haitian earthquake. that was gonna be his breakthrough opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                      X